Jump to content

Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia


Recommended Posts

I am curious, is there such a thing as cancel for any reason travel insurance anywhere in the world? I buy it to cover medical emergancies while on or before a cruise. I have heard it works well for that. I have never had to use it, thank god. I doubt there is such a policy in existance but I could be wrong. If this sort of policy exists I would assume it is far more expensive than the standard policy I buy through NCL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

I am curious, is there such a thing as cancel for any reason travel insurance anywhere in the world? I buy it to cover medical emergancies while on or before a cruise. I have heard it works well for that. I have never had to use it, thank god. I doubt there is such a policy in existance but I could be wrong. If this sort of policy exists I would assume it is far more expensive than the standard policy I buy through NCL.

Please post this in the travel insurance forum/section of cruisecritic so that the discussion in this thread remains on topic. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My heart goes out to those on the Jade,  all this stress and uncertainty right before what is suppose to be a relaxing, educational, and fun cruise.   

  We are booked on the NCL for May to Europe and considered canceling.   That alone has caused consternation, so I cannot imagine what my fellow cruisers are going through.

  I am very impressed with Princess and how they are handling their situation.   Though are last cruise was on the Haven, and this cruise is on the Haven, our next cruise will not be with the Haven, if they do not step up and do what the majority of cruise lines are doing.   Avoid Asia and refund their customer's money.  If NCL does not do the correct thing my next cruise will be with Princess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mugtech said:

Check out the prices on the 22 day cruise to Dubai and then 20 days Dubai to Rome.  One could get an inside for $1,030 pp plus taxes and port fees for 42 days Singapore to Dubai and then to Rome.  Jade anxious to get out of eastern Asia.

You want to get stuck in a quarantined ship in an inside cabin for a couple of months? You can do that for free. Just rob a bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess is reportedly giving all crew on Diamond two months of paid leave time. NCL has their crew scrubbing down handrails and spraying washy washy 24/7 while shoreside execs pray there is no outbreak and pray media doesn't pick up on their behavior.

 

That's a big, big difference in corporate philosophy. NCL won't pay it's passengers, they sure as heck aren't doing anything for their crew.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Wait about 2 weeks.  This will all blow over....except for Princess, which is a whole other mess.

The WHO Director says thus will probably come in waves for the next year or so. He said hopefully things will improve, but they don't know. The way governments are throwing up quarantine stations all over the place it sounds like they are voting on 'worse', rather than 'better'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SeaShark said:

People who bothered to adequately insure themselves are going to be reimbursed. They are not going to be here...or on any other online forum...complaining and attempting a public shaming in pursuit of compensation. They will be happy.

 

The people making the most noise are the uninsured. Why are they uninsured? Did they not want to be protected? Did they not want to spend money on insurance? Did they not feel that they were at risk? No matter the reason/excuse...ALL of the noise is from people who are not only uninsured, but who feel that their decision to not be insured means that someone else should dig into their pocket to make them whole again.

 

Why do we insist that others should be financially responsible for our decisions?

 

Excuse me, but we did buy a very good insurance policy.  But most policies will not help in a situation like this unless you buy a very expensive "cancel for any reason" policy.

 

A cancel for any reason policy is good option for people who are concerned that they may need to cancel because of "reasons within their own circle of control".  For example if you own a small business, you may need the option to cancel if you're worried that something may come up at work.  Or maybe you want the option to cancel if you should find a better holiday option later on.

 

But I never imagined that I would want or need cancel for any reason policy because I felt the cruise was not safe!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

can someone link to an example of a policy that gives back 100% in a situation like this? would be very helpful to know exactly what to buy for everyones next cruise. 

 

I think the best insurance is that when you book your next cruise choose one of the cruise lines that cares about their customers, not just their bottom line.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

 

But I never imagined that I would want or need cancel for any reason policy because I felt the cruise was not safe!

You are absolutely correct. In fact, I think you would have been fine had you chosen any other cruiseline, except for Norwegian Cruise Lies. They've proven by their lack of action and cheap words they are the bottom of the barrel in the travel industry when it comes to guest relations.

 

Travel insurance was not required for the majority of cruiselines, airlines and hotels. Everyone was taken care of, with or without insurance, in this unique situation.

Edited by blcruising
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhilBenz said:

Thanks for pointing this out, PPCox! Brits can potentially use this legislation to get a full refund.

I doubt we have anything like this here in France, but I'll start looking.

 

I have already queried Mr Calder on his post as according to the UK Ministry of Justice a cruise holiday is and of it's self a package holiday and the EU agrees

 

This came up as part of a legal investigation into gastric compensation when on a cruise 

 

 

The MoJ has published a pre-action protocol for resolution of package travel claims which applies to gastric illness claims contracted during a package holiday which will come into force on 7 May 2018. A cruise is considered a package holiday under the Package Travel Regulations 1992 and under the new Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018, which comes into force from 1 July 2018. This new pre‑action protocol in conjunction with changes to the Civil Procedure Rules applies the fixed costs regime set out in the pre-action protocol for low value personal injury (employer's liability and public liability) claims to package holiday claims.

 

A package holiday claim against a hotel is limited but on a cruise it is not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in.. Princess just cancelled the Feb 13 Sapphire Princess from Singapore.  They get a 100% refund "plus" another 100% FCC.  So it looks like the Jade is truly the last cruise ship that is still scheduled in Singapore.  

 


IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING YOUR CRUISE Sapphire Princess - Voyage H007 - Booking Number  CMGW4V
Dear Princess Guest: We are very sorry to inform you that your Sapphire Princess cruise departing February 13, 2020 has been cancelled.

 

We have been closely monitoring the very fluid and evolving situation with respect to the new coronavirus that originated in mainland China. Our medical experts are being briefed regularly and coordinating closely with international health authorities to ensure we protect the health and well-being of our guests and crew.  

 

With regret, we have made the decision to cancel your cruise vacation. We share in your disappointment and offer our sincere apologies. The safety, health and well-being of our guests and crew is always our top priority. Although there are no known issues regarding coronavirus on board Sapphire Princess, we have made this decision out of an abundance of caution.

 

All guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, Princess Air, Princess Cruise Plus pre- and post-cruise hotel packages, prepaid shore excursions and other prepaid items, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Your refund will be processed automatically via the method of payment used to pay for your cruise. As your cruise has been cancelled so close to departure, each guest will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. The credit may be applied to any future Princess cruise that sails by February 28, 2021 or any existing booking not yet paid in full and is non-refundable and non-transferable.

 

For Guests Already in Singapore Please extend your hotel stay for another night, and we will reimburse you for this cost. If you have a Princess Cruise Plus pre-cruise hotel, we have already arranged to extend your stay for another night at no cost to you.  

 

Guests booked on Princess Air If you purchased your air travel through Princess Cruises, please contact our En Route Assistance Desk at +1 (661) 284-4410 so that we may rebook your homeward flights.  

 

Guests who booked their own Air or have alternative homeward travel plans If you did not purchase your air travel through Princess Cruises, we are unable to change your flight arrangements. Please contact your travel advisor or the airlines directly to revise your travel plans and secure your homeward travel.  We understand this change may cause you to incur unexpected expenses. Air change fees, increased flight costs, and transportation expenses will be reimbursed, and we will reimburse you up to $300 per booking for one-night’s hotel costs in Singapore. Other expenses will be considered on a case-by-case basis. A Refund Request Guide & Form is available at http://www.princess.com/refund-request; please complete and submit this form and any relevant receipts and documentation for our review. If you purchased Princess Vacation Protection or independent vacation travel insurance, please submit your claim through your carrier before submitting a reimbursement request. Again, we extend our deepest apologies and hope we have the opportunity to exceed your cruise vacation expectations in the near future. Sincerely, Princess Cruises

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Just in.. Princess just cancelled the Feb 13 Sapphire Princess from Singapore.  They get a 100% refund "plus" another 100% FCC.  So it looks like the Jade is truly the last cruise ship that is still scheduled in Singapore.  

 


IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING YOUR CRUISE Sapphire Princess - Voyage H007 - Booking Number  CMGW4V
Dear Princess Guest: We are very sorry to inform you that your Sapphire Princess cruise departing February 13, 2020 has been cancelled.

 

We have been closely monitoring the very fluid and evolving situation with respect to the new coronavirus that originated in mainland China. Our medical experts are being briefed regularly and coordinating closely with international health authorities to ensure we protect the health and well-being of our guests and crew.  

 

With regret, we have made the decision to cancel your cruise vacation. We share in your disappointment and offer our sincere apologies. The safety, health and well-being of our guests and crew is always our top priority. Although there are no known issues regarding coronavirus on board Sapphire Princess, we have made this decision out of an abundance of caution.

 

All guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, Princess Air, Princess Cruise Plus pre- and post-cruise hotel packages, prepaid shore excursions and other prepaid items, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Your refund will be processed automatically via the method of payment used to pay for your cruise. As your cruise has been cancelled so close to departure, each guest will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. The credit may be applied to any future Princess cruise that sails by February 28, 2021 or any existing booking not yet paid in full and is non-refundable and non-transferable.

 

For Guests Already in Singapore Please extend your hotel stay for another night, and we will reimburse you for this cost. If you have a Princess Cruise Plus pre-cruise hotel, we have already arranged to extend your stay for another night at no cost to you.  

 

Guests booked on Princess Air If you purchased your air travel through Princess Cruises, please contact our En Route Assistance Desk at +1 (661) 284-4410 so that we may rebook your homeward flights.  

 

Guests who booked their own Air or have alternative homeward travel plans If you did not purchase your air travel through Princess Cruises, we are unable to change your flight arrangements. Please contact your travel advisor or the airlines directly to revise your travel plans and secure your homeward travel.  We understand this change may cause you to incur unexpected expenses. Air change fees, increased flight costs, and transportation expenses will be reimbursed, and we will reimburse you up to $300 per booking for one-night’s hotel costs in Singapore. Other expenses will be considered on a case-by-case basis. A Refund Request Guide & Form is available at http://www.princess.com/refund-request; please complete and submit this form and any relevant receipts and documentation for our review. If you purchased Princess Vacation Protection or independent vacation travel insurance, please submit your claim through your carrier before submitting a reimbursement request. Again, we extend our deepest apologies and hope we have the opportunity to exceed your cruise vacation expectations in the near future. Sincerely, Princess Cruises

It is already 4.15am on the 13th in Singapore. Talk about leaving it to the last minute. I would hate to get off that 20 hour flight and have this message pop up on my email.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, epgjon said:

I am booked on the Feb 17 sailing, but will not be going. Can anyone tell me,  if it would be better to cancel with NCL or just go "no show"   Thank you.

 

My TA said to just no show.  He said there is no advantage to cancelling at this point.  Either way you will get a refund for the only for taxes, and for gratuities that you may have prepaid for the beverage package.  

Edited by Lou33
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vpearlkc said:

I am curious, is there such a thing as cancel for any reason travel insurance anywhere in the world? I buy it to cover medical emergancies while on or before a cruise. I have heard it works well for that. I have never had to use it, thank god. I doubt there is such a policy in existance but I could be wrong. If this sort of policy exists I would assume it is far more expensive than the standard policy I buy through NCL.

 

i bought the princess platinum, or whatever the most expensive one was. and i had to cancel last minute, i got 100 percent credit to use within a year. i forget the cost but it wasnt crazy expensive for CFAR. now cruise line insurance isnt the best regarding medical and evac so may pay to get a 2nd policy as well. 

 

ive researched other lines and some only go to 75 or 80% regardless of cost. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

It is already 4.15am on the 13th in Singapore. Talk about leaving it to the last minute. I would hate to get off that 20 hour flight and have this message pop up on my email.

Yeah. I wonder what they know now, that they didn't before. Probably why they are offering guests a full refund, plus 100% future cruise credit plus air change fees, increased flight costs, $300 towards one night hotel in Singapore (thanks, but no thanks), plus other reasonable costs on a case by case basis. At the end of the day, the guests are out of pocket for their wasted time in transit to the ship.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Yeah. I wonder what they know now, that they didn't before. Probably why they are offering guests a full refund, plus 100% future cruise credit plus air change fees, increased flight costs, $300 towards one night hotel in Singapore (thanks, but no thanks), plus other reasonable costs on a case by case basis. At the end of the day, the guests are out of pocket for their wasted time in transit to the ship.

 

Singapore may have closed the port and it just hasn't hit the news yet, or there was an illness reported on the ship. Something big has happened. They wouldn't do this so late in proceedings for no reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, epgjon said:

I am booked on the Feb 17 sailing, but will not be going. Can anyone tell me,  if it would be better to cancel with NCL or just go "no show"   Thank you.

 

19 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

 

My TA said to just no show.  He said there is no advantage to cancelling at this point.  Either way you will get a refund for the only for taxes, and for gratuities that you may have prepaid for the beverage package.  

 

It does not apply if he booked in the UK

 

It all depends on a number of factors:

 

including has there been a significant change to your cruise and how you booked and who with?

 

But personally I would not "no show" 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

 

My TA said to just no show.  He said there is no advantage to cancelling at this point.  Either way you will get a refund for the only for taxes, and for gratuities that you may have prepaid for the beverage package.  

Thank you for your response.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

It is already 4.15am on the 13th in Singapore. Talk about leaving it to the last minute. I would hate to get off that 20 hour flight and have this message pop up on my email.

Surely NCL has the same intelligence on the current situation as Princess, RCI, Celebrity and Cunard. If each of them have cancelled sailing from Singapore this week how in the world could one company make a call to continue on? Why are they leaving it so late to announce what they are doing knowing that people are boarding flights each day and anxiety is peaking for all involved?! Come on NCL call it!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Straits Times (Singapore) is reporting three new cases in people who have no history of travel to China, and a tightening of border surveillance. They also mention that they have five 'clusters'. I don't know kids, but it looks like this is about to the reach the formal definition of Pandemic, if it hasn't done so already. We are now at WHO Alert Phase 4 according to the definition, where 6 (Pandemic) is 'Increased and sustained transmission in the general population'.

After rapid daily increases, new daily cases of coronavirus in China appear to be 'stabilizing,' the WHO said, as the lowest number of new infections in two weeks was reported

We have human to human transmission in Singapore, and Britain so far, but only on a limited scale. China and the cruise ship are other examples. The virus still seems to be adapting to its new best friends (us). Hopefully it won't like us, and disappear. Soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

Singapore may have closed the port and it just hasn't hit the news yet, or there was an illness reported on the ship. Something big has happened. They wouldn't do this so late in proceedings for no reason.

Statement from Princess:

 

Although there are no known issues regarding coronavirus on board Sapphire Princess, we have made this decision out of an abundance of caution.

 

So if they make decisions out of an abundance of caution.  Logic would tell you that NCL does not use an abundance of caution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lou33 said:

Statement from Princess:

 

Although there are no known issues regarding coronavirus on board Sapphire Princess, we have made this decision out of an abundance of caution.

 

So if they make decisions out of an abundance of caution.  Logic would tell you that NCL does not use an abundance of caution.

This really is absolutely ludicrous. My money is on NCL following suit but the damage they are doing by delaying this decision and not communicating with their passengers will be hard to come back from. Radio silence from NCL with every other cruise line making frank and fearless decisions in favour in their guests. NCL hoping we pull out and cancel before they do to avoid compensation arrangements maybe?! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...