Jump to content

Denied boarding


erllje
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

  They allow people from flu, mumps, measles stricken countries to board knowing that it is highly contagious and there are odds that there will be unvaxed guests on board.  There was no reason to treat coronavirus differently.  The difference is China has been less than forthcoming about this from the start and the method of transmission was unknown.  

 

But they have treated the Coronavirus different otherwise the OP would have boarded their cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

 

People are always willing to throw other people's money around in Goodwill gestures.  That are rarely all that well received.

I feel since they denied us boarding when we were already in port Celebrity was willing to throw our money around!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Your travel insurance may cover your losses, mine would

image.thumb.png.e3d96025a13869b0da0b8da0d343f347.png

She already got a full refund from the cruise line. She wants someone to reimburse her for air travel that she flew but was denied boarding by the cruise line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, klfrodo said:

She already got a full refund from the cruise line. She wants someone to reimburse her for air travel that she flew but was denied boarding by the cruise line.

And, if she'd booked the air through the cruise line, that would have been refunded too.

Of course, had she done so, the cost of the insurance would have increased...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

And, if she'd booked the air through the cruise line, that would have been refunded too.

Of course, had she done so, the cost of the insurance would have increased...

 

That really isn't the end all solution. I recently took a trip where I did the airfare as part of the package. When we had issues with the flight the airlines turned around and played games saying that the fare we paid for the flight wasn't really the cost of the flight because of the package price. After that, I would be very hesitant to ever let a travel company book my flights for me again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2020 at 8:54 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Why should the cruise line exempt those who've traveled through Hong Kong?  Does not the cruise line have a responsibility to protect passengers?  If the cruise line had exempted someone from HK and that person infected the cruise, there would be many irate posters claiming the cruise line was at fault.


They also have a responsibility to passengers they know are transiting through Hong Kong to give them enough warning to make alternate plans before enacting an arbitrary decision.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2020 at 9:47 AM, Elaine5715 said:

 

  Those folks didn't vaccinate and caused considerable distress.  Is the cruise line responsible to compensate those with and without trip interruption insurance?  

 


Per the CDC, the flu vaccination typically has under 50% efficacy.  In other words even if someone is vaccinated, there's a 50% chance they will catch the flu if exposed.  I'm not anti-vax (started the Hep A series last week), but I think big pharma is making billions on flu vaccines based on scare tactics, and until they come up with a better solution, I don't get the flu jab. 

 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/effectiveness-studies.htm 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, klfrodo said:

She already got a full refund from the cruise line. She wants someone to reimburse her for air travel that she flew but was denied boarding by the cruise line.

My airfare and hotel costs are all covered under my travel insurance policy.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

And, if she'd booked the air through the cruise line, that would have been refunded too.

Of course, had she done so, the cost of the insurance would have increased...


Not neccessarily.  They would probably have said that they had flown, therefore no refund.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

 

That really isn't the end all solution. I recently took a trip where I did the airfare as part of the package. When we had issues with the flight the airlines turned around and played games saying that the fare we paid for the flight wasn't really the cost of the flight because of the package price. After that, I would be very hesitant to ever let a travel company book my flights for me again.

She's complaining that the cruise line won't reimburse her airfare when she didn't book the airfare through the cruise line.  She's complaining that her insurance won't cover the airfare when she didn't pay for insuring the airfare.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ducklite said:


They also have a responsibility to passengers they know are transiting through Hong Kong to give them enough warning to make alternate plans before enacting an arbitrary decision.

Certainly, but in a fast developing situation like this, the perfect solution isn't always available.  The cruise line had a greater responsibility to protect the largest number of passengers.  Not, necessarily all the passengers.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ducklite said:


Per the CDC, the flu vaccination typically has under 50% efficacy.  In other words even if someone is vaccinated, there's a 50% chance they will catch the flu if exposed.  I'm not anti-vax (started the Hep A series last week), but I think big pharma is making billions on flu vaccines based on scare tactics, and until they come up with a better solution, I don't get the flu jab. 

 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/effectiveness-studies.htm 

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-people-died-flu-year/story?id=67754182

The flu vax does reduce the severity of the illness.  So far 1300 have died in the US alone this flu season. 68 of them being children.  This year's flu vax may not be the best match and it changes every year based on their best prediction of which flu strain will be dominant.  In addition, every person who gets the flu, helps the virus mutate.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/keyfacts.htm

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

Certainly, but in a fast developing situation like this, the perfect solution isn't always available.  The cruise line had a greater responsibility to protect the largest number of passengers.  Not, necessarily all the passengers.  


And they should make sure that they take care of all of their passengers, including those who were damaged financially by their decisions.  Given your logic they should be charging "room and board" to everyone still on the ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-people-died-flu-year/story?id=67754182

The flu vax does reduce the severity of the illness.  So far 1300 have died in the US alone this flu season. 68 of them being children.  This year's flu vax may not be the best match and it changes every year based on their best prediction of which flu strain will be dominant.  In addition, every person who gets the flu, helps the virus mutate.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/keyfacts.htm


The only time I got the flu I had had the vax.  Big pharma not going to pull that one over on me again.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ducklite said:


And they should make sure that they take care of all of their passengers, including those who were damaged financially by their decisions.  Given your logic they should be charging "room and board" to everyone still on the ship.

The only reason these folks are still on the ship is because the Customs isn't letting them off.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ducklite said:


And they should make sure that they take care of all of their passengers, including those who were damaged financially by their decisions.  Given your logic they should be charging "room and board" to everyone still on the ship.

That's absurd.  The cruise line gave them a refund of the money they spent with the cruise line.  They gave them a cruise credit.  The cruise line has no responsibility to refund money that wasn't spent on the cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

image.thumb.png.c3fa6261b4fb22d95697a1d668868ae8.png

 

1.  It was the flu per a lab test.  I was prescribed Tamiflu.

2.  Highly doubtful as I got the flu over two months after having the vax.

3 & 4. DING DING DING--ie the vax flat out doesn't work half the time.  Big pharma selling us a bill of goods and reaping in billions in the process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...