Allowed medical exemption to both having to buy Drink Package - consequences if exempted person drinks anyway?

it's not just that the person on the refreshment package should be able to purchase a drink, it's that in this case the passengers have told the cruise line, which requires everyone to have the same package, that the person with the refreshment package was medically unable to drink - so the line would make an exception to the policy that, admittedly, was put in place to make sure the packages weren't shared. So I'd kind of expect that there could be consequences if the person who claimed they were medically unable to drink alcohol buys themselves an alcoholic drink.

Anyway they must have changed from last year because I was told that not only do you need a medical exemption to get different packages in the same room, it needs to be submitted in writing.

Edited by makiramarlena
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You don’t need to ask for a medical exemption. 

Where did I say that. Go back and read the original post by OP. He asked for a medical exception because of heavy medications so as to only buy one drink package and a beverage. Now she wants to drink. 

If she wants to drink, cancel his drink package and buy À la cart  Royal doesn’t make an exception for one wanting to drink a bunch and one wanting a few. It’s the way it is. Anything else is trying to game the system. 

• Like 3

This, all this is how and why this offer of an exemption will be removed. RCL used to only let one person get the package, then after tons of YouTube videos and posts on boards like this telling people "IT's NOT STEALING", "THE CRUISE LINES DESERVE IT" they took it away.

Now they are trying to be cool and help out for situations like this and once again some folks are going to screw it up for the rest of us because the other person just wants one drink...

Then it is going to be RCL's fault for being a cold, heartless, profiteering company.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I've always just called RCL direct instread of buying online. RCL does require my wife to purchase the refreshment package though, which she does. We've never used any reason such as 'medical' etc.  

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe the point of the OP is he asked for a Medical Exemption for non drinking spouse who wants to drink. Royal requires all in same cabin 21+ to buy drink package if one buys it. 

27 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Where did I say that. Go back and read the original post by OP. He asked for a medical exception because of heavy medications so as to only buy one drink package and a beverage. Now she wants to drink. 

If she wants to drink, cancel his drink package and buy À la cart  Royal doesn’t make an exception for one wanting to drink a bunch and one wanting a few. It’s the way it is. Anything else is trying to game the system. 

You initial response to Goodtime brought up the OP asking for a medical exemption.  Goodtime was simply stating like many others in this thread that you do not need to state a reason for not wanting to purchase 2 Dlx  packages.

What  the OP said initially about requesting a medical exemption is irrelevant as they will allow it without any reason whatsoever.  Their rules. No one is gaming the system.  

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You initial response to Goodtime brought up the OP asking for a medical exemption.  Goodtime was simply stating like many others in this thread that you do not need to state a reason for not wanting to purchase 2 Dlx  packages.

What  the OP said initially about requesting a medical exemption is irrelevant as they will allow it without any reason whatsoever.  Their rules. No one is gaming the system.  

So the new game in town is to call Royal, get one drink package and a beverage package while both parties are going to drink.  Hum...

The policy still remains one has drink package, all have it. Exceptions are permitted on case by case basis. Any plan to get around the policy to continue to drink is gaming the system. 

• Like 1

Call me crazy but if a person can not have more than one alcoholic bevvy per day for medical reasons, that sounds like a perfect reason to be exempted from having to purchase a package they can literally NEVER get any value out of.  I don't get all the animosity to the OP. He clearly states they are happy to pay for wife's drink.  I think it's a lousy policy to require both to buy a package. Not all travel companions or couples drink the same amount.  And enough about the sharing, the cheating. It's not that easy to do, as two people can't enjoy a drink together at the same time if they're trying to share and it would make drinks with a meal in any dining room together impossible, who really wants that headache on vacation. Royal can just put a daily limit like other cruise lines if they're so hell bent on preventing sharing. Forcing the sale of a VERY expensive package to a person who cannot get any value from it is robbery IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

So the new game in town is to call Royal, get one drink package and a beverage package while both parties are going to drink.  Hum...

The policy still remains one has drink package, all have it. Exceptions are permitted on case by case basis. Any plan to get around the policy to continue to drink is gaming the system. 

You are reading way more into the policy than there actually is.

i have not read one single post where anyone who has called in to buy 1 plus the refreshment being denied. By their actions Royal has effectively set that as the standard and in no way can that be considered gaming the system 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s not a game. It’s also not new.  Look, I can only speak for myself but I purchase the Bev pkg, the wife doesn’t. She doesn’t drink as much as I do. So... we call into RCL. They make the exception where the website doesn’t. We’re both Diamond. Between the happy hour perk and/or the three drinks placed on her SeaPass, she’s good to go. And if she wants a drink outside of the Happy Hour perk she pays. 
Try it. It works. Or at least it has on our last four or five cruises. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I experienced something related on my Liberty cruise last spring that makes they think they do track drink purchases for people in the same cabin. My bestie and I both bought the drink package, but I'm an early riser and I typically went the gym and then brought coffee drinks back to the cabin for both of us afterward. One the first day when I attempted to get 2 cafe lattes with my sea pass card, the guy at the register checked to see if anyone in my cabin did not have a drink package before he gave it to me. He would also only give me a max of 2 bottled waters. On subsequent dass, he recognized me so he didn't check the folio but I was limited to 2 coffee drinks and 2 waters. This led me to believe that they are monitoring who's buying what with drink packages in the same cabin.

32 minutes ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

I experienced something related on my Liberty cruise last spring that makes they think they do track drink purchases for people in the same cabin. My bestie and I both bought the drink package, but I'm an early riser and I typically went the gym and then brought coffee drinks back to the cabin for both of us afterward. One the first day when I attempted to get 2 cafe lattes with my sea pass card, the guy at the register checked to see if anyone in my cabin did not have a drink package before he gave it to me. He would also only give me a max of 2 bottled waters. On subsequent dass, he recognized me so he didn't check the folio but I was limited to 2 coffee drinks and 2 waters. This led me to believe that they are monitoring who's buying what with drink packages in the same cabin.

Two waters per person is standard regardless of how many in the cabin have the package. My wife gets the refreshment package and no one else has a package and she gets 2 waters whenever she asks.  

The coffee, that’s different.

On 2/11/2020 at 4:08 PM, grouchomarx said:

Forcing the sale of a VERY expensive package to a person who cannot get any value from it is robbery IMO.

They're not forcing anyone to get the booze package.  They're just restricting who CAN buy it.  

If you have two people over the age of 21yo in a room, you have the option of getting:

Two booze packages

or
One booze package and one refreshment package

or 
Pay As You Go for all drinks

or

any combination of soda/refreshment packages

At no point is ANYONE forced to buy a booze package against their will.  

• Like 2

On 2/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, icsys said:

If Royal didn't charge so damned much for their packages in the first place no one would have these issues!

I don't know about that.  My Sept. 2020 Cruise on Star Princess is at $70 a day per person and Princess never has anything on sale.

48 minutes ago, brillohead said:

They're not forcing anyone to get the booze package.  They're just restricting who CAN buy it.  

If you have two people over the age of 21yo in a room, you have the option of getting:

Two booze packages

or
One booze package and one refreshment package

or 
Pay As You Go for all drinks

or

any combination of soda/refreshment packages

At no point is ANYONE forced to buy a booze package against their will.  

There always seems to be a lot of confusion to the bold and underlined above. This combination  can not be purchased online, only by phone or on-board the ship. Even though many people have reported that you do NOT need to give a medical reason for purchasing this combination, some others feel it's "gaming" the system.  

Not sure why as Royal allows it, no questions asked.

EDIT TO ADD: But yeah, agreed to your point. No one is forced to buy a booze package they don't want.  The only "issue" I can see is that it's not really well advertised anywhere. So unless you read CC, you would not know that this option exist. Then again, if they do advertise it, then that might encourage "sharing" of the booze package.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:06 PM, Sandman799 said:

True, that is an option, but as stated in the OP, we'd prefer to not have to be sneaky about it.  Who needs the stress of worrying about getting caught doing something wrong while on vacation?  I thought they may be OK with us paying full price separately if we really only bought a few drinks for her.  I could keep all purchases on my card to be on the safe side, but what if anyone took note of the fact that the drinks were given to her, and she was given the exemption?  Not sure they'd go to that amount of trouble, but wanted to at least know how this has worked for others.

You’re not being sneaky as long as you tell the bartender that you want to be billed for one of the drinks you’re ordering. 

As for the person who bought an alcoholic drink and their refreshment package was changed to a deluxe, whose to say that person wasn’t buying a drink for someone they met at the bar? That seems like a slippery slope for the computer system to make assumptions about who is drinking the drink that got purchased. Unless there’s some clause in the rules when you buy the package or get the exemption that says you’ll get charged for the deluxe package if you purchase alcohol on your card then I wouldn’t think they could do that. 

On 2/1/2020 at 9:25 PM, icsys said:

Your card or her card, it goes on the same folio number doesn't it?

What I find totally bizarre is why someone who has purchased a refreshment package cannot then purchase an alcoholic drink!

If the other person in the cabin didn't have the alcohol package, the person with the Refreshment package could buy a drink.  It wouldn't be a problem.

The problem arises when someone says he/she doesn't/can't drink and is granted an exemption, then purchases a drink.  I, personally, think that someone's saying I don't drink, and then decides to buy a drink when granted the exemption, is going to ruin it for the rest of us.  The cruise line isn't stupid and there is no doubt they are doing some kind of study etc and will know that there are people who can't drink because of medical reasons, miraculously cured when they board a ship.

I believe if you said you can't/won't/don't drink to not have to pay for the 2nd package, then you shouldn't buy drinks or drink.  It's not fair to the rest of us who do pay the full price when we drink only a couple or 3 drinks a day, but do like the specialty coffee or bottled water.  JMO and I know I am in the minority with this thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

If the other person in the cabin didn't have the alcohol package, the person with the Refreshment package could buy a drink.  It wouldn't be a problem.

The problem arises when someone says he/she doesn't/can't drink and is granted an exemption, then purchases a drink.  I, personally, think that someone's saying I don't drink, and then decides to buy a drink when granted the exemption, is going to ruin it for the rest of us.  The cruise line isn't stupid and there is no doubt they are doing some kind of study etc and will know that there are people who can't drink because of medical reasons, miraculously cured when they board a ship.

I believe if you said you can't/won't/don't drink to not have to pay for the 2nd package, then you shouldn't buy drinks or drink.  It's not fair to the rest of us who do pay the full price when we drink only a couple or 3 drinks a day, but do like the specialty coffee or bottled water.  JMO and I know I am in the minority with this thinking.

What you are failing to take into consideration is that you don't need an exemption to buy 1 drink package and 1 refreshment package in the same cabin.

When we called a few months ago to order a drink package for DH and a refreshment package for me they didn't object or ask any questions.  The only thing they asked us for was our credit card number.  

While the OP may have told them "my wife can't drink" I have a hard time believing the person on the other end of the phone made note of this or even cared.  I also have a hard time believing that once onboard, there will be some of notification saying "can't drink alcohol" each time the OPs wifes card is swiped.  

• Like 1

OK, so I will finally put this post to bed.  I very much appreciate everyone's replies, but need to clarify a few things, then will let you know what RCI had to say.

1.  What is the policy regarding who must buy the Deluxe Beverage Package? 

If purchased on line through the Cruise Planner, the description of the Deluxe Beverage Package says "Each adult of legal drinking age assigned to the same stateroom must purchase this package".  However, many have said that if you call RCI to order the beverage packages, it's possible to get one person the Deluxe Beverage Package, and get the second adult in the room the Refreshment Package.  In my case, I knew they would do this, but thought there had to be a good reason for the second person not being able to drink, such as for medical reasons, so that is the reason I gave.  I wasn't asked, but I did volunteer that my wife could not drink a lot due to medical reasons to explain why I wanted to get one Deluxe Beverage Package, and one Refreshment Package.  Many on this thread have said they neither offered a reason or were asked for a reason and were allowed to purchase one Deluxe Beverage Package, and one Refreshment Package.  So, the policy seems to depend on whether you're purchasing on line through the Cruise Planner, or calling RCI to order over the phone. 

2.  Is it abusing or gaming the system if someone buys the Deluxe Beverage Package for one person, and only the Refreshment Package for the other, under the guise of the second person not being able to drink, but then the person with the Refreshment Package drinks anyway?  I would say Yes, if the only way the second person were able to get the Refreshment Package instead of the Deluxe Beverage Package were due to medical reasons, or if that were falsely used as a reason to get the Refreshment Package for the second person and there were any stipulation that those using this reason could not later purchase alcohol.  In my case, I did use that reason, and later reconsidered that perhaps she may like a drink with dinner.  Yes, we could bring a bottle of wine on board, but don't want to bother with that, and she may want something other than wine.  My thinking was that if she drank anyway, even if just one drink per day, and even if paid for separately from my Deluxe Beverage Package, since I was allowed to get her the Refreshment Package based on her inability to drink, this would possibly be abusing the system, but they never stipulated that she could not later buy alcohol.  Yes, that may be implied, but since I would be paying for it separately, perhaps that would be OK.  I created this post to try to determine where RCI drew the line on this and what the consequences may be.  I wasn't trying to be misleading when I told RCI she could not drink, as her medical advise is not to drink at all, but she can drink one drink per day with no ill effects.  More than that does make her sick.  So, I wanted to see if she might still have the option to have one drink per day.  To answer this question, it appears that since those ordering over the phone are allowed to buy the Deluxe Beverage Package for one adult. and only the Refreshment Package for the second adult, with no explanation necessary, it doesn't seem to matter at all if one did offer a medical reason for wanting to purchase this combination of packages. In short, if purchasing this combination of packages is permitted, even if only over the phone, then the person with the Beverage Package can feel free to still purchase alcohol if paid for separate from the Deluxe Package.  If no explanation or reason is needed or requested, and no stipulation is provided saying the person with the Refreshment Package cannot also purchase alcohol, then there's no policy violation, and no abuse of the system.

3.  Will those who do this cause RCI to eventually tighten restrictions and not allow any such exemptions in the future?  Only RCI could answer this, but since their own policy allows this they're apparently not too concerned with some cabins not being held to the (on-line only) requirement that all adults of legal age in the same cabin purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package.  The only remaining concern comes back to people sharing the Deluxe Beverage Package.  If that continues to happen, then that could be a reason to eliminate all possibility of buying this combination of packages.  However, keep in mind, it would not be because the person with the Refreshment Package drank anyway, but because the person with the Deluxe Package shared their drinks.  I consider that stealing and have no intention of doing so.  All of her drinks will be paid for on her Sea Pass card. 

4.  I agree with another poster that if they don't even bother asking for a reason to allow buying the second person the Refreshment Package, it's highly unlikely they'd make a note of any medical reason if it were offered, as in my case.  As I said in my original post, we'd like the freedom to allow her to buy a drink if she'd like without feeling as if we're abusing the system or violating any policies and having to be sneaky about it.  So, to play it safe I decided to simply call and ask about it.  Here is a verbatim transcript of the call:

RCI:  Thank you for calling Royal Caribbean Guest Cruise Line.  My name is (unintelligible), may I help you?

Me:  Yes, I have a question about the drinks packages.  When we booked our cruise we got the Deluxe drink package for me, and we got the Refreshment package for my wife, and that’s because she’s not able to drink a lot, and they allowed that.  But what I’m wondering is if she wanted to have, say a glass of wine with dinner - now she can only drink one drink a day, at most - but if she were to do that, is that automatically going to  cause me to get charged for another package for her?  And we do plan on paying for it separately.

RCI:  No, definitely not sir because umm, I don’t know, I think sometimes there is, like, some wines that are included, there might be, there might not be, but if there is not, umm it will not cost any total like a complete package, it will just be separate.

Me:  OK, that….

RCI:  Just be an extra charge.

Me:  Well, that’s what I wanted to make sure, but you know, on line it says if one person has the drink package then all people have to have it, and as little as she can drink that would be way too much,.so they allowed her to get just the refreshment package, but  I wanted to make sure that didn’t absolutely prohibit her from having, say one drink a day, as long as it’s paid for separately.

RCI:  It definitely doesn’t prohibit but the only thing is that she will have to pay, I mean you, you guys will have to pay separately

Me:  Oh yes.

RCI:  It doesn’t mean that you will be charged for the whole Deluxe Beverage Package.

Me: Ok, that’s what I want to make sure.  Alright, Thank You, I appreciate it!  Bye!

RCI:  You’re welcome Sir, anything else I can assist you with?

Me: No, that’s it.

RCI:  Thank you so much for calling Royal Caribbean.  Have a great day.

Me: Thank You!  Bye-bye.

So, for all those reading this, you should not feel forced to adhere to policy within the Cruise Planner that says "Each adult of legal drinking age assigned to the same stateroom must purchase this package".  You can call and request separate Deluxe Beverage and Refreshment Packages, and even if you originally said this was needed for medical reasons, if you later decide that the person with the Refreshment Package would like an alcoholic drink, you only need to pay for it separately.  They will not automatically convert the Refreshment Package to a Deluxe Beverage Package.  With this option available, nobody should feel forced to buy a second Deluxe Beverage Package for someone who will not drink enough for it to pay for itself, or feel forced to buy all drinks a-la-carte, which for the person who does get their money's worth from the Deluxe Beverage Package, might be cost prohibitive and thus diminish their vacation experience and enjoyment. 

Yes, this certainly would decrease RCI's profits from what they'd be if we had no options other than to buy two Deluxe Beverage Packages, or buy all of our drinks a-la-carte, but if this were the case I would simply cruise elsewhere that had more flexible options.  I think RCI see's there needs to be a middle ground for those cases where the Deluxe Beverage Package is a better value for one person, but not both.  There's still a risk that people will share the Deluxe Beverage Package, but the loss from this is decreased due to the second person being required to buy the Refreshment Package, not just the Classic Soda package, Water Bottle Package, or no package at all, and it offers a solution that meets our needs, so we remain RCI customers.  I think it's a smart business decision and am glad to see there is that flexibility.

Edited by Sandman799
corrections entered
  • Like 3