Best/worst obstructed balcony cabin on Anthem?

FionaMG

We are thinking about booking Anthem. For our dates, the C&A balcony discount makes a balcony cabin cheaper than an O/V. Since we are not really balcony people we're happy to save a little bit by booking one of the obstructed balconies but I understand some are a lot more obstructed than others. Obviously we'd to get the best i.e. least obstructed, but never having sailed on this class of ship we have no idea which ones we should be aiming for and which ones we should avoid.

So, for those in the know, what would be the best/ worst cabin (least/most obstructed)?

Someone a long time ago posted either a list or a map of Deck 6.  RC classifies the DO (who knows what they call them now?) as either 50% or 75% obstructed.  As you can see from the pic above, 50% may be barely obstructed at all.  And some are more than 75% obstructed.  The potential obstructions are generally  lifeboats and the davit/supports for lifeboats.

Thanks for the chance, Biker, to tell everyone how "wonderful" cabin 6310 is.  😮 

It is the last cabin portside aft.  It has a lifeboat in front of it.  It has a davit in front of it.  And it borders the back wall of Two70, so that part of the bulkhead obstructs the view.

AND...………………………….the wall of the cabin is the back wall of the mezzanine of Two70.  Can we say NOISY???

It didn't bother me.  I'm a night owl.  I get the balcony for the outside and fresh air, rather than for the panoramic view.  I think that anyone else would have been mighty unhappy.

(I can't get that photo to attach 😞 )

Now, the cabin that I am in right now is not much better. (6162)  Lifeboat.  Check.  Davit.  Check.  Not the bulkhead, the balcony divider to the next balcony blocks whatever is left of the view looking forward.  Yes, it's a larger surface area, but is more blocked because of the angle.

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

• Thanks 1

The Deck 7 and Deck 8 cabins all the way forward that are classed as "obstructed" really are not.

If anyone is familiar with the original Voyager class ships (Voyager, Explorer, Adventure), the balcony outer wall is part of the hull.  The balcony is not "attached to the outside" of the ship.  This is the same effect you get on the balconies as pictured above this post.  It's a "cut-out" in the steel.

• Thanks 1

Here is deck plan I did that shows the location of the deck 6 davits on Anthem.

Smaller arrows are for lower davits for smaller lifeboats and Diamond is single davit for little skiffs just aft of the hump. Avoid the balconies with double davits in front of them.

AnthemDavits.jpg

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Fellow crusiers. This is very helpful, wish I had it when booking.  Whats crazy about this ship is even some JS cabins have obstructions, they're all booked when I ws able to pull the trigger away.  Snagged a great deal on deck 7 for my March cruise and think were ok. 7658...    but boy are they snug...with so little storage space.  Maybe I will be surprised and after all it's a cruise so all good.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, SConnolly said:

Fellow crusiers. This is very helpful, wish I had it when booking.  Whats crazy about this ship is even some JS cabins have obstructions, they're all booked when I ws able to pull the trigger away.  Snagged a great deal on deck 7 for my March cruise and think were ok. 7658...    but boy are they snug...with so little storage space.  Maybe I will be surprised and after all it's a cruise so all good.

This is a you tube video I found while researching the "square" cabins. The cabin in the video is the exact same on the port side. 7658 is starboard and I think there is a smoking area two decks under on that side, if it bothers you.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/youtube.php?id=3844

22 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I keep finding more reasons to not book Quantum class ships.

On 2/1/2020 at 2:32 PM, AnnieC623 said:

We had an obstructed view - Cabin 8512. We loved it.

Xenia

DSCN4058.jpg

DSCN4056.jpg

I love this. Very nice. Thanks for this piece of info. I will look into these cabins in the future. I love the privacy on the balcony!

On 2/1/2020 at 1:37 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Now, the cabin that I am in right now is not much better. (6162)  Lifeboat.  Check.  Davit.  Check.  Not the bulkhead, the balcony divider to the next balcony blocks whatever is left of the view looking forward.  Yes, it's a larger surface area, but is more blocked because of the angle.

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

Looks like in case of emergency you can take a flying leap right into the lifeboat. 

On 2/1/2020 at 4:29 PM, robtulipe said:

Below are screen shots of deck 6 balconies superimposed over deck 5 showing lifeboats, tenders and skiffs locations.

Portlifeboats.jpg

SBlifeboats.jpg

On some photos, there seems to be a life boat in front of 6254, 6258, 6260. But on this plan (and the one on RCL website, it doesn't show it. Anyone know if it is truly there?

4 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Looks like in case of emergency you can take a flying leap right into the lifeboat. 

More like an easy step.  😉  

You know how one day on your cruise, you get a letter on the bed advising you that tomorrow will be balcony washing day, so don't leave anything out there, and keep your curtains closed if you want privacy?

One day, NOT this notified day, I looked out my balcony window and there were two guys on the lifeboat, cleaning it.  I quickly closed the curtain.  😮   (but we can all feel safer knowing that they DO clean the windows on the lifeboats, so that the operators can SEE in an emergency evacuation. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Those that are not rectangular? LOL

Couple of square shaped cabins on deck 6 and 7  6254, 6258, 6654. 6658. Category 2E obstructed Balcony.

Haha, right. :classic_laugh:

I wasn't aware of these cabins so thanks for the tip. They look quite interesting. Have you actually sailed in one and, if so, what did you think of it?

On 2/4/2020 at 4:39 AM, Merion_Mom said:

One day, NOT this notified day, I looked out my balcony window and there were two guys on the lifeboat, cleaning it.  I quickly closed the curtain.  😮   (but we can all feel safer knowing that they DO clean the windows on the lifeboats, so that the operators can SEE in an emergency evacuation. 😄

Similar thing happened to us in one of the forward-facing cabins on Oasis. We were on deck seven, so level with the helicopter pad. I threw the curtains open one morning and there was a yoga group out there! :classic_laugh: