Jump to content

Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"


gvre
 Share

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, V_icki_e said:

Keenly waiting to get some confirmation on this ... has anyone heard more info overnight or can provide a reputable source please?  

It is now on Princess site in a video by Jan Swartz.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Christine Frances said:

If it were me, I would wait out the original 14 day quarantine and then disembark and spend a relaxing week in Japan touring around. My insurance would cover my flight home.   Making lemonade 🙂


Im not convinced that freedom after the 14 or now 14+ days is going to happen. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Christine Frances said:

If it were me, I would wait out the original 14 day quarantine and then disembark and spend a relaxing week in Japan touring around. My insurance would cover my flight home.   Making lemonade 🙂

I doubt that is going to happen.  I suspect choice would be and additional land quarantine in Japan or to go home on a charter flight to serve quarantine there.  The most recent number of 67 being diagnosed this late in the quarantine period either indicates Isolation has failed or a number of passengers have been hiding their symptoms. In either case the charter flights back to the US and other countries for those people to enter quarantine in their home countries, as well as the Japanese moving people to land based quarantine  would seem to indicate that their thinking has changed concerning the ending of the quarantine on Feb 19.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting article about two people who have made the difficult decision to take the US government flight back while their spouses remain in the hospital in Japan.  Hard to imagine having to do anything like this, and hoping I never have to!  https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/2/15/21138900/coronavirus-cruise-ship-quarantine-flight-diamond-princess-japan-utahns-sick

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A senior Australian Health official has just arrived in Japan to determine the next phase for Australians. My best guess is that the Australian Government will repatriate them after testing negative. I’m just not sure if they will then go into isolation in Australia - I’m not sure if we have any further facilities available, although the first batch will be leaving Christmas Island I think soon. Obviously none of us know the background discussions. 
 

I don’t think Japan will simply allow the passengers to walk down the gangway and leave. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Interesting article about two people who have made the difficult decision to take the US government flight back while their spouses remain in the hospital in Japan.  Hard to imagine having to do anything like this, and hoping I never have to!  https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/2/15/21138900/coronavirus-cruise-ship-quarantine-flight-diamond-princess-japan-utahns-sick

Wow - interesting. So, the Haerings are the couple that I posted about a few days ago - he had been sick, fever, cough, rash and they had been in contact with medical staff but not tested. When he was eventually tested, he was positive. I never heard anything past that. The Jorgensens are also a couple I have been "following" as they are the friends of the couple that own KHTS radio (I posted this link a few days ago, too). These are the two couples in adjoining rooms that have their balconies open and get together daily. I just heard earlier that one had tested positive - I would be surprised if the others are not tested prior to being evacuated, given the close contact...

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wow - interesting. So, the Haerings are the couple that I posted about a few days ago - he had been sick, fever, cough, rash and they had been in contact with medical staff but not tested. When he was eventually tested, he was positive. I never heard anything past that. The Jorgensens are also a couple I have been "following" as they are the friends of the couple that own KHTS radio (I posted this link a few days ago, too). These are the two couples in adjoining rooms that have their balconies open and get together daily. I just heard earlier that one had tested positive - I would be surprised if the others are not tested prior to being evacuated, given the close contact...

This is the friend's account:

https://www.hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-news/editorials/santa-clarita-residents-share-emotions-as-they-prepare-to-leave-coronavirus-quarantine-cruise-part-five-312929?fbclid=IwAR0eYyJNJyXhXZkmv_775SueD4bVHJoYIuPd8CfZ33uZ0fKBo1ChXnqf9r8

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wow - interesting. So, the Haerings are the couple that I posted about a few days ago - he had been sick, fever, cough, rash and they had been in contact with medical staff but not tested. When he was eventually tested, he was positive. I never heard anything past that. The Jorgensens are also a couple I have been "following" as they are the friends of the couple that own KHTS radio (I posted this link a few days ago, too). These are the two couples in adjoining rooms that have their balconies open and get together daily. I just heard earlier that one had tested positive - I would be surprised if the others are not tested prior to being evacuated, given the close contact...

 

I have been following the Haering's as well.  Here's the update from the KHTS couple in case you haven't seen that https://www.hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-news/editorials/santa-clarita-residents-share-emotions-as-they-prepare-to-leave-coronavirus-quarantine-cruise-part-five-312929?fbclid=IwAR3a0ADR_RPeFoD7rfKA5k-Yn9M7o9SoSY6xcA_oOINq7c9BRDE77bheNFQ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

LOL - posted at the same time....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think part of the issue here surrounds the miscommunication or lack of communication. I remember people on the ship posting in the early days that they had been reassured by their government and embassies that, after 14 days on the ship, they would be considered free to leave and not have to face any further quarantine or have issues entering their own country. However, these goal posts have shifted now. I can't see that being the case any longer, but some passengers seem to believe that it will still be ok for them to wait it out on the ship and then just return home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Farts said:

I can't imagine the bills racking up in a japanese hospital. my insurance would 100% not cover any of that. 

Unclear if the passengers will pay or if cost absorbed by Japanese government.  Kind of surprised no media article has asked and answered that question

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, npcl said:

Unclear if the passengers will pay or if cost absorbed by Japanese government.  Kind of surprised no media article has asked and answered that question

no idea, since it is not voluntary to my understanding (I could be 10000% wrong tho)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

Unclear if the passengers will pay or if cost absorbed by Japanese government.  Kind of surprised no media article has asked and answered that question

Or maybe Japan will send the bill to Carnival Corporation and leave it up to Jan to decide if she wants to try to collect the costs from customers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

I think the question was about medical costs of those at Japanese hospitals.  Carnival Corp is paying for the flights.

 

Thanks for the clarification.  I misunderstood the post.

 

I believe that Japan will be expecting the folks in the hospital to pay the bills.  Hopefully Princess or insurance will pick up the costs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wow - interesting. So, the Haerings are the couple that I posted about a few days ago - he had been sick, fever, cough, rash and they had been in contact with medical staff but not tested. When he was eventually tested, he was positive. I never heard anything past that. The Jorgensens are also a couple I have been "following" as they are the friends of the couple that own KHTS radio (I posted this link a few days ago, too). These are the two couples in adjoining rooms that have their balconies open and get together daily. I just heard earlier that one had tested positive - I would be surprised if the others are not tested prior to being evacuated, given the close contact...

I was following KHTS as well. Was surprised they were going back and forth between cabins by balconies, without masks on.

Wondering, if they reset their quarantine when one of them was sent to hospital? And since they were in close contact with her, will the 3 of them be able to board the plane to US? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dog said:

I was following KHTS as well. Was surprised they were going back and forth between cabins by balconies, without masks on.

Wondering, if they reset their quarantine when one of them was sent to hospital? And since they were in close contact with her, will the 3 of them be able to board the plane to US? 

Their quarantine would be reset. Am guessing spouse will stay in Japan. Others flown home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com Jan '22
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways - Journey Through Europe
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...