Diamond Princess under quarantine in Yokohama due to coronavirus concerns

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Correct, cargo plane no windows - Boeing 747, retro fitted with seats and isolation cabin.  No peanuts and champers or hot towels on take off.   More like a made in the USA Peanut butter and Jelly sambo and a bottle of coke.

On another forum someone said no food was given to stop passengers taking off their masks. I can't find a detailed account of what it was like on the flight so I don't know if it is true but if it is that would be pretty extreme as a flight from Tokyo to America is not that short😱.

Edited by ilikeanswers

38 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

On another forum someone said no food was given to stop passengers taking off their masks. I can't find a detailed account of what it was like on the flight so I don't know if it is true but if it is that would be pretty extreme as a flight from Tokyo to America is not that short😱.

12 hours I believe - Tokyo to the West Coast of USA. and another 3 hours into Texas, the evacuees were taken to 2 US Air Bases in California and Texas.  Long time with no tucker.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I read that comment but I felt that expecting people to last 12 hours plus the 5 or so hours before take-off without food and more importantly without water, would not be good for the passengers health or well-being. I suspect that the comment that the lack of food was to stop passengers taking off their masks was a supposition on someone's part. I would believe it if someone who was involved came on and said that is what they were told on board.

On the Australian flights, a box with food and also drink was on each seat when the passengers boarded.

Its reputation may be tainted from here on. Who would want to sail on it. From what I hear some Japanese people will be keeping clear of it and it hit the news so hard over there in prime time every day for two weeks with cases growing that it could be highly unlikely any local authorities let that ship dock in and Japanese ports for the foreseeable future. Besides it will be a massive task to undertake.

Imagine removing all the carpets, cabins included, all the mattresses, bed linens, curtains, almost everything and anything that has been in contact with passengers. All the items in the ships shops that have been touched and handled, all the guardrails are coming off and getting replaced. This does not sound like an overnight job. This sounds like 6 months worth of intense work with people in hazmat suits doing it.

I reckon after the big clean up, Diamond will be renamed and sent to P&O Australia, as they do - Pacific Diamond.  The Yanks won't travel on her but many novice Aussie cruisers would.

What say ye? 

Edited by NSWP

49 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Update on the Abel's they not happy were they are and has asked Trump to get them home. Though if they got pneumonia, I would have thought flying home maybe not the best thing to do. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8032057/British-couple-diagnosed-pneumonia-contracting-Covid-19-ship.html

Agree with you on that one, icat2000; a 12 hour flight with acute pneumonia sounds very painful. I would have expected that the Japanese hospitals would be one of the best places to be in the world, if one were ill. Surely, there's just some miscommunication between the doctors and the family?

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I reckon after the big clean up, Diamond will be renamed and sent to P&O Australia, as they do - Pacific Diamond.  The Yanks won't travel on her but many novice Aussie cruisers would.

What say ye? 

I think I would sail on her in the future, perhaps not the near future. She is my favourite ship. 

Research is being conducted at the moment to find out how long the virus is active when there is not a human host. Other corona viruses such as SARS only remained active for up to 9 days or so. They stays active longer in cold conditions. So once the Diamond is cleaned to the specs required there really shouldn't be a problem with her.

Leigh

59 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Update on the Abel's they not happy were they are and has asked Trump to get them home. Though if they got pneumonia, I would have thought flying home maybe not the best thing to do. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8032057/British-couple-diagnosed-pneumonia-contracting-Covid-19-ship.html

Sarah, because it is a Daily Mail article, I don't neccessarily believe all that is written in the article. I don't know why they are asking Trump to get them home. I doubt, until they are are tested negative that they will be allowed to leave by the Japanese and I agree that it would be not the best thing to fly with pneumonia. As for David being in a wheelchair, that statement from the son is all over the place - 'Dad is very weak. He can't walk around — he's in a wheelchair now. I haven't seen him in a wheelchair, but mum tells me he has to be put in a wheelchair to go from the ambulance to the hospital.' I would think that would be normal. 

Leigh

48 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Sarah, because it is a Daily Mail article, I don't neccessarily believe all that is written in the article. I don't know why they are asking Trump to get them home. I doubt, until they are are tested negative that they will be allowed to leave by the Japanese and I agree that it would be not the best thing to fly with pneumonia. As for David being in a wheelchair, that statement from the son is all over the place - 'Dad is very weak. He can't walk around — he's in a wheelchair now. I haven't seen him in a wheelchair, but mum tells me he has to be put in a wheelchair to go from the ambulance to the hospital.' I would think that would be normal. 

Leigh

The article references primary sources both to the tweet and a video blog from his son. Its a lot better than some newspapers who run articles based on sources close to ...Muppets... said the sky will fall down tomorrow. There could be a degree of sensationalism from both the paper and the son. Paper for clicks, and the son to create urgency for the plight of his parents.

Not sure why they don't have an interpreter for his parents. If, it was my parents and I didn't want to or couldn't fly to Japan I would look to hire a local interpreter to assist in the translation given their experience of misunderstanding before.

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Agree with you on that one, icat2000; a 12 hour flight with acute pneumonia sounds very painful. I would have expected that the Japanese hospitals would be one of the best places to be in the world, if one were ill. Surely, there's just some miscommunication between the doctors and the family?

Pete and I fly home from Sydney to Melbourne with  colds after our cruise in January and that was just over an hour flight. And we are much younger than the Abels and it was no fun whatsoever. 

Edited by icat2000

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

What say ye? 

Scuttle it. Seriously, who is going to sail on the Diamond Princess. It will always be known as the "Bug Ship". 

I love the Diamond Princess too, but I wouldn't sail on it. 

Edited by icat2000

7 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Not sure why they don't have an interpreter for his parents. If, it was my parents and I didn't want to or couldn't fly to Japan I would look to hire a local interpreter to assist in the translation given their experience of misunderstanding before.

That's what I would be doing. I wonder if the British Govt is trying to help them? Surely they are. 

Leigh

45 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

The article references primary sources both to the tweet and a video blog from his son. Its a lot better than some newspapers who run articles based on sources close to ...Muppets... said the sky will fall down tomorrow. There could be a degree of sensationalism from both the paper and the son. Paper for clicks, and the son to create urgency for the plight of his parents.

I think part of the problem is it took his son (Stephen) a long time to track where they had been moved to. Everything happened so fast, like in 24 hours or less, so there probably wasn't time to set anything up, especially with the time zone difference. They finally heard from the British embassy (? not sure if it was the one in Japan or whoever they contact in the UK) who had tracked David & Sally down and spoken to them but then took seven hours to report back to Stephen and his wife.

According to Stephen on his latest Vlog, Princess managed to get a Japanese mobile phone and a care package to David & Sally so they are now in phone contact again. They are trying to get a WiFi dongle to them so David can get connected again. Apparently they are doing OK and were sounding happier when Stephen talked to them. 

51 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Scuttle it. Seriously, who is going to sail on the Diamond Princess. It will always be known as the "Bug Ship". 

I love the Diamond Princess too, but I wouldn't sail on it. 

I'll cruise on her again once she's sanitized. By that stage she will be cleaner than any other ship afloat apart from a new build.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Wow.

The International Transport Federation [ITF] have announced after a meeting with Princess & Japanese officials a few days ago, that the remaining crew onboard Diamond Princess will be sent home on leave after all the passengers have left the vessel.

About 70 crew are in hospital with the virus.  1004 officers & crew onboard from 40 nations will leave the ship.

A minimum manning crew of mainly deck & engine room crew & officers will take over the vessel. The relief master is already in Yokohama awaiting instructions. 

This will enable the vessel to be moved if required & maintain services while the industrial cleaning takes place either in Japan or elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

The International Transport Federation [ITF] have announced after a meeting with Princess & Japanese officials a few days ago, that the remaining crew onboard Diamond Princess will be sent home on leave after all the passengers have left the vessel.

About 70 crew are in hospital with the virus.  1004 officers & crew onboard from 40 nations will leave the ship.

A minimum manning crew of mainly deck & engine room crew & officers will take over the vessel. The relief master is already in Yokohama awaiting instructions. 

This will enable the vessel to be moved if required & maintain services while the industrial cleaning takes place either in Japan or elsewhere.

Cheers, interesting to see what ends up happening and how soon she will be available for future cruises.

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I operate the same with news articles. Anything like The Guardian is immediately not looked at which is extreme left as is any news source that is extreme right. Generally it is same to read articles right down the centre that are not politically biased.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Cheers, interesting to see what ends up happening and how soon she will be available for future cruises.

I read somewhere, just an hour or so ago (maybe on the Princess forum), that she will go into dry dock in Singapore, possibly taking Sapphire's booked slot and Sapphire maybe getting her dry dock earlier since she's already at the shipyard.

4 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Isnt that an older report?

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Isnt that an older report?

There has been a later Vlog from Stephen - see post 290. That's the problem with media articles, by the time they are written they are out of date.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I read somewhere, just an hour or so ago (maybe on the Princess forum), that she will go into dry dock in Singapore, possibly taking Sapphire's booked slot and Sapphire maybe getting her dry dock earlier since she's already at the shipyard.

Quite possibly, it will need to have a lot of work done. Majestic has a spot booked for early March as well.