Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Kiwi_cruiser

Diamond Princess under quarantine in Yokohama due to coronavirus concerns

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, lissie said:

Presuambly they will be given a substitute - Japan is  very developed country- I'm sure they  have the same diseases as everywhere else and drugs to treat it. Americans seem to get opioids for anything and everything - while the rest of us manage on alternative pain killers just fine. I don't know about anti-psychotics - but would you  be well enough to travel if you were on something like that?  Its more going to be things like diabetes and cardiac drugs I should think.  

 

Personally I'm on drugs for reflux and glaucoma - but  I  could skip them for a few weeks without any consequences 

Yes I realise Japan is a very developed country.  I have to have thyroid medication every day or my health suffers and I’m sure there will be many passengers who would be the same - need their medication everyday. 
 

Leigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm guessing they have access to, and the ability to provide, medications which are on the 'importation prohibition' list. Having been there (Japan) last year I seem to recall things like opioids were on that list and I can't believe there are no opioid medications in Japan. I'm sure they could provide them for passengers in this unavoidable situation - they just don't want people bringing them in without regulation.

I agree with your comments. If people don't have enough medication for their enforced stay, they would have the original packaging to prove what they were taking, or be able to contact their doctor at home to get authorization for more medication. Princess would be able to source the required medications in USA and fly them to Japan. I am sure the Japanese government would not stand in the way of people continuing with their usual medication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes I realise Japan is a very developed country.  I have to have thyroid medication every day or my health suffers and I’m sure there will be many passengers who would be the same - need their medication everyday. 
 

Leigh

Just travel with double what you need - if its  a critical drug. We do a lot of remote travel so when my partner was first pout on heart pills I looked his dr in the eye and said if he lost all his pills how long  has he got because I don't want to have to source drugs in Burma (which was were we were off to). He said 3-5 days. Cool I can get us to Thailand in that time - problem sorted. Its a conversation worth having with your dr - what happens if for whatever reason you can't take the pill e.g. severe food poisoning or loss of  luggage - what are the consequences and how long have you go to get replacements. 

 

It would be easier for the Princess passengers if they were somewhere like Thailand or Malaysia - because you can buy almost anything over the counter there - and most drugs are available without a perscritpions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, lissie said:

 

My partner takes a range of pills to keep his heart beating as it should. When we travel he takes about double what he needs. I carry 1/2 - he the other 1/2 usually split between 3 different bags. I always figured that if we lost one bag he should have enough to make it through most or all of the trip.  We're doing a  cruise shortly - only for 14 days - so that would still work if we were quarantined on the last day. Its not like he'd die the day he ran out of pills - he could ration them out  for an extra month or so. Must admit never did it because of a pandemic - but certainly because of lost luggage or unexpected delays. I recall when passengers got stuck on shore overnight in NZ from a cruise ship that some needed emergency pharmacy access to get required pills. He won't be doing a shore excursion without his current week's pill box 🙂

Lissie, do you carry your medication in your checked luggage or carry on? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I can't believe there are no opioid medications in Japan. 

Actually I think they are pretty rare https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1524904217303788 - and 

https://www.jabfm.org/content/jabfp/30/2/248.full.pdf

And they are a painkiller - there are plenty of others.  They are pretty easy to replace compared to other more specialized drugs. 

 

You'd be very unlikely to be on opioids in NZ long enough to need to take them overseas with you. They are generally only used for patients in hospital from what I've seen. 

Edited by lissie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Lissie, do you carry your medication in your checked luggage or carry on? 

Carry on - always. But split between our 2 carry ons. Often that's the only luggage we have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lissie said:

Just travel with double what you need - if its  a critical drug. We do a lot of remote travel so when my partner was first pout on heart pills I looked his dr in the eye and said if he lost all his pills how long  has he got because I don't want to have to source drugs in Burma (which was were we were off to). He said 3-5 days. Cool I can get us to Thailand in that time - problem sorted. Its a conversation worth having with your dr - what happens if for whatever reason you can't take the pill e.g. severe food poisoning or loss of  luggage - what are the consequences and how long have you go to get replacements. 

 

It would be easier for the Princess passengers if they were somewhere like Thailand or Malaysia - because you can buy almost anything over the counter there - and most drugs are available without a perscritpions. 

We always have our medication in our carry on -  we tend to cruise or when travelling in Australia it will be us all all the time  so hopefully won’t lose it. Yes it would have been much easier for Princess! 😀😀😀
 

 

Edited by possum52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We always have our medication in our carry on -  we tend to cruise or when travelling in Australia it will be us all all the time .
 

 

You can still lose or damage a carry on. Probably done too many small boats in Asia - but I've seen hand luggage end up in the sea... I used to just make sure my passport and money was safe. Now I need travel clothes with pockets big enough for pill boxes and glasses as well LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess did say that after a run out to sea to use the desalinators for more fresh water and for bunkering that they would be returning to Yokohama to dock so they can take on more supplies.

 

I hope that Princess medical staff are checking with all passengers to see if they urgently need supplies of whatever medications they are on. Few people would think to pack an extra 14+ days of their meds - we usually only pack 4-7 days extra, depending on the length of the cruise.

Exactly, we usually take a few days extra but not two weeks worth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Princess board re the numbers on Diamond Princess

 

Just for information, of the 2,666 passengers on board, there are:

428 Americans

251 Canadians

223 Australians

roughly half are Japanese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

From the Princess board re the numbers on Diamond Princess

 

Just for information, of the 2,666 passengers on board, there are:

428 Americans

251 Canadians

223 Australians

roughly half are Japanese

Interesting statistics.  Was the cruise a circle cruise from Japan to Japan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Interesting statistics.  Was the cruise a circle cruise from Japan to Japan?

It was supposed to pick up Taiwan and Okinawa and a few other Japanese ports..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lissie said:

Just travel with double what you need - if its  a critical drug. We do a lot of remote travel so when my partner was first pout on heart pills I looked his dr in the eye and said if he lost all his pills how long  has he got because I don't want to have to source drugs in Burma (which was were we were off to). He said 3-5 days. Cool I can get us to Thailand in that time - problem sorted. Its a conversation worth having with your dr - what happens if for whatever reason you can't take the pill e.g. severe food poisoning or loss of  luggage - what are the consequences and how long have you go to get replacements. 

 

It would be easier for the Princess passengers if they were somewhere like Thailand or Malaysia - because you can buy almost anything over the counter there - and most drugs are available without a perscritpions. 

Sage advice. It did take a bit of explaining when my wife was on the way to Ethiopia via Dubai. When we requested approval from the UAE health department they queried why she was bringing so many pills for a 3 day stay! We did explain to their satisfaction but it took a week or so longer to get approval. The lesson is, prepare early! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got to say this guy who is on board - is just amazing and hilarious! So positive and cheerful. And very good at calling out the lack of info from the cruise line.  https://www.facebook.com/david.abel.75 

 

I've got to say I would be OK being stuck in a cabin - so long as the Internet is free! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:


It’s a leadership training centre for the Army ,with all the very latest amenities . The evacuees will be hosted for their quarantine in a fleet of camper vans .

Heres a pic from this mornings Herald 

 

44AC53A7-7DB6-4019-8118-4E8D54B4A114.thumb.jpeg.68dc3765af4225ef37963ec7298635c6.jpeg

 

Why do NZ always have a more empathic response than Australia?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The update on the Princess website did say they would be docking to take on supplies. After that they are heading back out to sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Why do NZ always have a more empathic response than Australia?  

I don't know that it would be much better confined to a motorhome parked in a military base (NZ's quarantine) or in the facility on Christmas Island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't know that it would be much better confined to a motorhome parked in a military base (NZ's quarantine) or in the facility on Christmas Island.

Did you see the video of conditions inside the Christmas Island facility?  I imagine the motorhomes would be clean and comfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

So sorry for family of four locked down in a tiny inside cabin.  I have happily cruised in an inside cabin in the past but this has turned me off cruising in an inside cabin in future.  

Edited by MMDown Under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

So sorry for family of four locked down in a tiny inside cabin.  I have happily cruised in an inside cabin in the past but this has turned me off cruising in an inside cabin in future.  

Yep, that would be tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...