Grand Classica stabilizer

I’m booked on the Grand Classica in less than two weeks. The weather has been hit or miss to say the least. My question is, has anyone been on the Classica in rough weather? Does she handle high well in high seas?

On 2/3/2020 at 9:45 AM, pinkie60 said:

I’m booked on the Grand Classica in less than two weeks. The weather has been hit or miss to say the least. My question is, has anyone been on the Classica in rough weather? Does she handle high well in high seas?

Could not find if it had stabilizers. However it is bigger then Royal Caribbeans Empress of the Seas. Been on both and really do not remember if either one was a major problem in rough seas. 

Found this when Costa owned it. Looks like they do ahve them. But do they work?

Start at 9 pm for Madeira with a medium bad sea. The Classica is moving as if it was a big tempest. Many passengers were ill during the 36 hrs of crossing. The stabilizers were inoperant.

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Found this when Costa owned it. Looks like they do ahve them. But do they work?

Start at 9 pm for Madeira with a medium bad sea. The Classica is moving as if it was a big tempest. Many passengers were ill during the 36 hrs of crossing. The stabilizers were inoperant.

What are you quoting? Where was this posted?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dahamilton3 said:

Indeed she does have stabilizers.  I was on the January 10th sailing (that was extremely rough) and the Classica handles beautifully!  In fact, she is one of the most stable ships I have sailed on.   Absolutely no worries!

Awesome. Thanks for the review of that.

So now I’m going to answer my own question. I sail on Saturday night on the Classica. The winds were blowing 15-20 with gusts at 30 kts. It was rough going out of Lake Worth Inlet but that is usually the case at this time of the year. I’d say the waves were 5-8 feet and when we hit the Gulf Stream it was really hard to walk or even sit on a chair so I hung onto the table. I was having dinner at the Rock Grill and as everyone knows it is at the very rear of the ship on deck 9. I wasn’t seasick but it wasn’t pleasant eating. BTW the food was excellent and I will review the ship. Look out for it. But the ship never was listed to one side. The captain certainly knew what he was doing keeping the ship into the waves and so the stern and the bow were taking turns up and down. With that said, I booked the balcony suite. It’s smack dab in the middle of the ship. So we got up to the room and it made for a nice rocking to sleep. By the time we got closer to Nassau it was smooth and wonderful. The ship handles well and the captain was good. I would not recommend this ship at this time of the year because the seas can be uncomfortable for some. It wasn’t bad for me but I do use a cane for my bad knees so it was a bit dangerous walking around. I was told by a couple of bartenders that several people had fallen off of barstools, etc. luckily no pukey smell anywhere. It was a beautiful cruise you’ll have to read the review in the review section. Also, does anyone know how to look up where I can find the data on how high the seas where that night of February 15, 2019?

Since I have retired, I have sailed on a variety of cruise ships in the Caribbean--East, West, Southern--itineraries.  

My impression is that the Caribbean is becoming prone for more active seas than once was what expected some time ago.  

Unpleasant:  no, not for me.  Others will have a different view, I am sure.

23 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

My wife at one time got sea sick. No longer. The rough seas do not bother us at all. As for sleeping. It is great when the ship rocks.

If nothing else, it reminds one that you are not at a land based resort!

I actually prefer a cruise when "the ocean is in motion" for awhile.  Just keep it in check please, King Neptune.  Don't need any huge rogue waves.

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If nothing else, it reminds one that you are not at a land based resort!

I actually prefer a cruise when "the ocean is in motion" for awhile.  Just keep it in check please, King Neptune.  Don't need any huge rogue waves.

When it gets real bad. Only the drunk walks in a straight line.😉