Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

A fourth passenger from the ill-fated Diamond Princess died while quarantined in Japan having contracted Coronavirus aboard the ship. The four who have died were all in their 80s. Approx 700 have now been identified as having the virus. https://securelytravel.com/travel/diamond-princess-4-dead-due-to-covid-19/

30 minutes ago, Farts said:

Cruise ship MSC Meraviglia turned away from two Caribbean ports amid coronavirus concerns

Even though the infected person just had the flu.  Could be a sign of bad things to come for cruisers and cruise lines.  If anyone has a fever on board it's pretty easy for port authorities to just say "sorry!" rather than do any due diligence about the situation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BrennerM said:

Even though the infected person just had the flu.  Could be a sign of bad things to come for cruisers and cruise lines.  If anyone has a fever on board it's pretty easy for port authorities to just say "sorry!" rather than do any due diligence about the situation.

Right. 

I mean, I understand where they are coming from with the abundance of caution. 

with being said, just because you test positive for the flu doesn't mean that the person does not have covid19 superimposed onto it. you could be really unlucky. 

Google: Hickam's Dictum

2 minutes ago, BrennerM said:

So true especially if you're traveling just to experience a particular port.  

3 hours ago, kathy49 said:

I keep reading about so many of those Japanese passengers that were just released into their communities in Japan and are not getting sick and testing positive. One has to wonder what were Japanese authorities thinking? That this would all go away and Japan could claim few cases???  Given they were driving the decisions on the failed Diamond Quarantine with one of the big goals to protect their citizens.....this action flies in the face of reason.  I would have expected much better from Japan...and these reported cases are no doubt only a fraction of how many area really out there.

There is a report of ONE person in Japan turning positive after disembarkation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/23/coronavirus-woman-on-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-tested-positive-after-disembarking

I would say "so many of those..." is not correct.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Psoque said:

There is a report of ONE person in Japan turning positive after disembarkation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/23/coronavirus-woman-on-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-tested-positive-after-disembarking

I would say "so many of those..." is not correct.

Correct that only one has so far tested +ve however today the authorities have stated that 45 are now displaying symptoms and are being retested.

• Like 1

Except that it wasn't a quarantine, and was just about the opposite of a quarantine.   I really don't think that governments or people really understood how dangerous this virus is (and I still think that many are underestimating it.)   The goal of a quarantine is to keep the sick away from the healthy, and what happened here is that they selected sick people from the ship and put them into hospitals where other people could get infected.   To make matters far worse, they put dozens of officials onboard and apparently more than one of them are now infected.   The US is in the middle of making the same mistake, in my opinion, we now have a fair amount of infected people brought into the country that we are not quite ready to deal with apparently.   I'm not sure what we should  have done that would be compassionate but also not put millions of people in danger.

Unfortunately 36 people from the cruise ship who are currently in Japan are now seriously ill.

• Like 2

As one of the hosts on the Princess boards,  I just wanted to drop this post in again on the thread for anyone who hasn't seen it.  There are so many pages and I know things get lost sometimes. 

Trying to keep the thread cruise related as well as possibly relating to Princess, Diamond Princess and the passengers and crew.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple of quick things going forward:

• Please keep this discussion cruise related
  • Pleasure ensure that you do not copy and paste entire articles from other sites...instead select a key paragraph (usually the first) and LINK TO the article
  • Keep things polite

The community team will be following this discussion closely, and will remove any posts without notice to the author.

Thank you for your cooperation

LauraS

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Except that it wasn't a quarantine, and was just about the opposite of a quarantine.   I really don't think that governments or people really understood how dangerous this virus is (and I still think that many are underestimating it.)   The goal of a quarantine is to keep the sick away from the healthy, and what happened here is that they selected sick people from the ship and put them into hospitals where other people could get infected.   To make matters far worse, they put dozens of officials onboard and apparently more than one of them are now infected.   The US is in the middle of making the same mistake, in my opinion, we now have a fair amount of infected people brought into the country that we are not quite ready to deal with apparently.   I'm not sure what we should  have done that would be compassionate but also not put millions of people in danger.

Unfortunately 36 people from the cruise ship who are currently in Japan are now seriously ill.

The goal of the quarantine is to identify those EXPOSED to the virus and keep them from going anywhere.  The goal of ISOLATION is to keep the sick away from the  healthy.

• Like 3

400+ crew members from Phillipines and 120+ from India have been evacuated by respective goverment.

That is great news for the crew.

We wil know more about what actually happened once 2 months vacation payments are completed.

There about 20+ crew members from Ukraine whose govt is willing to bring them back but crew have declined.

On the other hand there are 40+ crew members from Indonesia pleading with their government for a rescuue but so far Indonesian government has declined.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

It's being reported that eight Japanese civil servants (unspecified if they are medical workers or not) who boarded Diamond princess are now infected with COVID19.

Being reported by whom?  It would be helpful if people would identify their sources with so much misinformation out there about the subject.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kansas Gal said:

Being reported by whom?  It would be helpful if people would identify their sources with so much misinformation out there about the subject.

Here is an article that mentioned that "eight public servants who worked on the ship to support the quarantine have tested positive for COVID-19, and more may follow."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/coronavirus-infections-keep-mounting-after-cruise-ship-fiasco-japan

• Like 2

Sooner or later DP is going to be moved.  If many of the crew are getting off and sent home, are they being replaced?  Sure would be nice of Princess to put our REAL information about DP and crew.  I wonder if Princess or any cruise line has any plan for how to operate a ship with a skeleton crew and "ferry" the ship to wherever it will be cleaned and hopefully returned to service.  I am sure the Japan is looking forward to having DP leave but the visit will be long remembered!

22 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Sooner or later DP is going to be moved.  If many of the crew are getting off and sent home, are they being replaced?  Sure would be nice of Princess to put our REAL information about DP and crew.  I wonder if Princess or any cruise line has any plan for how to operate a ship with a skeleton crew and "ferry" the ship to wherever it will be cleaned and hopefully returned to service.  I am sure the Japan is looking forward to having DP leave but the visit will be long remembered!

Yes as noted in other posts Princess already has a crew on standby to move the ship when released.

• Like 1

David Abel blogging live to YouTube:

Sally now negative (big yeah), he is still positive but the Pneumonia is getting better (yeah, him!).  No meds, just monitoring them closely.  He says they can't treat since viral.  He is using exercise and diet to recover his oxygen levels and it appears to be working.  A bit of good news from two of Diamond's best cheerleaders.  Gob bless em!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1