Cruise Critic Community
Alphen

Is this how Yokohama thinks of Westerdam?

Yikes.....wonder if they use some kind of auto-translation program. The paragraph below is pretty awesomely bad also.

33 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yikes.....wonder if they use some kind of auto-translation program. The paragraph below is pretty awesomely bad also.

Did not look that far, indeed some google translate like 😂

When I clicked on the link on my tablet, there is a line that clearly shows it is translated from the Japanese and may not be entirely correct.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

And some individuals keep suggesting to use one of those programs to translate our webpages at work 🤪

24 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

And some individuals keep suggesting to use one of those programs to translate our webpages at work 🤪

Take a screenshot of that page to show to the next person who makes that suggestion. 

But the port gives a fantastic welcome to cruise ships! That makes up for poor computer programs for me :)

We are just kidding around -- truly the internet makes travel so much easier than it once was. It's a pleasure to be able to look up this kind of info and I don't mean to point the finger at anyone for trying to communicate in a language not their own.

I have very different memories of Yokohama and Yokosuka from back in the late 60’s. Sure wasn’t modern like this. 

It is reported that in the early days of AI, a renowned university was developing an English-to-Russian translation program. Their methodology including testing whereby they would feed the program a test sentence, have it translated into Russian, and then take the resulting sentence and re-translate it back into English. The test sentence: "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." After processing, the Russian translation came back as: "The meat is rotten but the liquor is good."

2 hours ago, Petronillus said:

It is reported that in the early days of AI, a renowned university was developing an English-to-Russian translation program. Their methodology including testing whereby they would feed the program a test sentence, have it translated into Russian, and then take the resulting sentence and re-translate it back into English. The test sentence: "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." After processing, the Russian translation came back as: "The meat is rotten but the liquor is good."

Wow, I thought my auto correct was rough!  

We were on Westerdam in April, 2019, and loved Japan and all the ports.  The dockside send offs were appreciated!

3 hours ago, Petronillus said:

"The meat is rotten but the liquor is good."

I think I've eaten there once😁

5 hours ago, HamOp said:

I think I've eaten there once😁

8 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Carnival?

I would have said it’s hard to mess up a name when it’s spelled out for you but my name gets messed up on a regular basis... while I am spelling it out to them!

5 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

and not to mention the ship in the photo is NOT HAL.  I think it is Princess or P&O

Definitely an artist’s rendering and not a photo.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I would have said it’s hard to mess up a name when it’s spelled out for you but my name gets messed up on a regular basis... while I am spelling it out to them!

They're messing up "Miss G?" Wazzup with that?  😎

5 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

It has only recently opened in October last year and I think it is now welcoming its first cruise ships.

Edited by Alphen

On 2/1/2020 at 8:32 AM, HamOp said:

Ho Land America?😁

😬 😂

Land   Ho  !!!!!!

image.png.91f5b44bee44cca70ad9e7d036e28760.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com