Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

23 minutes ago, npcl said:

Considering that they are in Japan that they would serve Japanese food.  I also expect, though the letter does not mention it, that entertainment on TV will be much more limited then on the ship.  Probably mostly Japanese channels and maybe CNN international.  I also would not expect the rooms to be any larger than the ship rooms.  Unless you are in a high end hotel the rooms tend to be pretty small by western standards.  If I was on the ship I would ask if they have pictures of the rooms and other information before deciding to get off.

it will be basic accommodations with hopefully outdoor access...compared to how long they have been here probably not a big deal. They are not selected a room for a luxury vacation....frankly either option at this point is a risk.

3 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I am not quite sure how you can be certain of the "demographic" of the passengers when the ship is based in Japan, catering to a Japanese clientele and equipped with special facilities for such clientele.

I read somewhere here on these boards that about half of the passengers were from Japan.  

Is the general understanding is still along the following reasoning:

"One pax from previous cruise who tested positive after getting off is the source of all these infections."

is it possible that virus was on board already?

or separate question:

Since quarrantine on ship is far from perfect (meals prepared and delivered by crew who say is on the 9th day of silent incubation), someone cud have contracted on 6th day of quarantine. Is it safe to let them out of quarrantine when the original 14 days are up just because this person who will be on his 8th day of silent incubation is not showing symptoms?

How many days of incubation does it take for test to be positive? Since, worldwide, testing seem to be focussed mainly on those with symptoms, doube there is datapoints with any certainity to answer that question.

In theory, 14 days quarrantine should start from the day they get off the ship. Quarrantine on the ship is not fool proof because that quarrantine is not real quarrantiine as pointed out by someone.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brisalta said:

So you admit your statement was incorrect. Thank you.

It turns out my statement was accurate.  This is information posted by Princess on its website on February 4:

February 4, 2020 at 6:00 PM PT

Confirmed Cases of Coronavirus on Diamond Princess

Princess Cruises can confirm that the first phase of health screening of all guests and crew onboard Diamond Princess, by the Japanese Ministry of Health, has been completed. We were notified that amongst the samples that have completed testing, 10 people have tested positive for Coronavirus. This includes two Australian guests, three Japanese guests, three guests from Hong Kong, and one guest from the U.S. in addition to one Filipino crewmember.

These 10 persons, who have been notified, will be taken ashore by Japanese Coast Guard watercraft and transported to local hospitals for care by shoreside Japanese medical professionals. It has been confirmed that the ship will remain under quarantine in Yokohama. The length of the quarantine will be at least 14 days as required by the Ministry of Health.

The ship plans to go out to sea to perform normal marine operations including, but not limited to, the production of fresh water and ballast operations before proceeding alongside in Yokohama where food, provisions, and other supplies will be brought onboard.

Guests will continue to be provided complimentary internet and telephone to use in order to stay in contact with their family and loved ones, and the ship’s crew is working to keep all guests comfortable.

Princess Cruises will continue to fully cooperate with and follow the instructions of global medical authorities and the Japanese government.

We will also be cancelling the next two Diamond Princess cruises departing Yokohama (Feb 4 and Feb 12) and will begin notifying guests today.

Princess Cruises confirms there are 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew currently onboard covering a range of nationalities. Approximately half the guests onboard are from Japan.

Just now, kathy49 said:

Did they say hotel...I got the impression it was some government housing.

That was my understanding also.  I envision it being sort of like an evacuation center or military housing.  With Japanese food, which I believe is simply referred to as food in Japan.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

It turns out my statement was accurate.  This is information posted by Princess on its website on February 4:

Princess Cruises can confirm that the first phase of health screening of all guests and crew onboard Diamond Princess, by the Japanese Ministry of Health, has been completed. We were notified that amongst the samples that have completed testing, 10 people have tested positive for Coronavirus. This includes two Australian guests, three Japanese guests, three guests from Hong Kong, and one guest from the U.S. in addition to one Filipino crewmember.

These 10 persons, who have been notified, will be taken ashore by Japanese Coast Guard watercraft and transported to local hospitals for care by shoreside Japanese medical professionals. It has been confirmed that the ship will remain under quarantine in Yokohama. The length of the quarantine will be at least 14 days as required by the Ministry of Health.

The ship plans to go out to sea to perform normal marine operations including, but not limited to, the production of fresh water and ballast operations before proceeding alongside in Yokohama where food, provisions, and other supplies will be brought onboard.

Guests will continue to be provided complimentary internet and telephone to use in order to stay in contact with their family and loved ones, and the ship’s crew is working to keep all guests comfortable.

Princess Cruises will continue to fully cooperate with and follow the instructions of global medical authorities and the Japanese government.

We will also be cancelling the next two Diamond Princess cruises departing Yokohama (Feb 4 and Feb 12) and will begin notifying guests today.

Princess Cruises confirms there are 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew currently onboard covering a range of nationalities. Approximately half the guests onboard are from Japan.

so then another at least 10 that would be 228?

7 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

No this does not show the statement was correct. It all it indicates is that approximately half the guests onboard are from Japan with no indication of where the other half are from. It could be the bulk of the rest of the passengers are from China, Singapore etc. The OP is just making assumptions about the passengers being "white".

Edited by brisalta
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I am not quite sure how you can be certain of the "demographic" of the passengers when the ship is based in Japan, catering to a Japanese clientele and equipped with special facilities for such clientele.

Just look at various social media, print and tv reports. 

You will not see much entitlement demands/complaints from Japaneese/Korean/Indonesian/Malaysian/Philipinno pax.

Japaneese government might have preferred to take their citizens off the ship and put them on PROPER isolation on the land (None of them would have whined about bento box or size of the room obviously) with 20/20 hindsight.

200+ pax who are now off the ship are neither infecting others on the ship or getting infected themselves.

Can not say the same about those still on the ship - even if they are currently testing negative or showing no symptoms.

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

The way it's phrased, the up-front mention that food to suit preference will not be available, seems almost meant to be off-putting to Westerners.

Personally, I've seen Western food available even in convenience stores in Japan. 

I don't see it that way.  If this ship was stuck in Los Angeles they wouldn't be catering to foreign diets.  They would be providing what is easily sourced locally. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

You are right which begs the question you posed. Will their belongings contain traces of the virus?

That will be a similar situation to those diagnosed that have been in quarantine at home waiiung on results before trafering to hospital.  What happens to their homes?

1 hour ago, hal2008 said:

Since quarantine on ship is far from perfect (meals prepared and delivered by crew who say is on the 9th day of silent incubation), someone could have contracted on 6th day of quarantine. Is it safe to let them out of quarantine when the original 14 days are up just because this person who will be on his 8th day of silent incubation is not showing symptoms?

They are not being let out of quarantine. They would be quarantined in a new location on land. They would be restricted to whatever room they are assigned. Probably have a window that might be able to be opened for fresh air.

Anyone delivering the box meals to the rooms would have the same risk of exposure as someone who delivers meals on the ship.

No info yet on how often new sheets or towels would be supplied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hal2008 said:

Since quarrantine on ship is far from perfect (meals prepared and delivered by crew who say is on the 9th day of silent incubation), someone cud have contracted on 6th day of quarantine. Is it safe to let them out of quarrantine when the original 14 days are up just because this person who will be on his 8th day of silent incubation is not showing symptoms?

How many days of incubation does it take for test to be positive?

Realy confused by this imperfect quarrantine on the ship

If all pax are going to be let go off the ship after 14 days, has Japan really achieved anything?

wasnt Japan better off in at least taking off 1000 Japaneese pax who were not showing any symptoms and giving them proper quarrantine on the land? 

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hal2008 said:

Do virus live long in an empty house?

Different viruses live for varying lengths of time

taken from NHS web-Many different types of viruses can cause colds. The viruses can sometimes survive on indoor surfaces for more than 7 days. In general, viruses survive for longer on non-porous (water resistant) surfaces, such as stainless steel and plastics, than porous surfaces, such as fabrics and tissues.

10 minutes ago, caribill said:

They are not being let out of quarantine. They would be quarantined in a new location on land. They would be restricted to whatever room they are assigned. Probably have a window that might be able to be opened for fresh air.

Anyone delivering the box meals to the rooms would have the same risk of exposure as someone who delivers meals on the ship.

No info yet on how often new sheets or towels would be supplied.

Didnt hear anywhere that after the original 14 days quarrantine is over, there is going to be yet another 14 days of land quarrantine.

Another question to satisfy my curiosity (and, again, apologies for my lack of medical knowledge). Assuming that passengers could have become infected at any time they were in contact with the original passenger (I believe he was on for 5 days?) does that mean that, if they contracted the virus the day he embarked (for example) then any subsequent person they came into contact with from that point would also be at risk? I lose track of at what point this is contagious, so forgive me if this is not the case. If this IS the case, then I am curious if anything is being done to find/inform/report on other areas of risk. Presumably passengers got off at ports, did excursions, took transportation, went to stores, etc during the timeframe between the original passenger embarking and disembarking? Hoping I'm making sense here.....all of this is hard to get my head around as I'm seeing the whole thing as a domino effect, but may well be completely off the mark.

• Like 1

Just now, ceilidh1 said:

What about other passengers that disembarked at the same time as the original passenger? Are they not equally as susceptible as everyone on the ship right now? They aren't in quarantine, I'm assuming?

There is another point of view that indicates that "original person from previous crew" was not the only source of infection on Diamond Princess. 

Anyone from mainland china on previous cruise or this cruise cud be a source too.

11 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Do virus live long in an empty house?

6 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

No.  Best available information about Corona suggests that the virus can’t live very long outside a host.

Without a link to a reliable or scientific source such statements are simply hearsay. What the scientific community knows about this virus is far less than what they don't know.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Realy confused by this imperfect quarrantine on the ship

That's because the passengers aren't under strict isolation... the ship is. Those who are confirmed to have the virus are then removed and properly isolated at a facility. 

I keep thinking about The Wrath of Kahn when Spock says, "The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

Did they say hotel...I got the impression it was some government housing.

hotel, government provided housing.  The point is that it might be smaller than their cruise ship room, without a balcony.  

The main point is they should ask for information on the housing.

• Like 1