Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

16 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That might not be a good port to disembark because Thailand continued to fly to and from China after other countries.  I haven't checked whether they are still flying to and from China.  However, I did see Thailand listed with China, etc. as a country which people couldn't travel via.  

Apparanetly Thailand has changed their mind:

Thailand denies Westerdam cruise ship entry

• Like 1

Just now, Outerdog said:

Not exactly.

One of the main reason that the guests are quarantined in their cabins most of the day, is that the AC in cabins is not shared or recirculated.  There are two AC systems on the ship.  One takes outside air, cools it, and supplies it to the cabins, in a one way flow.  This fresh air supplied to the cabins is almost balanced by the bathroom exhaust which takes the air to the outside, in a one way flow.  The fresh air supply is slightly greater than the exhaust to keep the cabin at a slight positive pressure relative to the outside, and to the passageway outside the cabin.  The AC controlled by the cabin thermostat is air within the cabin, that is recirculated within the cabin, passing over the individual cabin's cooler.

Notice the almost balanced and slight positive pressure. So since the hallway door is not a tight seal and there is a slight positive pressure some flow certainly exists to the hallway.  Thinks of it this was as a series of 3 pressure gradients

1. Room Highest

2. Hallway lower than room higher than outside

3. Outside.

Especially on decks 8 to 12 on those ships with Lido on 14. Where there are limited outside doors.

3 minutes ago, npcl said:

The bathroom door is not a tight seal.  If it stopped enough air from getting out the vent the bathroom would go negative pressure and would be more difficult to open.

Neither does the door to the hallway have a tight seal. Always enough space for the steward to insert Patters, etc into the cabin.

9 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Not exactly.

One of the main reason that the guests are quarantined in their cabins most of the day, is that the AC in cabins is not shared or recirculated.  There are two AC systems on the ship.  One takes outside air, cools it, and supplies it to the cabins, in a one way flow.  This fresh air supplied to the cabins is almost balanced by the bathroom exhaust which takes the air to the outside, in a one way flow.  The fresh air supply is slightly greater than the exhaust to keep the cabin at a slight positive pressure relative to the outside, and to the passageway outside the cabin.  The AC controlled by the cabin thermostat is air within the cabin, that is recirculated within the cabin, passing over the individual cabin's cooler.

@chengkp75 Are stateroom doors similar to fire doors in office where there is a tight seal but some air escapes into the hallway at the floor or is there a 100% seal that drops to the floor when the door is closed? 

Does the A/C shut off when the door is opened to walk out if someone is still in the room and lights are on?  In typical construction, even with smoke seals on doors and positive pressure you get some leak at the carpet and definite air movement when the door is opened. Do ships behave differently?

Thanks

Alan

Edited by AlanF65

2 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

She has a Facebook page but today so far. Latest is from 20 hours ago. She does have good view of the dock in contrast to David Abel who is on the other side.

https://www.facebook.com/gcourter

Based upon data since we are now about midway during the quarantine, recent reports I have read have placed median incubation to be between 5 and 6.5 days so that means that we should have passed peak cases with the passengers and while one can expect more cases the numbers should start falling off.  Might continue to see higher case numbers from crew who is far less isolated. Would be handy if there was a breakdown of crew vs passengers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

Based upon data since we are now about midway during the quarantine, recent reports I have read have placed median incubation to be between 5 and 6.5 days so that means that we should have passed peak cases with the passengers and while one can expect more cases the numbers should start falling off.  Might continue to see higher case numbers from crew who is far less isolated. Would be handy if there was a breakdown of crew vs passengers.

i would be interested in knowing inside cabins vs outside cabins # of cases as well as  are there any more cases in those that have done deck walking.  I would assume they are connecting things up also with dining partners for the first 14 nights...whole tables getting virus?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

i would be interested in knowing inside cabins vs outside cabins # of cases as well as  are there any more cases in those that have done deck walking.  I would assume they are connecting things up also with dining partners for the first 14 nights...whole tables getting virus?

Post data analysis for this would certainly be interesting.  I know enough now for me to know not to want to be on a cruise ship with an individual with Corona.  Spread bad news in a normal cruise ship environment. Have canceled 3 cruises that were scheduled for March and April.  Too complex of a trip, too long at sea, to close to current area of concern.

I do hope that they are collecting the data this would provide the test case for future potential cruise ship quarantines, and improving procedures.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, npcl said:

Post data analysis for this would certainly be interesting.  I know enough now for me to know not to want to be on a cruise ship with an individual with Corona.  Spread bad news in a normal cruise ship environment. Have canceled 3 cruises that were scheduled for March and April.  Too complex of a trip, too long at sea, to close to current area of concern.

I do hope that they are collecting the data this would provide the test case for future potential cruise ship quarantines, and improving procedures.

Frankly from the limited video I have seen of the "deck walk" I would give those a pass and walk in place in the cabin.

56 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Frankly from the limited video I have seen of the "deck walk" I would give those a pass and walk in place in the cabin.

If I was in a nice balcony room I would probably opt for this as well. A crowded small windowless room with no natural light or air? I would probably choose the other option.

I feel so bad for everyone on this ship and hope this nightmare comes to an end soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

All passengers should have been repatriated on a nationality by nationality basis and put in quarantine in their home country and there would not now be 135 infected people on that ship. The infection levels will only rise on the diamond.

Agreed. If the passengers had been repatriated on their nationality basis and put in quarantine in their home country, there would not have been 135 infected people on the ship, 😁there would have been more than 135 infected people scattered through those countries they were repatriated to. In addition, people involved in the repatriation would have been directly at risk unless they all wore full hazmat gear.

It is likely the infection levels will rise on the Diamond, but not because of new infections. People who became infected before the isolation quarantine was put in place on 3rd February, are now testing positive. There is no indication that these are new infections.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

There will be 500 cases on the diamond before this over I promise you. 480 or so of which could have been prevented.

There could well be 500 cases on the Diamond, but I cannot see how '480 or so' could have been prevented, when at least the first 61 were probably infected by the original carrier. This is going by the period of incubation. Other infections would most likely have been secondary infections.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is likely the infection levels will rise on the Diamond, but not because of new infections. People who became infected before the isolation quarantine was put in place on 3rd February, are now testing positive. There is no indication that these are new infections.

You have no way of knowing one way or another, what you posted is simply your own assumption.

2 hours ago, #55worktoplay said:

Is this where they are taking the people removed from the ship?

Those poor people on the ship must be getting very anxious and yet they are not Halfway  through and maybe not even 1/4 through if they increase from 14 days.

They must now all feel like sitting ducks. I think I would still rather be on the ship with loved ones vs being separated and one taken off to what kind of conditions alone. It is all very hard to understand with each new diagnosis does that increase the clock, if so it could in fact be months. Can a person get it once recover and get it again, do they even know the answer. 

My Prayers and thoughts are with every person on that ship.   

No. The people from the shop are not taken to that facility - it is in China. 

My post that you quoted was in answer to one that said the Chinese could build hospitals quickly, so why couldn't the Japanese build enough hospitals for the people on the Diamond Princess. My post was :

Have you seen the video taken in one of the Chinese pop-up hospitals? 20 cots in a room with only about two feet between the cots. Portable toilets are outside the building 200 metres away. A person there reported that there is no hot water and no treatment offered. I would rather stay on the Diamond Princess with my own space, my own bathroom and some activities such as TV/movies etc available.

Those taken from the ship would be in a well-equipped Japanese hospital and I am sure they are well cared for by qualified professionals. From what I have seen, the Japanese government has been totally supportive and have provided an incredible amount of support and professional help.

• Like 2

Our friends just called via FB messenger. They’re healthy but he freely admitted today is a very tough day. Internet has been mostly down, they’ve built tunnels from tents at the dock to hide any activity and they’re only opening the starboard promenade and sports deck, not the portside, and passengers are getting restless because they think it’s to hide them from shoreside media. 

He had to go because they were bringing lunch and he had to suit up to answer the door (crew are in hazmat suits). 

A tough situation for everyone. 

Edited by sppunk
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

Mr Abel said in one of his earlier videos that one of his table mates had tested positive to the virus and left the ship for hospital.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mopedmom1 said:

If I was in a nice balcony room I would probably opt for this as well. A crowded small windowless room with no natural light or air? I would probably choose the other option.

I feel so bad for everyone on this ship and hope this nightmare comes to an end soon.

Originally they said the option to walk on deck was for people without balconies.

12 minutes ago, sppunk said:

Our friends just called via FB messenger. They’re healthy but he freely admitted today is a very tough day. Internet has been mostly down, they’ve built tunnels from tents at the dock to hide any activity and they’re only opening the starboard promenade and sports deck, not the portside, and passengers are getting restless because they think it’s to hide them from shoreside media. 

He had to go because they were bringing lunch and he had to suit up to answer the door (crew are in hazmat suits). 

A tough situation for everyone. 

My first gut reaction was that the ship must be locking down internet to prevent passengers from reporting to the media, but on the other hand, 3000 extremely bored people could be killing the connection with Netflix and such. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Mr Abel said in one of his earlier videos that one of his table mates had tested positive to the virus and left the ship for hospital.

His tablemate has been 100% asymptomatic and is now being tested again and with two negative tests will be released. He will then have to go to a hotel to wait for his wife who is still on the ship and seems fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1