Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

11 minutes ago, villauk said:

I agree, I was going to say that the U.K. pax completed more than the initial 14 days quarantine.

Did they complete the Japanese quarantine release process?  If not they may have spent 14 days, but they did not finish quarantine. When were all of their negative test samples taken?

In all of the evacuations the Japanese allowed quarantine to be broken, prior to completion, for each of those countries that extracted passengers.

1 minute ago, npcl said:

In all of the evacuations the Japanese allowed quarantine to be broken, prior to completion, for each of those countries that extracted passengers.

The U.K. didn’t evacuate until after the 14 days, so how was their quarantine broken? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, npcl said:

To complete the quarantine, they had to be tested at the end of the quarantine period.  Had that result be negative and then released by the Japanese from quarantine.  None of those evac went through that process.  The Japanese did not release any who had cabin mates that had developed illness during the quarantine period.  Any in that group should have had to go through another full quarantine period.

The  countries doing evacs at most required a negative test, but not necessarily a recent negative test.  Even those that got the results back on day 15, actually had their tests taken several days earlier. so that time needs to be considered. In the case of the 14 Americans their samples were actually taken 3 days before they got the results on the tarmac.

So the people that were released on day 14 to wonder round japan for a few days until their repatriation flights took place 2 days latter were never released by Japan.

Edited by fragilek
  • Like 1

Just now, villauk said:

The U.K. didn’t evacuate until after the 14 days, so how was their quarantine broken? 

For quarantine to be completed they had to go through the Japanese completion process including a final round of testing after the 14 day period.  One of the reasons the 2000 passengers were released over the span of a few days.  

Any time one does not complete the entire process, including the release testing and process, quarantine is broken.

They spent the days, but were released to their country without going through the final testing and release.

1 minute ago, fragilek said:

So the people that were released on day 14 to wonder round japan for a few days until their repatriation flights took place 2 days latter were never released by Japan.

If they were in fact released and received a document showing that they released by MHW then they did complete the process. 

Unfortunately I cannot find anything that says the UK passengers were released to wander around the city prior to their evac flight home.  

Can you point me the direction of anything that says that?

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

For quarantine to be completed they had to go through the Japanese completion process including a final round of testing after the 14 day period.  One of the reasons the 2000 passengers were released over the span of a few days.  

Any time one does not complete the entire process, including the release testing and process, quarantine is broken.

They spent the days, but were released to their country without going through the final testing and release.

some people being evacuated spent time wondering around japan first awaiting other family to be released so they were allowed on the same reparation flights. So I expect that some must have had Japanese release from quarantine.  Again we will not know the exact figures of how may tested negative  then positive and the timing between these results until every piece of data is properly analyzed. No one can make factual statements otherwise.

33 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

I defer to your expertise and experience.

But re-reading various posts, it is difficult to buy that it took hours to negotiate with Japaneese on technicality and then that argument was lost!!!   Are you trying to say that if one of the pax on bus developed serious heart condition, they wud not have been taken to hospital??? Come on.

This particular state departement has done many botched operations/decisions worldwide. CDC refusing to allow even their name mentioned in the press release in protest tells you something.

And no - there was not "as much separation as possible"  That would have been the case if the hazmat container was used. Unfortunately, These 14 were put behind a loose plastic curtain.

Even Trunp is upset at state officials (albeit, for different selfish reasons)

It may not have been lost.  It may have stopped at we want to leave them here and gotten a no the agreement was for you to take them.

I was just pointing out that in an situation like this, where you have agreements between countries things get very complex. That not being there we do not have all of the information that those having to make decisions might have had, and the limitations that they faced.

According to one press report the CDC removed their name from the news release because they did not want to explain what advice they gave if questions and thus raise controversy.

I do know with the Japanese that once you do have an agreement they expect you to live up to your end.  Thus I can see the situation from both the medical side as well as the State side.  I do not think that the decision made was a whimsical one.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

In the mean time more and more crew members are testing positive every day.

Not surprising in that for many this has been their first round of testing. and they were not isolated like the passengers.

On the good side their demographics would indicate good outcomes for those that are infected.  Unlike the passenger age groups.

33 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

But re-reading various posts, it is difficult to buy that it took hours to negotiate with Japaneese on technicality and then that argument was lost!!!   Are you trying to say that if one of the pax on bus developed serious heart condition, they wud not have been taken to hospital??? Come on.

This particular state departement has done many botched operations/decisions worldwide. CDC refusing to allow even their name mentioned in the press release in protest tells you something.

And no - there was not "as much separation as possible"  That would have been the case if the hazmat container was used. Unfortunately, These 14 were put behind a loose plastic curtain.

I agree completely with you and disagree completely with ncpl.

The agreement by US state officials to take known positive people was a mistake of gigantic proportions. Don't give me that "paperwork was done" crap. It was a stupid mistake that the CDC wanted no part of.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

I saw that "partition" and frankly it was about as effective as the partition between the balconies on the ship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I thought it was you who was claiming that none of the people on repatriation flights had been released. 

I was stating that those that were evacuated from the cruise ship prior to completing the process on the repatriation flights.

This was in the context of those that had been repatriated and later tested positive  Australia, UK and US.

Someone stated that the UK passengers had been released and wondered around town before their flight. To which I stated that I had not seen such.  In response I get the one case of someone going to HK that had been released. To which I responded that she had in fact completed the process.

Still waiting on any information about that any of those that had been repatriated and later tested positive that in fact had fully completed the process.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I saw that "partition" and frankly it was about as effective as the partition between the balconies on the ship.

Were you on the plane?  If so how was it sealed? Was it set up with anything to filter air in that part of the plane and make it slightly lower pressure.  How far were those passengers separated from the others in the plane? Could you feel any air flow around the sheeting?

I would expect it to be considerably better than the dividers between balconies because they kept people less than 6 feet apart and that people could actually reach around them to make contact.

On the other  hand on the busses there was no separation. Many people when entering or leaving a bus use the tops on the seats as balance points.  So you have far closer contact and far more likely to pass it by physical contact.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Couple of quick things going forward:

• Please keep this discussion cruise related
  • Pleasure ensure that you do not copy and paste entire articles from other sites...instead select a key paragraph (usually the first) and LINK TO the article
  • Keep things polite

The community team will be following this discussion closely, and will remove any posts without notice to the author.

Thank you for your cooperation

LauraS

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, npcl said:

Did they complete the Japanese quarantine release process?  If not they may have spent 14 days, but they did not finish quarantine. When were all of their negative test samples taken?

They are now saying the incubation period can be up to 24 days, but the average is about 6.

"In yet another blow to the troubled cruise industry, US travelers are being urged to steer clear of Asia's waters.
On Monday, the State Department advised cruise ship travelers to or within Asia to reconsider their trips."

Full article here with link to US State Dept. advice. 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/state-department-coronavirus-asia-cruise-advisory/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+(RSS%3A+CNN+-+Top+Stories)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, npcl said:

Still waiting on any information about that any of those that had been repatriated and later tested positive that in fact had fully completed the process.

I believe there are at least two cases in Japan where they completed quarantine and were released.

Additionally 1 of 11 Israeli citizens (who disembarked and traveled through Japan on commercial flights home) has been found positive for CV.  That's almost a 10% miss rate-- and I suspect that the numbers would already look similar for general population if Japan bothered testing all of its citizens.  

Nobody knows what % of the Australians and UK residents were tested toward the very end of the process, but so far nothing has been reported to suggest that the ones who were positive had not been tested in a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

I believe there are at least two cases in Japan where they completed quarantine and were released.

Additionally 1 of 11 Israeli citizens (who disembarked and traveled through Japan on commercial flights home) has been found positive for CV.  That's almost a 10% miss rate-- and I suspect that the numbers would already look similar for general population if Japan bothered testing all of its citizens.  

Nobody knows what % of the Australians and UK residents were tested toward the very end of the process, but so far nothing has been reported to suggest that the ones who were positive had not been tested in a while.

My understandings were that they had been tested starting from about Day 11 of the period as the tests can take up to 3 days to return. There are at last count 7 Australians who were negative but now positive. No one with a positive test was allowed to board the evac plane. One family was turned away at the bus. One person who is now positive became ill on the flight. 

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

My understandings were that they had been tested starting from about Day 11 of the period as the tests can take up to 3 days to return. There are at last count 7 Australians who were negative but now positive. No one with a positive test was allowed to board the evac plane. One family was turned away at the bus. One person who is now positive became ill on the flight. 

But that would not have been any different for UK/Aus than regular disembarking guests right? Otherwise how were the general Japan disembark guests making it off before Australians and Brits?

7 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

But that would not have been any different for UK/Aus than regular disembarking guests right? Otherwise how were the general Japan disembark guests making it off before Australians and Brits?

Correct. Of the 180 Aussies evacuated from Diamond, 7 at last count have tested positive in Australia after a negative test in Japan. Extending that, ~ 4% of the passengers walking the streets of Japan may test positive. Only takes one. Person. 

For people that have been wondering about the crew... looks like the Philippines is back to saying tomorrow will be the day for them to run their flight. They don’t say the number of people but it seems to be several hundred people (“over 400 expressed interest”) and almost all (if not all) of that will be crew.

They’ll still have a quarantine at “home” but hopefully it will be more comfortable. (I say “home” because I assume it will be similar to other countries so not their own homes).

And of the 59 positive cases from the Filipino guest crew (I think they only had 8 guest), 2 have already recovered and been released from the hospital and 5 more are expected to be released soon. (47 were just in the recent batch of positives). So hopefully the crew cases will be mild. https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/2/24/Diamond-Princess-number-of-Filipinos-positive-for-coronavirus-rises.html

Obviously that is not all the crew, but hopefully other countries will follow soon or at least with the number of crew quarantining onboard reduced the remainder will have a better experience.

Edited by LizNeedsAVacation
  • Like 6