Corona virus RCI policy

Just cancelled our Quantum cruise from Singapore next week. With the ever changing situation we just decided it was too risky, not so much of us getting the virus but being put in quarantine and getting stuck somewhere. We booked the whole thing with a UK ta who is refunding us in full, we might all moan about the inflated UK prices but grateful for all the protection when something goes wrong.  At the same time we booked to fly out to Dubai next Wednesday and board Jewel the following Monday so not all bad news!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

This is also why I have mentioned people should consider buying cancel for any reason insurance.

This form of insurance has stipulations as well and is not a blanket catch-all for every situation where typical travel insurance doesn't apply.  I cringe when I see people make this recommendation when most people have not read through exactly what a CFAR policy actually covers.  Some only offer partial coverage (75% is common) so you are out the other portion plus cost of the insurance when you have to make a claim.  There are also stipulations for notifying the carrier that you are cancelling 48 to 72 hours of departure to where you can't just decide day of you don't want to go and no-show.   Plus if your CFAR insurance is for your entire trip (from when you leave home until you return) you can't just claim CFAR for a portion of the trip.  You began your trip when you left your house and CFAR coverage ceased 24-72 prior to that.

It's better than nothing in some cases, but if you insured your entire trip (including flights and whatnot) and decide to cancel a cruise in the middle of that trip, CFAR won't apply.  If you buy CFAR just for the cruise itself and cancel in enough time, then you could get some money back.

1 hour ago, kernow said:

Just cancelled our Quantum cruise from Singapore next week. With the ever changing situation we just decided it was too risky, not so much of us getting the virus but being put in quarantine and getting stuck somewhere. We booked the whole thing with a UK ta who is refunding us in full, we might all moan about the inflated UK prices but grateful for all the protection when something goes wrong.  At the same time we booked to fly out to Dubai next Wednesday and board Jewel the following Monday so not all bad news!

Fully understand where you are coming from as the situation is changing daily. Also booked through a U.K. travel agent on this occasion but will hold off for now as we have longer to go until our cruise. Enjoy Dubai, should be a nice temperature. Love the Jewel also, going back on in October {hopefully!}.  

As much as I hate to say this.....I think ALL CRUISE SHIPS need to STOP CRUISING ANYWHERE.  It's the responsible thing to do.  And "Yes" I realize this could be catastrophic for the bottom line but at what point do we put lives above profit?  We are scheduled to cruise in May so "yes" I do have a horse in this race.  I'm just not thinking the risk outweighs the enjoyment.

1 minute ago, Wilsonsmama224 said:

As much as I hate to say this.....I think ALL CRUISE SHIPS need to STOP CRUISING ANYWHERE.  It's the responsible thing to do.  And "Yes" I realize this could be catastrophic for the bottom line but at what point do we put lives above profit?  We are scheduled to cruise in May so "yes" I do have a horse in this race.  I'm just not thinking the risk outweighs the enjoyment.

Shut down air travel too...?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wilsonsmama224 said:

That seems a little over the top at the moment.  I can see temporarily suspending Asian itineraries now and until further notice as that region seems to be where the bulk of the virus is spreading.

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

This form of insurance has stipulations as well and is not a blanket catch-all for every situation where typical travel insurance doesn't apply.  I cringe when I see people make this recommendation when most people have not read through exactly what a CFAR policy actually covers.  Some only offer partial coverage (75% is common) so you are out the other portion plus cost of the insurance when you have to make a claim.  There are also stipulations for notifying the carrier that you are cancelling 48 to 72 hours of departure to where you can't just decide day of you don't want to go and no-show.   Plus if your CFAR insurance is for your entire trip (from when you leave home until you return) you can't just claim CFAR for a portion of the trip.  You began your trip when you left your house and CFAR coverage ceased 24-72 prior to that.

It's better than nothing in some cases, but if you insured your entire trip (including flights and whatnot) and decide to cancel a cruise in the middle of that trip, CFAR won't apply.  If you buy CFAR just for the cruise itself and cancel in enough time, then you could get some money back.

These are all true stipulations (I’ve mentioned them before in other posts) but you can actually use it for just a portion of a trip if it comes with the trip interruption clause. You just have to have spent at least 48 hours on the vacation before you can use it.

3 hours ago, kernow said:

I think I commented some months ago that I was looking forward to your views on the cruise as we were tempted to do the same itinerary at a later date. Very disappointed for you but I think you've done the right thing (and for the very reasons you give) and very glad to hear you were reimbursed in full - we always book with a UK TA despite others singing the praises of booking in the US and this shows how valuable UK protection is.

Hope you enjoy your Jewel cruise very much

5 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I think I commented some months ago that I was looking forward to your views on the cruise as we were tempted to do the same itinerary at a later date. Very disappointed for you but I think you've done the right thing (and for the very reasons you give) and very glad to hear you were reimbursed in full - we always book with a UK TA despite others singing the praises of booking in the US and this shows how valuable UK protection is.

Hope you enjoy your Jewel cruise very much

Thanks, really disappointed not to be going on Quantum as it was a new ship for us. As things stand at the moment there are similar cruises next year so we'll wait and see what happens and may re-book for then.

We love Jewel and Dubai so happy to be going there, fingers crossed for no more dramas!

• Like 1

Perfect thanks very much for that.  I am waiting for a call back been on the phone but the girl i spoke to was the wrong dept and could not help. Said someone will phone today, tomorrow or soon.  

Thanks again

Enjoy Dubai 

Based on the information in this link:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/anthem-of-the-seas-updates

It looks like the protocol is being updated now from:

Additional health screenings for anyone that holds a Chinese, Hong Kong, or Macau passport – regardless of when they were there last.

to:

Any guests holding a Chinese, Hong Kong, or Macau passport, regardless of when they were there last, will not be allowed to board our ships

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gerginator said:

Based on the information in this link:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/anthem-of-the-seas-updates

It looks like the protocol is being updated now from:

Additional health screenings for anyone that holds a Chinese, Hong Kong, or Macau passport – regardless of when they were there last.

to:

Any guests holding a Chinese, Hong Kong, or Macau passport, regardless of when they were there last, will not be allowed to board our ships

Well that new policy feels discriminatory to me.  So a citizen of Hong Kong who has, for example, been living and studying in Toronto for the past three years and not returned to Asia in all that time would be denied boarding simply because if his nationality?  

I'm all for safety measures, but that's just blatent xenophobia.  I hope RCI rethinks this quickly. I generally like the company.  I can understand why issuing FCCs is happening (though also understand why it's frustrating to many).   But this?  Yeah, it really rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BHannis said:

Does anyone know what RCL is doing with those who show up to the terminal with a cough, but it's due to a cold or other non-coronavirus reason? Are they just denying boarding to everyone with these symptoms or is that just based on the additional screening?

With it being cold and flu season in the US, I see this scenario happening a lot.

I am concerned about this being that I just received a new email that now states:

Additionally, there will be mandatory specialized health screenings performed on:

• Guests who are unsure if they have been in contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the past 15 days.
  • Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms.
  • Any guest presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screening will be denied boarding.

I'm traveling with two small kids who could run a low grade fever from something like teething. And what is flu like symptoms? Someone with the sniffles could be pulled aside and denied? And realistically someone that has a cold could run a low fever but feel ok enough to travel. I have a cold right now but I feel fine.

Edited by BeachChik

1 hour ago, xxHadleyxx said:

So a citizen of Hong Kong who has, for example, been living and studying in Toronto for the past three years and not returned to Asia in all that time would be denied boarding simply because if his nationality?  

I had the same question. Is it even legal? Why would passport matter? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Well that new policy feels discriminatory to me.  So a citizen of Hong Kong who has, for example, been living and studying in Toronto for the past three years and not returned to Asia in all that time would be denied boarding simply because if his nationality?  

I'm all for safety measures, but that's just blatent xenophobia.  I hope RCI rethinks this quickly. I generally like the company.  I can understand why issuing FCCs is happening (though also understand why it's frustrating to many).   But this?  Yeah, it really rubs me the wrong way.

I totally agree. There are people who hold citizenship of a country they have never even been to because their parents or grandparents are from that country. And there are people who have lived in a country their entire life without being a citizen. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LoveTheSoul said:

For SAFETY! Not because they have something against a particular race.

Tell me what does having a Chinese passport do anything about safety. If you haven't been to China in a year why do they need to be screened???? Should they screen every american because there was a case in New Jersey? It is a bunch of fear mongering directed towards one country basically even though lots of countries are effected.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

Should they screen every american because there was a case in New Jersey?

I wouldn't be opposed to that at all if it's for the safety of my health and others that also live on this planet.  I wouldn't once think of it as a race issue. 

Edited by LoveTheSoul
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoveTheSoul said:

I wouldn't be opposed to that at all if it's for the safety of my health and others that also live on this planet.  I would not once think this is because of my race. 

Um xenophobia is not race... American is not a race. but you notice even though Americans have the virus they are not signaled out.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dotwarner said:

I totally agree. There are people who hold citizenship of a country they have never even been to because their parents or grandparents are from that country. And there are people who have lived in a country their entire life without being a citizen. 

I think they are now playing the odds more.  Since they have added "have you had contact with anyone from the area" question, they fully know that people are going to lie- just like they do for the health quiz.  While it's far from universal, the odds of someone with a passport from the area contacting someone there is much higher than the nominal population.

Besides, the demands for our public safety forces the CDC and all travel companies to at least LOOK like they are doing something.

Not fair, sure.  But playing the odds makes it kind of suck.