Cruise Critic Community
Gracelyn

Suggestions for cruise in Norway

Hi all,

looking for advice for a summer cruise 2021. Planning early I know but I am crazy like that. 
this is what I’m looking for, had hoped for just a Norway cruise and not a round trip from another country. But one way is ok also. Or a transitioning one with Norway . my grandpas is from Bergen so I’m looking for there. We plan on doing a road trip after the cruise. 
I know that’s vague but not sure where to begin or which cruise line....HELP! 

Viking has several itineraries that start or end in Bergen. We did their Midnight Sun cruise this past Summer, and it was wonderful. We took it from Bergen to London.
We flew to Oslo and spent some time there and then Bergen before the cruise, then flew home from London.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh great! I will look into that but I’m going to expect it’s out of my budget unless they have sales! Lol

They don't typically have sales. But unlike other lines, there won't be nickel-and-diming once onboard. Some who have done like-for-like comparisons have concluded they are pretty close in the end. There are threads in the Viking forum discussing these comparisons.
In our case, the only charges on our account at the end of our cruise was the daily gratuities, and massages for a "spa day" on my wife's birthday. (Access to the spa is free, but treatments are extra). Drinks at bars are quite reasonable (typically $6-8), and the (nearly) all-inclusive drinks package is only $20 pp/pd. Wifi is included. Beer&wine with Lunch and Dinner. No charge for specialty restaurants. Etc.
Check out the Viking forum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Another option might be Hurtigruten - either the coastal voyage or an expedition cruise.

The Coastal Voyage is a 'working ship' with 34 short and longer stops along the coastt from Bergen and Kirkenes - and then back again - you can do either 6 nights Bergen to Kirkenes or the 11 night return - They also has 12 nights expedition cruises to North cape (Honningsvåg) from Bergen. If possible check their prices at hurtigruten.no - tend to be lower prived at the -no page than the .com page.check the Hurtigruten board.

Bergen is a really nice city - also check 'Norway in a Nutshell'  - use it for inspiration and plan the trips yourself.

Oceania has a 12-night Norwegian coastal cruise  on the Marina that departs from Oslo (ending in Southampton) on 25 June 2021. It calls at: Skagen (Denmark), Stavanger, Flåm, Hellesylt/Geiranger, Kristiansund, Bodø, Trondheim, Ålesund, Bergen, and Haugesund.

Edited by kaisatsu

We did HAL Nieuw Statendam last July.  Was fabulous.  Cruised RT Amsterdam where we sailed north to Nor Cap including Bergen, Alesund, Eidjford (an absolutely stunning port) Flam, among other stops..  Over 6 months later and we still talk about it and we consider ourselves  well traveled.  

Wow! These are great options to start my planning. Thank you so much! We like HAL but don’t want a return since we will be spending a week either pre or post cruise. 
alright. Time to investigate!

HAL Nieuw Statendam "Norse Legends" June 2021:

Embark in Amsterdam, then go to

Flam, Bergen, Molde, Geiranger, Stavanger, Kristiansand, Oslo

Disembark in Copenhagen

Edited by dobiemom

For ports - I loved Gerianger and Stavanger. I also loved Honningsvag for North Cape (wish our weather had cooperated better). I wish we had gone to Flam.

With new restrictions, Gerianger and Flam won't be visited by as many ships as in the past. Just something to think about.

I would look into ports you want to see and try to match a ship to it.

Edited by Coral

Thank you. That’s a good suggestion about looking into ports. I will work on that Coral. Do I’ve momthat would be nice but I only can do a one way as we are spending time in Norway