Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

20 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

There's no evidence that its spreading further no new cases as far as I'm aware in the last 24 hours. There have been reports that more doctors and nurses are being taken on board but in the UK press this seems to be in response to concerns about passengers with pre existing conditions and elderly passengers who need medical care NOT the corona virus. It could also be that they are going to start testing everyone as well which would need a lot of medical staff.

the longer they are on there the more other conditions will surface...very little movement, diet high in carbs and difficult to cater to special needs, for some very little fresh air on and on...cruisers on this type of cruise ie 14 days are often older and have lots of medical conditions....this can't be good for high bp or heart conditions...and then you have the mental component of being confined with no ability to leave for this long....depression? Lots of things. These all could keep doctors very busy not to mention the main attraction the "virus".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, perditax said:

Actual non-bickering news:

From another thread: apparently there are moves to remove elderly persons from the ship. It's not clear where they'll go.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/11/national/science-health/japan-elderly-leave-quarantined-diamond-princess-cruise-ship/

"The government is planning to allow elderly passengers as well as those with chronic illnesses to leave the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship soon, possibly on Tuesday, a source familiar with the matter said."

Tuesday will be Feb 18th. The quarantine is slated to end on Feb 19th. That's only 1 day earlier....unless they are planning on extending the quarantine for anyone not elderly/with chronic illnesses.....????

14 minutes ago, dog said:

Well, here you are “guessing” .

So let’s just say it was my guess that The virus is continuing to spread on the ship. There is too much unknown at this point. 

I have no idea who would pay for it but I do know that the State Department doesn't budget for anything like that and is, in fact, prohibited from doing so by law. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/what-state-dept-can-cant-do-crisis.html

Will the US Government Pay for Evacuation if it is needed?

No. U.S. law requires that the assisted evacuation of private U.S. citizens or third country nationals be provided “on a reimbursable basis to the maximum extent practicable.” However, we do understand that you may not be able to access your own money during a crisis. For evacuation transportation that we arrange to transport you out of a crisis location, you do not have to pay before you board. To board these transports, you will need to complete and sign a form promising to repay the U.S. government. The amount billed to evacuees is based on the cost of a full fare economy flight, or comparable alternate transportation, to the designated destination(s) that would have been charged immediately prior to the events giving rise to the evacuation. Because different evacuation transports may go to different destinations, the cost of one transport may be different than another. We encourage people to leave on the first transport they are able and eligible to board.

As mentioned above, an evacuation is almost always to a nearby location away from the crisis, which is very rarely to the United States. You are also responsible for the costs you may incur in the destination, including hotel, food, clothing, medication, and other necessities.

Emergency financial assistance in the form of a loan may be available to U.S. citizens who are unable to pay for their onward travel to the United States.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Tuesday will be Feb 18th. The quarantine is slated to end on Feb 19th. That's only 1 day earlier....unless they are planning on extending the quarantine for anyone not elderly/with chronic illnesses.....????

I think they are going to stagger the passengers getting off...depending on what screening etc. If they are testing them they probably expect more positive results and this could really get overwhelming. Makes sense to do two stage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kathy49 said:

I think they are going to stagger the passengers getting off...depending on what screening etc. If they are testing them they probably expect more positive results and this could really get overwhelming. Makes sense to do two stage.

I agree...but reporting it to make it sound as if they are getting people off "early" is a little misleading. Although, by that point, I'm sure even one day ahead of schedule will be huge for the poor folks stuck on board!

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

any word about 'Tuesday' being today Tuesday ? lots of posts about ambulances being lined up and Doctors / Nurses boarding 

good question...David Abel does daily reports but he cannot see over there....but eventually captain does tell them but sometime after they are off. He will report again late today which is morning for them and that is when the ambulances show up...at this point it could also be for other medical emergencies.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, voljeep said:

any word about 'Tuesday' being today Tuesday ? lots of posts about ambulances being lined up and Doctors / Nurses boarding 

According to the Japan Times "45 doctors, 55 nurses, and 45 pharmacists have arrived on the ship."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/11/national/science-health/japan-elderly-leave-quarantined-diamond-princess-cruise-ship/#.XkLZ_hNKjPA

On the other Cruise Critic thread "Princess Cruises and Corona Virus" someone with a balcony posted a picture of the large number of ambulances on the dock about 1 hour ago. Check it out.

It is actually Wed morning in Tokyo now. On Sunday (USA time) the captain announced 60+ additional cases. No other cases have been announced since which leaves me wondering. If there have been no new cases since Sunday why not make an announcement to that effect, it would be good news. I hope I am wrong but this leaves me concerned.

Edited by bluesea321

41 minutes ago, capriccio said:
56 minutes ago, dog said:

Well, here you are “guessing” .

So let’s just say it was my guess that The virus is continuing to spread on the ship. There is too much unknown at this point. 

capriccio said: I have no idea who would pay for it but I do know that the State Department doesn't budget for anything like that and is, in fact, prohibited from doing so by law. 

I am sorry, I do not understand why you are quoting me. I did not mention anything about the State Dept paying.  dog

41 minutes ago, capriccio said:

58 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

The article was posted today/Tuesday local time, I believe the implication is that some people were coming off that day.

(Grammar is weird because it's now after midnight there.)

14 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

good question...David Abel does daily reports but he cannot see over there....but eventually captain does tell them but sometime after they are off. He will report again late today which is morning for them and that is when the ambulances show up...at this point it could also be for other medical emergencies.

did not see above post

Edited by dog

6 minutes ago, dog said:

I am sorry, I do not understand why you are quoting me. I did not mention anything about the State Dept paying.  dog

Sorry dog!  I was adding to your response to frugaltravel's earlier comment and should have quoted that:

And who would be paying for this? My guess is that most Americans on the cruise ship wouldn't want or have the funds to pay for it. Most travel insurances wouldn't pay for it. It certainly isn't fair for taxpayers to bear this cost. That doesn't leave many options.

• Thanks 1

David Abel, on his Facebook video read out a letter from the British Embassy saying that 50 Pharmacists, 50 Doctors and 50 Nurses (can't remember the actual number quoted) would be coming onboard. He surmised that it was for testing passengers / crew before the quarantine period had ended and / or checking up on the elderly or people with health problems, the captain had informed them that this lat group would be release a day earlier on Tuesday 18th. Feb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, voljeep said:

On his last video (which would have been Tuesday evening their time) David said that they had heard the elderly may be allowed off as early as Tuesday - so presumably next Tuesday. He did also mention that it was only one day earlier than they were all scheduled to be let off. I REALLY hope it doesn't mean they are thinking of keeping them on longer....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, perditax said:

The article was posted today/Tuesday local time, I believe the implication is that some people were coming off that day.

(Grammar is weird because it's now after midnight there.)

no implication at all...it was stated Tuesday Feb. 18th

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Has there been any word from the Captain of Diamond Princess?

On most cruises, the Captain is introduced as the "Master of the Vessel"...does he have any say on what is being done on "his" ship?

"His" ship is under the control of the Japanese Health Minitry, as it would be in any other country.

He speaks daily to the persons onboard, with news updates, including the lastest "casualty" list.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

no implication at all...it was stated Tuesday Feb. 18th

Not in the article that I was referring to.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/11/national/science-health/japan-elderly-leave-quarantined-diamond-princess-cruise-ship/

It just said "possibly on Tuesday". 

I understand that there have been other sources of info after I made that post. 

6 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Perhaps reassuring words about the 11 cases so far in the United States:

"In general all the (13) patients in the US have been pretty well and haven’t required tons of excessive care. Right now, they’re all improving," says Dr Nancy Messonnier of the CDC.

There was that one couple in California who were 'suddenly much more ill' over a week ago, but I never heard anything about them again. 

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/481377-california-husband-and-wife-infected-with

It's hard to find info about the U.S. patients so far, not like when we had ebola patients a few years ago. Still, I suppose it's better to protect their identities for now.

17 minutes ago, capriccio said:

And who would be paying for this? My guess is that most Americans on the cruise ship wouldn't want or have the funds to pay for it. Most travel insurances wouldn't pay for it. It certainly isn't fair for taxpayers to bear this cost. That doesn't leave many options.

Princess Cruise Lines.  

If the US government offered to fly the Americans back to the USA if PCL footed the bill for the charter flight and PCL declined the offer the PR fallout would be much more expensive than a few flights.  So cost isn’t the issue here.  The issue is Japan doesn’t want these people infecting Tokyo airport.

• Like 1