Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

34 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

This is my confusion, too. My head just can't get around it at all. Given that not everyone has been tested, no one knows how many others on the ship are positive and possibly spreading it....so it could just go on and on and on and on

you said it "my head just can't get around it at all"!!!!!

As I scroll through all of these posts I just stop and think how terribly helpless these  people must feel...all of whom spent lots of money in the expectation of an exciting 14 day cruise only to end up as a prisoner on a ship.....with the only immediate hope of escape having symptoms or compromised enough that they test you and you are positive. Then  you get to go to another prison until they release you...all the while hoping you don't get really sick and have complications. And then I think of the families of all these people...lots of speculation about Feb. 19th and what will really happen then?  

19 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

all of whom spent lots of money

All passengers have received (or will receive) refunds on the cruise fare, Princess Air, transfers, and onboard folios.

20 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

prison

Unnecessarily dramatic.

7 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

All passengers have received (or will receive) refunds on the cruise fare, Princess Air, transfers, and onboard folios.

Unnecessarily dramatic.

Actually Princess has stated that they will reimburse air fare and hotel fees no matter how it was book.

Plus 100% future cruise credit.

In addition the crew is going to get 2 months paid leave and some other perks once the quarantine is over.

Typically in shipping leave is not paid.

8 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Unnecessarily dramatic.

thanks for the helpful comments. Frankly if I don't like the way something is worded I just move along. Yes I am sure most on there feel they are in a "prison" of sorts.  And I don't think they are thinking about the money at all nor do I think they are all that excited about a future cruise.....those were my thoughts about how we all take trips and never ever expect something like this.

38 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

As I scroll through all of these posts I just stop and think how terribly helpless these  people must feel...all of whom spent lots of money in the expectation of an exciting 14 day cruise only to end up as a prisoner on a ship.....with the only immediate hope of escape having symptoms or compromised enough that they test you and you are positive. Then  you get to go to another prison until they release you...all the while hoping you don't get really sick and have complications. And then I think of the families of all these people...lots of speculation about Feb. 19th and what will really happen then?  

6 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

thanks for the helpful comments. Frankly if I don't like the way something is worded I just move along. Yes I am sure most on there feel they are in a "prison" of sorts.  And I don't think they are thinking about the money at all nor do I think they are all that excited about a future cruise.....those were my thoughts about how we all take trips and never ever expect something like this.

Unfortunately life happens.

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I think if I tested negative and had a balcony room I would stay on the ship. You have access to the outside and the food being described for the on land quarantine area doesnt sound great. If you tested negative today after being on the ship for this length of time it would lead me to conclude that the quarantine on ship is working. But this is just my opinion.

In case anybody is trying to make this decision for real, I would get off of the ship if I had a choice.   I know how shipboard systems work and a ship is not designed to house large numbers of people in a static location for weeks.   Systems are designed for the applications that the engineers imagined them being used for, and this situation is not one of them.    Without getting into details, it is much better to be connected to municipal water and sewage systems, and it is much easier to get supplies when they don't have to be transferred at a dock.   

The internet will work better, too.

Plus, we do not know which crewmembers have been infected and removed from the ship but the onboard systems are quite complex and only a few people know how to run them, and even fewer know how to fix them.   

Edited by NorthwestCruiser

David was on live. If they test negative and choose to go to Japanese housing for rest of quarantine there will be no internet, no phone service, staff will speak Japanese. These were the things along with the food that made them decide to stay on-board. They do not want to be separated. They should be the next group tested. 80plus have been tested. 

30 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

In case anybody is trying to make this decision for real, I would get off of the ship if I had a choice.   I know how shipboard systems work and a ship is not designed to house large numbers of people in a static location for weeks.   Systems are designed for the applications that the engineers imagined them being used for, and this situation is not one of them.    Without getting into details, it is much better to be connected to municipal water and sewage systems, and it is much easier to get supplies when they don't have to be transferred at a dock.   

The internet will work better, too.

Plus, we do not know which crewmembers have been infected and removed from the ship but the onboard systems are quite complex and only a few people know how to run them, and even fewer know how to fix them.   

David said you get off...no internet...no phone...only Japanese food...medical not on site...probably not for everyone

39 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

I know how shipboard systems work...Without getting into details...

Can you elaborate on your experience? I mean, this thread is over 1,500 posts. Details are what we are about.

Exactly why isn't the ship designed to "house large numbers of people in a static location for weeks"? What do you mean? What system are vulnerable to this use?  I understand that stateroom cleaning and related activities aren't running as normal, but beyond that, what do you mean?

7 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

Of the those infected onboard the Diamond Princess, at least 20 are crew members. These include restaurant and bar staff, those responsible for cleaning guests’ rooms, and some were sharing rooms with other crew members. Because quarantine inspectors and crew are in constant contact with passengers, there’s a possibility this frequent contact has become one of the infection routes.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/13/national/science-health/concern-medical-staff-japan-covid-19/#.XkV-RhNKjPA

Thanks for that link.

6 hours ago, kathy49 said:

no crew should be cleaning any passenger rooms at all...leave the cleaning projects at the door.

After the quarantine was put in place, cabins have not been cleaned. If the passengers want fresh linen, it is supplied.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

After the quarantine was put in place, cabins have not been cleaned. If the passengers want fresh linen, it is supplied.

That is what a passenger on board who is on a cruise with us later this year posted on our thread. Their room steward was very scared and was staying in his room also.

5 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Is the general understanding is still along the following reasoning:

"One pax from previous cruise who tested positive after getting off is the source of all these infections."

is it possible that virus was on board already?

How could it be possible that the virus was on board already? At the time the man described as 'passenger 0' embarked in Hong Kong it is now known that he had the virus. It is speculated that he contracted it in mainland China a week before he flew to Tokyo to start his cruise. At that time, the virus was not among the HK population. Did any of the passengers and crew go to mainland China on the one day that the ship was in HK? Unlikely in the time available.

4 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Realy confused by this imperfect quarrantine on the ship

If all pax are going to be let go off the ship after 14 days, has Japan really achieved anything?

wasnt Japan better off in at least taking off 1000 Japaneese pax who were not showing any symptoms and giving them proper quarrantine on the land? 

Imagine the uproar if the Japanese government had taken just their own citizens off the ship and left everyone else.

4 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Didnt hear anywhere that after the original 14 days quarrantine is over, there is going to be yet another 14 days of land quarrantine.

No. The opposite has been announced. For example, Mr David Abel has said that after he and his wife has finished their 14 day quarantine, provided they don't test positive, they will not have to go into further quarantine.

4 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

What about other passengers that disembarked at the same time as the original passenger? Are they not equally as susceptible as everyone on the ship right now? They aren't in quarantine, I'm assuming?

I agree with your comment that other passengers who disembarked with 'passenger 0' could easily be infected and this could be the source of some infections in Hong Kong. I also wonder about people who were on the aircraft with him on January 17th when he flew from HK to Tokyo.

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I think if I tested negative and had a balcony room I would stay on the ship. You have access to the outside and the food being described for the on land quarantine area doesnt sound great. If you tested negative today after being on the ship for this length of time it would lead me to conclude that the quarantine on ship is working. But this is just my opinion.

I would also stay on board if I was in a balcony cabin or suite. However, the Japanese government is offering land-based quarantine to people in inside cabins and those with other health issues that make them more vulnerable.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I would also stay on board if I was in a balcony cabin or suite. However, the Japanese government is offering land-based quarantine to people in inside cabins and those with other health issues that make them more vulnerable.

I'd stay on the ship even if I had an inside cabin. Princess is skilled at providing for passengers of all nationalities. The land-based quarantine would be difficult for non-Japanese passengers I think, and with no internet or phone it would be hard to communicate any issues.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There seems to be no reports of new infections today. Fantastic! Of course, I know that doesn't mean they have identified everyone on board with the virus, but maybe things are heading in the right direction.

The daily reports have been coming out later in the day.  Based on what has happened the last few days, I would expect an update in the next few hours, probably with additional cases reported.

I know I’d stay onboard if I had a verandah. I’m not sure about that if I was in an inside. Certainly understand about the lack of internet for comms with family while stuck. They did make it sound quite unappealing to be moved into the temporary accommodation. Possibly deliberate as I’m sure most of the Japanese citizens would welcome the move to more familiar space. I do feel sorry for those couples who have had to be separated.