News on the Westerdam

dillpickle48

Just now, USN59-79 said:

I am not sure what you mean.  While we were on board, it was just like an ordinary cruise for them.  As we left, there was less and less for them to do and in the past week they have had the ship to themselves.  Other than the fact that they weren't earning gratuities, sounds like a sweet deal.

On an ordinary cruise (with the exception of trans-Atlantics or trans-Pacifics), you don't have guests onboard 24/7 for days on end.  That's where I was referring to them as working extra to keep everyone happy and comfortable.  Sure, they may have had the ship to themselves this past week, but it would be great for them to be able to see their families as well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

I didn't realize that it was more difficult to work sea days than port days.  You seem to think that the Filipino workers somehow deserve to see their families more than the other workers, such as the Indonesians.  When is the last time they got to see their families?

3 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I didn't realize that it was more difficult to work sea days than port days.  You seem to think that the Filipino workers somehow deserve to see their families more than the other workers, such as the Indonesians.  When is the last time they got to see their families?

Maybe Indonesia is the next stop for a day or two???

• Like 1

12 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Sea days are indeed busier for crew as everyone is on board.  Add to that the constant sanitation (code red times 3) and the stress from the unknown about the virus.  This crew deserves something special. From all reports the crew did all of this and never lost their warmth and smiles. The main reason I've been a HAL fan since I was 25 in the early 80's is the people on their ships. Every time I step on board I feel like I am home.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I'm not going to get into a spitting match to say one nationality deserves to see their families more than others.  My point is after the ordeal "The Crew" has been through, it would be nice if any  or all of them were able to visit friends and relatives as a reward for all their hard work.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

On her way to Honolulu. eta March 16th...… Any port between M and H?

I'd be surprised if there were ... they look like they are going around the north end of Luzon. If they were going to Guam (!) or Saipan, it looks a ways shorter going south. Aside from a few odd islands like Wake, there's not much inbetween.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

I'd be surprised if there were ... they look like they are going around the north end of Luzon. If they were going to Guam (!) or Saipan, it looks a ways shorter going south. Aside from a few odd islands like Wake, there's not much inbetween.

Two weeks to repaint, scrub and clean the ship and time for wel earned rest for some of them? Must be quite a special experience for the crew:  their ship without passengers.

Edited by MAVIP

1 hour ago, dado123456 said:

With 16 knot speed it takes 13-14 days sailing to Honolulu (5500 miles) so Westerdam should be there on 16th March

And they'll have been two weeks since last port, which may alleviate any need for quarantine that may arise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

And they'll have been two weeks since last port, which may alleviate any need for quarantine that may arise.

Let's hope so, though that seems to be the minimum requirement lately.  I just hope they are getting a well-deserved break.

25 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

Let's hope so, though that seems to be the minimum requirement lately.  I just hope they are getting a well-deserved break.

A well-deserved break - without any tips, and just a minimal salary.

Edited by Donald

10 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Two weeks to repaint, scrub and clean the ship and time for wel earned rest for some of them? Must be quite a special experience for the crew:  their ship without passengers.

I guess this means they'll do this repaint, scrub, and clean in Honolulu? Then when that is all done let the crew do a home visit before leaving for Vancouver BC in May. That would work I think

22 minutes ago, Sososailer said:

I guess this means they'll do this repaint, scrub, and clean in Honolulu? Then when that is all done let the crew do a home visit before leaving for Vancouver BC in May. That would work I think

It is a question and not a statement. Maybe because I cannot imagine any seaman -or woman will sit with folded arms until arrival?

Let's hope the crew are allowed to enjoy the pools and spa. Perhaps watch a movie or two and savor fine dining or even experience a week or two in a passenger cabin. I certainly hope so.

Time to relax and enjoy their unexpected cruise to "NOWHERE"!

Of course stay healthy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More news from Westerdam in Manila

PCG spokesman Commodore Armand Balilo said the only people on the Westerdam when it docked at Pier 15 of South Harbor were its 747 crew. There were no passengers on board.  

“Out of the 747, more than 200 of them were Filipinos. But the Filipino crewmen were disappointed because none of the crew were given shore leave or clearance to disembark from the vessel,” Commodore Balilo said.  

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/03/03/1997660/cruise-ship-allowed-dock-crew-barred-disembarking

• Like 1

An internal Juneau Borough email obtained by the Landmine confirms the ship is on its way to Alaska. According to the email the ship will arrive in Juneau around March 17. It also says that no one on the ship has tested positive for the virus. The ship is slowly making its way to Hawaii and will then head to Alaska. It will be tied up at the dock until the Alaska cruise season starts.

The ship is slowly transiting the Pacific and is planned to clear customs into the US (Honolulu) early this week. Holland America’s tentative plan is to bring the ship to Juneau to tie up to the AJ Dock with the about 400-500 crew on board and be here for 2-3 weeks before the Alaskan cruise season starts. Arrival is estimated to be around 3/17 or so. The arrival of the ship is still tentative, if it is confirmed, we will do public media outreach. It will be an unusual opportunity to welcome and host the crew visitors while they are here.

https://alaskalandmine.com/landmines/ms-westerdam-on-its-way-to-juneau-from-asia/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dado123456 said:

More news from Westerdam in Manila

PCG spokesman Commodore Armand Balilo said the only people on the Westerdam when it docked at Pier 15 of South Harbor were its 747 crew. There were no passengers on board.  

“Out of the 747, more than 200 of them were Filipinos. But the Filipino crewmen were disappointed because none of the crew were given shore leave or clearance to disembark from the vessel,” Commodore Balilo said.  

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/03/03/1997660/cruise-ship-allowed-dock-crew-barred-disembarking

I am heartbroken for all of the crew and their families.  I know that they signed contracts to work away from home, but this makes twice that their hopes have been dashed.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 7:24 AM, SilvertoGold said:

Many of the crew on the Westerdam were on board for the drydock in January.  A very busy, tiring time for them, too.  All need a rest, which I am positive they are getting.

I am still trying to find out what was refurbished on Westerdam during drydock. Looks like routine maintenance, but no new changes?