Jump to content

News on the Westerdam


dillpickle48
 Share

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

 

The samples from these individuals were tested in the reputable lab of the Pasteur Institute in Phnom Penh.

 

I wonder whether the 'super spreaders' are like the woman I observed on a Princess ship with noro virus. The ocean was as flat as a mirror, but she touched every surface in the buffet, backs of several chairs, railing etc. The supervisor  had noticed her and followed her with his disinfectant rag and wiped everything she had touched. She never saw him. 

 

Other people sneeze across the table and cough into their hands instead of into a tissue or their elbow if not fast enough for a tissue. I see them all as 'super spreaders'. 

 

Please do not misquote this post.

This was a Princess passenger, not on the Westerdam.

Barbara

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really...if you are prepared to swallow HAL’s abundance of caution nonsense and their claim that they tested everyone on board then no doubt you also believe in the tooth  fairy.  

 

HAL’s comments are misleading at best.  I always thought that HAL was better than this.

 

I guess not. 
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

 

"she started feeling ill after arrival" is propaganda by HAL.

 

Especially if reports of supervisor following her and wiping surfaces that she was touching are true...

 

How did an incident Floridiana reported on in post 1087 become a part of the Westerdam 83 year-old woman's illness?  It was something she'd seen on a Princess ship in the past.  And I quote:

 

I wonder whether the 'super spreaders' are like the woman I observed on a Princess ship with noro virus. The ocean was as flat as a mirror, but she touched every surface in the buffet, backs of several chairs, railing etc. The supervisor  had noticed her and followed her with his disinfectant rag and wiped everything she had touched. She never saw him. 

 

We must be careful when we're reading.  I am trying to find the original press release about the Westerdam when it arrived in Cambodia.  I am almost positive the 20 people HAL said had reported to the Medical Center during the cruise did not have Coronavirus symptoms, but other complaints including diarrhea.  No one reported Coronavirus symptoms.  Yet I hear people here discussing these 20 people as having Coronavirus symptoms.  I'm going to have to go way back to find the press release but it would be worth it to settle the question in my mind.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

 

How did an incident Floridiana reported on in post 1089 become a part of the Westerdam 83 year-old woman's illness?  It was something she'd seen on a Princess ship in the past.  And I quote:

 

I wonder whether the 'super spreaders' are like the woman I observed on a Princess ship with noro virus. The ocean was as flat as a mirror, but she touched every surface in the buffet, backs of several chairs, railing etc. The supervisor  had noticed her and followed her with his disinfectant rag and wiped everything she had touched. She never saw him. 

 

We must be careful when we're reading.  I am trying to find the original press release about the Westerdam when it arrived in Cambodia.  I am almost positive the 20 people HAL said had reported to the Medical Center during the cruise did not have Coronavirus symptoms, but other complaints including diarrhea.  No one reported Coronavirus symptoms.  Yet I hear people here discussing these 20 people as having Coronavirus symptoms.  I'm going to have to go way back to find the press release but it would be worth it to settle the question in my mind.

But even if no one reported any symptoms, and that is up for debate and at this point impossible to determine, wouldn’t “an over abundance of caution” and concern for passenger safety necessitate everyone being given an actual test prior to debarkation in Cambodia? It seems like such an obvious thing to do. Instead, HAL wanted to get those passengers off the ship as fast as humanly possible.

Edited by BarbarianPaul
Misspelling
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, npcl said:

Considering that he had recently been in China, and wanted to travel to Wuhan, but was blocked by the Chinese, it might be more likely that he is passing the virus to the passengers.

 

What an excellent point you make!

 

For all we know the 83 year old passenger might have caught the coved 19 from him instead of on board the ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

The supervisor wiping down the surfaces was on a Princess ship under alert for Noro, not the 83yo positive tester on on the Westerdam. See post 1087 above. This is how rumors start!

 

Those saying how good it was that the Westerdam passengers got to visit the town and the beaches, have me puzzled. How is it good that people with unknown viral load, sharing ship-space with a known positive sick person, got to mingle with a population with no reported Covid cases?

 

Agree on all points.

 

Cant fix previous mis-posts

 

To be clear:

- supervisor following woman case was on Princess, not on HAL.

- And suspicion was noro, not COVID-19.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Please do not misquote this post.

 

 

I don't know what you mean.  20 samples from the Westerdam were sent to the Pasteur Institute in Phnom Penh. They were from the 20 passengers who reported being ill on the Westerdam. All 20 samples were NOT Covid-19.  I was not talking about fever sensors or the Princess.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, npcl said:

Does anyone know the exact timeline from the time the ship arrived in Cambodia, passengers greeted to when the woman arrived in Malaysia?  It was indicated that she started feeling ill when she arrived there.  Just wondering how much time had passed from when the passengers first had the ability to get off the ship, until her symptoms.

 

That’s a good question.  They were bused to the airport and then would have taken a charter flight to Phnom Penh.  From there these passengers were flying to Kuala Lumpur where the passenger tested positive.  It takes about two hours to fly to Kuala Lumpur.  

 

Add to that the time for the charter flight, busing, security and wait time at Phnom Penh which is an unknown.  But, I certainly suspect there were a number of hours involved.

 

At the minimum, I would think it would have had to have been at least 7 hours between the loading of buses, travel, charter flight, etc.  It could possibly have been much longer depending on how long the wait was at Cambodia airport for their connection and depending on how long they waited for their testing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

But even if no one reported any symptoms, and that is up for debate and at this point impossible to determine, wouldn’t “an over abundance of caution” and concern for passenger safety necessitate everyone being given an actual test prior to debarkation in Cambodia? It seems like such an obvious thing to do. Instead, HAL wanted to get those passengers off the ship as fast as humanly possible.

 

I'm struggling with this one.  

If I were a passenger on Westerdam, my one wish would be that HAL would find a way to get me the heck off the ship so that I could get home in a healthy state or, if ill, where I could get proper treatment.  So many stuck on the Diamond became ill because of the quarantine.  So the bums' rush off the ship I can sort of accept.  What I can't accept is that the passengers disembarking weren't given masks and advised to take precautions -- just in case.  Instead the disembarkation seemed to be a big "We don't need masks" PR show.  Which is just totally irresponsible to the world at large.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was this mentioned here:

 

This good news from #Cambodia from an #American #Westerdam passenger. Thank you so much for sharing such great info!
Quote Tweet
 
xASCExMh_normal.jpg
Christina Kerby
 
@ChristinaKerby
· 5h
Uplifting news tonight. Of 406 #COVID19 tests performed so far on #Westerdam passengers in Phnom Penh, all are negative. The president of @HALcruises greeted us personally and assured us they’re continuing to work on getting us home as quickly and safely as possible.
 
Edited by dado123456
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

 

lil too quick for that.  

 

I’m honestly not sure.  And I don’t think anyone can be 100% sure.

 

 

The elderly are more susceptible especially if they have pre-existing conditions like COPD, etc.

 

If everyone else has tested negative as just posted, then it leads one to wonder how she contracted it.  She’s obviously not a super spreader.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, npcl said:

Does anyone know the exact timeline from the time the ship arrived in Cambodia, passengers greeted to when the woman arrived in Malaysia?  It was indicated that she started feeling ill when she arrived there.  Just wondering how much time had passed from when the passengers first had the ability to get off the ship, until her symptoms.

 

I believe she was in the first round, so 24 hours or less.  It's my understanding that flights were being booked between 2/14-2/16 so some people waited on the ship and/or toured the beach, town, restaurants, etc. while they were waiting for transport arrangements. I do not believe that this woman went on tours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hal2008 said:

 

especially when it is reported that a supervisor was concerned enough to follow her wiping surfaces that she was touching....

 

We all shud feel fortunate if no one else from westerdam develops COVID-19 (especially after dispersed in real world)

I believe this incident was on a Princess ship ...not HAL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

I’m honestly not sure.  And I don’t think anyone can be 100% sure.

 

 

The elderly are more susceptible especially if they have pre-existing conditions like COPD, etc.

 

They might be more susceptible to catch a disease, but the incubation period does not change with age.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dado123456 said:

Was this mentioned here:

 

This good news from #Cambodia from an #American #Westerdam passenger. Thank you so much for sharing such great info!
Quote Tweet
 
xASCExMh_normal.jpg
Christina Kerby
 
@ChristinaKerby
· 5h
Uplifting news tonight. Of 406 #COVID19 tests performed so far on #Westerdam passengers in Phnom Penh, all are negative. The president of @HALcruises greeted us personally and assured us they’re continuing to work on getting us home as quickly and safely as possible.
 

 

Excellent news 🙂

 

Thank you for sharing this 🙂 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

 

I believe she was in the first round, so 24 hours or less.  It's my understanding that flights were being booked between 2/14-2/16 so some people waited on the ship and/or toured the beach, town, restaurants, etc. while they were waiting for transport arrangements. I do not believe that this woman went on tours.

 

Looks like in the case of Canada;  Canada Board Services is comparing incoming international flights against the passenger list and meeting passengers at aircraft for a medical assessment and to provide instructions to self quarantine with the local health authority checking up.  

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/westerdam-cruise-canadians-return-home-1.5466131

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

 

 

I don't know what you mean.  20 samples from the Westerdam were sent to the Pasteur Institute in Phnom Penh. They were from the 20 passengers who reported being ill on the Westerdam. All 20 samples were NOT Covid-19.  I was not talking about fever sensors or the Princess.

 

My comment was not to you, but to the two posters who said that the Princess passenger example was from the Westerdam.

We need to avoid mistakes.

Thank you for your accuracy.

Barbara 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, em-sk said:

 

Looks like in the case of Canada;  Canada Board Services is comparing incoming international flights against the passenger list and meeting passengers at aircraft for a medical assessment and to provide instructions to self quarantine with the local health authority checking up.  

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/westerdam-cruise-canadians-return-home-1.5466131

Looks like Canada is being proactive. Just read about a local Henderson NV couple who returned home from the Westerdam via Singapore and LAX and they say they are going shopping at Costco. We have 2 here in Henderson and I would love know which one so I can avoid going there!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Announcement: Sail with Marella Cruises ~ Sponsored by Marella Cruises
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Princess Cruises - Medallion Masters!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...