Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Kiwi_cruiser

Diamond Princess under quarantine in Yokohama due to coronavirus concerns

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The GF Cornflakes are loaded with sugar.

Yuck! 

 

Luckily I can eat the normal ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

Only vegetable that makes me gag is Brussel sprouts and that stems back from having too many as a kid. Stuff of nightmares. 

 

Japanese food is very healthy, but as you said a lot of people don't eat a lot of vegetables besides potatoes.

I used to hate Brussels sprouts until I learnt some different ways to cook them - roasted is nice. Mind you I won't eat them on a cruise ship, they are usually horrible.

 

I love Japanese food except for breakfast. I need some western food for breakfast but can happily eat Japanese food for the rest of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

He said he wanted gluten free food too, but he has not admitted to being a Coeliac.   Cornflakes have sugar in them.  All turning into a farce this show.

From his posts it sounds like Mr Abel was choosing to eat cornflakes exclusively. I gave up cornflakes when I looked at how much sugar was in them. For a diabetic, I think that is not a wise choice. Even if he doesn't like some of the food offered, for example the piece of salmon, it would be much better for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has just posted a video on you tube. I am now convinced it is the real thing,  going to hostel then hospital when they find room.

 

Be a while before they return to England's green and pleasant land and taste some real food.1244491476_lanccrisps.jpg.30735e15fef1350d94ab1d934a10c075.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

 

Cargo planes don't normally have windows, as not required. They're also not painted on the inside as the cargo doesn't care (and as a result are a bit more beaten about). 

 

To me they look like lights not windows.

 

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They have the least amount of sugar of any cereals, if any. 

 

Corn itself is high in sugar so I would assume that would transfer into the cornflakes unless the processing removes some of the sugar🤔.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They have the least amount of sugar of any cereals, if any. 

 

Cereals like oats, porridge and muesli have less sugar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

To me they look like lights not windows.

 

Look on the right side especially. You can see they're flush with the aircraft skin i.e. windows, not lights on the surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

 

Look on the right side especially. You can see they're flush with the aircraft skin i.e. windows, not lights on the surface.

My vote is lights. Why have windows you can't see out of from your seat. Looks to me like an internal lining has been fitted - with lighting - to protect aircraft inner wall from  damage by loading or shifting cargo. I've never seen aircraft windows "flush", always recessed (I accept that just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. I've lost count of how many planes I've flown in - military [cargo] and commercial).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder which  plane will fly the others back to Darwin today?

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My vote is lights. Why have windows you can't see out of from your seat. Looks to me like an internal lining has been fitted - with lighting - to protect aircraft inner wall from  damage by loading or shifting cargo. I've never seen aircraft windows "flush", always recessed (I accept that just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. I've lost count of how many planes I've flown in - military [cargo] and commercial).

US evacuation aircraft. Windows?

US-plane-.jpg.webp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Look on the right side especially. You can see they're flush with the aircraft skin i.e. windows, not lights on the surface.

 

Here are some good pictures of the aircraft:

Passengers disembark from coronavirus-quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship

 

There is a picture of the outside of the plane and it seems to me to be no windows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

Here are some good pictures of the aircraft:

Passengers disembark from coronavirus-quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship

 

There is a picture of the outside of the plane and it seems to me to be no windows. 

Kalitta Air owns the cargo plane chartered by the US govt that transported its citizens from the Diamond back to the US. They are a cargo airline based in Michigan.

 

Leigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I wonder which  plane will fly the others back to Darwin today?

One of QANTAS' few remaining 747-400s (known as the Longreach) was modified for the evacuations from Wuhan. More outside air was brought into the cabin and medical grade filtration was installed. It was announced that deep cleaning of the plane took three days after each evacuation flight.

 

It would be highly likely that this same plane would be used for the Diamond Princess passengers. As QANTAS was planning to retire this plane within months, it is possible that this plane won't go back into service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anybody familiar with an Asian family in quarantine on the Diamond? They were mum and dad with two adult children all in an inside cabin. The son had coloured hair which may sound familiar.

They featured on our nightly news here in Melbourne and were always in high spirits when interviewed and looking very forward to coming home.

Well, they were all packed ready to leave the ship and it was announced the daughter had tested positive.

Such bad luck and heart breaking for them. Don’t know if they all ended up staying behind to be with the daughter or not.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere this morning that as the daughter was a minor, a parent needed to stay. It said that all 4 were going to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

To me they look like lights not windows.

 

 

Corn itself is high in sugar so I would assume that would transfer into the cornflakes unless the processing removes some of the sugar🤔.

I checked and they are the fourth in sugar lowest of all cereals available in Australia, Weetbix was third lowest, and the other two were muesli type blends I'd never heard of. So many standard cereals have a huge amount of added sugar as well as any natural sugars.

 

When DH was diagnosed with diabetes the dietician recommended Special K which is lower GI than cornflakes but, oddly, has more added sugar. Too sweet for me, I went back to my cornflakes.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fletch1 said:

Is anybody familiar with an Asian family in quarantine on the Diamond? They were mum and dad with two adult children all in an inside cabin. The son had coloured hair which may sound familiar.

They featured on our nightly news here in Melbourne and were always in high spirits when interviewed and looking very forward to coming home.

Well, they were all packed ready to leave the ship and it was announced the daughter had tested positive.

Such bad luck and heart breaking for them. Don’t know if they all ended up staying behind to be with the daughter or not.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All TV news were reporting, this morning, that they are staying together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fletch1 said:

Is anybody familiar with an Asian family in quarantine on the Diamond? They were mum and dad with two adult children all in an inside cabin. The son had coloured hair which may sound familiar.

They featured on our nightly news here in Melbourne and were always in high spirits when interviewed and looking very forward to coming home.

Well, they were all packed ready to leave the ship and it was announced the daughter had tested positive.

Such bad luck and heart breaking for them. Don’t know if they all ended up staying behind to be with the daughter or not.

How disappointing for them. I have seen video of this family many times. They always seemed so upbeat. I hope everything works out well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Australians evacuated from the Diamond Princess have arrived in Darwin. A small number who planned to go were advised that they had positive tests and had to remain in Japan. This is a different response from the American one where those with positive tests were still allowed to leave on the plane.

 

 

Coronavirus: Qantas flight carrying Diamond Princess ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the problem with tests. No test is 100% reliable. They can give a false positive, saying that someone has the disease when they do not, and false negative, saying the person doesn't have the disease when they do.

 

Warning, maths ahead!

 

Lets say there were 3000 uninfected people on the Diamond Princess, and 500 infected, none showing symptoms. Let us also assume the test is 95% reliable. These are just figures plucked out of the air to illustrate a point. Test them all, of the 3000 non infected, 2850 will test negative, 150 will test positive. Of the 500 infected, 475 will test positive and 25 negative.

 

Summing that up, 625 will be told they have the virus (but 150 don't) and 2875 will be told they don't have the virus (but 25 do). 

 

That's the scary part. It's no wonder USA and Australian governments are insisting on further quarantine. Even if the test is 99% reliable, that's still 5 people out there. I have no idea of the reliability of the test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cme2c said:

Here's the problem with tests. No test is 100% reliable. They can give a false positive, saying that someone has the disease when they do not, and false negative, saying the person doesn't have the disease when they do.

 

Warning, maths ahead!

 

Lets say there were 3000 uninfected people on the Diamond Princess, and 500 infected, none showing symptoms. Let us also assume the test is 95% reliable. These are just figures plucked out of the air to illustrate a point. Test them all, of the 3000 non infected, 2850 will test negative, 150 will test positive. Of the 500 infected, 475 will test positive and 25 negative.

 

Summing that up, 625 will be told they have the virus (but 150 don't) and 2875 will be told they don't have the virus (but 25 do). 

 

That's the scary part. It's no wonder USA and Australian governments are insisting on further quarantine. Even if the test is 99% reliable, that's still 5 people out there. I have no idea of the reliability of the test.

The unreliability of the tests is a major problem. One American couple (husband a doctor) received a positive result for the wife's test. She was hospitalized and he stayed in Japan. She had no symptoms so he doubted the positive result. Her next test was negative. She was then advised that Japan had 'run out of test kits' and that she would be tested again soon. If she has a second negative test, she will be released from hospital.

 

This is where assistance from Princess staff in Japan will be important - get them into a hotel and in 14 days, organise flights home.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if Diamond Dave and Princess Sally have actually left the ship yet, enroute to the hostel.  No info today yet.  One wonders if the British Embassy will drop off some English tucker at the hostel for them, i.e. pork pies, black pudding, as they have expressed on their broadcasts their dislike of Japanese food and bento boxes which they were feeding them with at the hostels.

 

1065608485_th(2).jpg.25df17f2bafb88f72b446dd7681ab16b.jpg    A couple of these delivered  per day would put back on the weight  lost in cabin. 

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

 

Mystery solved.

Correct, cargo plane no windows - Boeing 747, retro fitted with seats and isolation cabin.  No peanuts and champers or hot towels on take off.   More like a made in the USA Peanut butter and Jelly sambo and a bottle of coke.

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...