Anyone with Experience using Cancel For Any Reason ?

SRQMom

I just purchased CFAR insurance for a TA cruise out of Rome on Celebrity.  I too am worried about the Coronavirus.  Ironically, when I was hold with one of the Insurance providers their "music" was a statement that the Coronavirus is not covered under their regular policy and suggested the CFAR.  But the plot thickens.  I spoke to my travel agent, and then with reps from both Allianz and Travel Insured on their CFAR coverage.  Allianz rep told me that even though it says their's is actually "Cancel at ANYTIME" not "Reason" (I missed that distinction and almost purchased it).  They have a host of "not covered" reasons and a "tiered" system (80% for this reason vs 70% for that reason...but doesn't have that list of criteria available).  So, spoke to the Travel Insured rep, who told me there's is a true CFAR, BUT, read the fine print.  1) If the "reason" you cancel is because of one of the listed "exclusions" at the end of the contract/plan, then it's denied (so CFAR isn't really CFAR is the reason is excluded from coverage) and  2) The Coronavirus is already been identified so not covered and wouldn't be covered under the CFAR (yes, it's very confusing).  She joked that the reason "it's going to be raining and I've decided not to go" would be approved but stating the reason was because of anything under "Exclusions" (like epidemic or injured while bungee jumping) would not.  I think CFAR is well worth it for me (everyone's different) but take heed on what you declare as your reason if you have to cancel.  Has anyone actually used the CFAR before and been denied/approved and if so, what was your experience?  I think a lot of people are considering it and it's very confusing.  I'm still within the 21 day to purchase window (and under the 14 day review period on the policy I just purchase) so still checking around on the best policy.  I paid $600 for a roughly $6,500 total (airfare and cruise).  Thanks!!! 

38 minutes ago, SRQMom said:

I just purchased CFAR insurance for a TA cruise out of Rome on Celebrity.  I too am worried about the Coronavirus.  Ironically, when I was hold with one of the Insurance providers their "music" was a statement that the Coronavirus is not covered under their regular policy and suggested the CFAR.  But the plot thickens.  I spoke to my travel agent, and then with reps from both Allianz and Travel Insured on their CFAR coverage.  Allianz rep told me that even though it says their's is actually "Cancel at ANYTIME" not "Reason" (I missed that distinction and almost purchased it).  They have a host of "not covered" reasons and a "tiered" system (80% for this reason vs 70% for that reason...but doesn't have that list of criteria available).  So, spoke to the Travel Insured rep, who told me there's is a true CFAR, BUT, read the fine print.  1) If the "reason" you cancel is because of one of the listed "exclusions" at the end of the contract/plan, then it's denied (so CFAR isn't really CFAR is the reason is excluded from coverage) and  2) The Coronavirus is already been identified so not covered and wouldn't be covered under the CFAR (yes, it's very confusing).  She joked that the reason "it's going to be raining and I've decided not to go" would be approved but stating the reason was because of anything under "Exclusions" (like epidemic or injured while bungee jumping) would not.  I think CFAR is well worth it for me (everyone's different) but take heed on what you declare as your reason if you have to cancel.  Has anyone actually used the CFAR before and been denied/approved and if so, what was your experience?  I think a lot of people are considering it and it's very confusing.  I'm still within the 21 day to purchase window (and under the 14 day review period on the policy I just purchase) so still checking around on the best policy.  I paid $600 for a roughly $6,500 total (airfare and cruise).  Thanks!!! 

COVERAGE C
CANCEL FOR ANY REASON
If You cancel Your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this Policy, benefits will be paid for 75% of the Prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits You paid for Your Trip provided:
a) Your Payment for this Policy and enrollment form are received within 21 days of the date Your initial Payment or Deposit for Your Trip is received;
b) You insure 100% of the Prepaid Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also insure within 21 days of the Payment or Deposit for those Travel Arrangements the cost of any subsequent Travel Arrangements (or any other Travel Arrangements not made through Your travel agent) added to Your Trip; and
c) You cancel Your Trip 48 hours or more before Your Scheduled Departure Date.
These benefits will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the Policy or any coverage(s) attached to the Policy.

COVERAGE D
INTERRUPTION FOR ANY REASON
If You interrupt Your Trip, 72 hours or more after Your actual Departure Date, for any reason not otherwise covered by this Policy, benefits will be paid, up to the lesser of a) the Maximum Benefit
Amount shown in Your Confirmation of Benefits; or b) 75% the total amount of coverage You purchased, to reimburse You for unused non-refundable land or water Travel Arrangements;"

And I'm looking at the "end of the policy".

Could you please show me a section at the end that would invalidate the Coverage C or D (that D, interruption for any reason, is also very nice, btw!)?

The coverage states:  "If You cancel Your Trip for ANY reason not otherwise covered by this Policy..."

The only "exclusion" I can find involves the timing (not immediately before departure date or immediately after planned departure date.  Those aren't "reasons" for cancelling/interrupting.  And it states that benefits will not be duplicated by the CFAR and regular coverage, which is fair enough.

And as far as I can tell, the "end of the policy" contains state-specific definitions, such as what a "pre-existing condition" is, and those don't involve "CFAR" either.

Indeed, for CFAR, one doesn't even need to give a reason (other than "I want to cancel this trip"), so how could the non-existent "reason" be excluded?

Some of what you wrote the rep said makes no sense, and this wouldn't be the first time (or first company)!

I'd call Steve (at TripInsuranceStore) and check with him.  He's more knowledgeable than the "entry level" phone reps at the insurer, who apparently are not trained to comprehend/explain legalese. (They are not the only company's "first line entry level phone reps" who often seem clueless...!)

I've never looked at an Allianz policy, but based upon what I've heard recently from someone else (not a CC member) who has coverage with them, I wouldn't touch them with a 100-foot long pole!  (Of course, that person's report could be, uh, incomplete...?)

GC

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

Some of what you wrote the rep said makes no sense, and this wouldn't be the first time (or first company)!

I'd call Steve (at TripInsuranceStore) and check with him.  He's more knowledgeable than the "entry level" phone reps at the insurer, who apparently are not trained to comprehend/explain legalese. (They are not the only company's "first line entry level phone reps" who often seem clueless...!)

I've never looked at an Allianz policy, but based upon what I've heard recently from someone else (not a CC member) who has coverage with them, I wouldn't touch them with a 100-foot long pole!  (Of course, that person's report could be, uh, incomplete...?)

GC

I totally agree with your assessment on the "knowledge" of the entry level phone reps and the legitimacy of what she even told me.  (point in fact, it took her and two other reps to try and determine where the 14 day after initial deposit even was because on rep said you count the day of the deposit and the other person said you didn't...ugh!).  Which just makes it all more confusing.  But I am with you also on the "any reason" is any reason.  Perhaps she was meaning don't "give an excluded reason" if asked?? But then I've never had to cancel a cruise before using that feature so maybe they don't even "ask".  Or better yet, just say "I don't want to go" if they do LOL.  Thanks for your insight. 

8 hours ago, SRQMom said:

Hi SRQMom,

I'm sorry that you are getting conflicting and wrong explanations. I hope I can clear this up for you.

“Cancel For Any Reason” (CFAR) is just that – cancelling your entire trip for a reason that is normally not covered (e.g., changing your mind).

Here is how the Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) works in a claim assuming you have met all the requirements that the insurance company has to qualify for having its Cancel For Any Reason coverage:

- If you cancel your trip for a covered reason, you will be reimbursed for your loss up to the plan's limit.

- If you cancel your trip for a not covered reason, you will be reimbursed for your loss up to the plan's Cancel For Any Reason limit which is commonly 75% of the money you lose when you cancel.

Where it gets even more confusing is when you have a situation like this 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

That's because if you cancel your trip because of worry or fear of the Coronavirus with the CFAR, you are cancelling your entire trip for a reason that is normally not covered.

I know it sounds like a contradiction to say you are covered if you have the CFAR. It’s not a contradiction because if you cancel because of worry or fear of the Coronavirus with the CFAR, you are cancelling your entire trip for a reason that is normally not covered.

Whenever we help someone with a Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) claim, we always tell them to say "I changed my mind" for the reason they are cancelling. Changing your mind is a not normally not covered reason just like lots of other reasons.

I hope this makes sense. If not, ask me more.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi SRQMom,

There's something else that's important to understand about having a plan with CFAR in relation to the Coronavirus.

The only way to have Trip Cancellation coverage for the Coronavirus is if you buy the Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage.

You will be covered for Trip Cancellation if you have the CFAR because if you cancel because of worry or fear of the Coronavirus with the CFAR, you must cancel your entire trip at least 48 hours before your departure date for a reason that is normally not covered.

This is important: The CFAR only gives you coverage if you are cancelling your trip at least 48 hours before your departure date. You are not covered for anything else that is related to the 2019-nCoV. This means no medical, no medical transportation, trip delay or any other other non-trip cancellation benefits.

I hope this makes better sense.

Steve Dasseos

So if I cruise to the Caribbean tomorrow and I get a bad case of the flu (which I'd assume is considered and epidemic) and I see the Dr onboard I'd have no medical or evacuation coverage?   This topic is illuminating. 

I've been using Travel Insured CFAR coverage for a few years I we have elderly parents we are responsible for and might have to cancel due to availability of home care providers.

29 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

So if I cruise to the Caribbean tomorrow and I get a bad case of the flu (which I'd assume is considered and epidemic) and I see the Dr onboard I'd have no medical or evacuation coverage?   This topic is illuminating. 

I've been using Travel Insured CFAR coverage for a few years I we have elderly parents we are responsible for and might have to cancel due to availability of home care providers.

I do not believe that the flu is considered an epidemic, currently.

In health and bon voyage

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Hi wrk2cruise,

Don't assume a bad case of the flu is the same as the Coronavirus. They are very different from each other.

If you are leaving tomorrow you probably would have bought your policy prior to Jan 21, 2020. If so, this means that if you contract the Coronavirus on your trip and you see a doctor, you will be covered by any benefit you need to use that is a result of your treatment.

Next, are you asking about how the CFAR coverage works if you have to cancel due to availability of home care providers?

Steve Dasseos

18 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Next, are you asking about how the CFAR coverage works if you have to cancel due to availability of home care providers?

No.  I assumed I could just say I wasn't going to take the trip as long as I did it more than 24 hrs prior to the start of the trip.

9 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

No.  I assumed I could just say I wasn't going to take the trip as long as I did it more than 24 hrs prior to the start of the trip.

Double check but I believe Travel Insured requires you to cancel at minimum 48 hours prior to trip departure for CFAR purposes.

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Royal's CFAR policy gives you up to time of departure to cancel

Good point, but I think this is an 'apple's to oranges' comparison. The third party policies being discussed here provide a cash refund when you Cancel For Any Reason. Royal, like many other lines gives you a 75% cruise credit that expires in a year. Plus Royal does not give you anywhere near the medical and evacuation benefits of other policies.  For some people the extra time to cancel may be a big advantage. For others, the difference in benefits may be a dealbreaker.

5 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Good point, but I think this is an 'apple's to oranges' comparison. The third party policies being discussed here provide a cash refund when you Cancel For Any Reason. Royal, like many other lines gives you a 75% cruise credit that expires in a year. Plus Royal does not give you anywhere near the medical and evacuation benefits of other policies.  For some people the extra time to cancel may be a big advantage. For others, the difference in benefits may be a dealbreaker.

Hi Jersey42,

That's a good explanation.

In addition, the cruise credits are not insurable when you use them for the second trip, so don’t cancel that second trip or else you will lose all their value.

Steve Dasseos

On 2/4/2020 at 2:34 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

If you cancel your trip for a not covered reason, you will be reimbursed for your loss up to the plan's Cancel For Any Reason limit which is commonly 75% of the money you lose when you cancel.

Hi @ iamtrustworthy

Is there any policy that pays 100% on Cancel for Any Reason, if you cancel your trip for a non covered reason?

Thank you 

On 2/15/2020 at 9:27 PM, greatestvalue said:

Hi @ iamtrustworthy

Is there any policy that pays 100% on Cancel for Any Reason, if you cancel your trip for a non covered reason?

Thank you 

Hi greatest value,

There aren't any trip cancellation travel insurance plans that pay 100% on Cancel for Any Reason.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi greatest value,

There aren't any trip cancellation travel insurance plans that pay 100% on Cancel for Any Reason.

Steve Dasseos

Now I’m uncomfortable.

Princess offers their Platinum which does offer 100% for their CFAR. Elites are upgraded to the Platinum policy if they purchase the regular policy from Princess.

13 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Now I’m uncomfortable.

Princess offers their Platinum which does offer 100% for their CFAR. Elites are upgraded to the Platinum policy if they purchase the regular policy from Princess.

Hi klfrodo,

When I gave my answer, I was referring to a trip cancellation travel insurance plan. Technically, the Princess plan is a pre-departure waiver plan that is mostly a promise to pay with elements of insurance in it.

A trip cancellation travel insurance plan reimburses in cash, while the Platuinum plan may not always reimburse in cash. It might issue a cruise credit.

I hope this makes better sense.

Steve Dasseos

For those people who still want to go on their cruise, but is still within the window of opportunity to cancel, (ie… more than 90 days out),  why not just cancel your reservation, but in the back of your mind, know that if you change your mind, there will still be room on the ship?  This is because there are not a lot of people making cruise reservations right now.  It is highly likely that your exact same cabin will still be available months from now.  (Unless you have a nice one, such as a suite, and somebody gets upgraded to it.  Even so, there would be other cabins available, including on sailings that are currently sold out. I'd  be willing to bet my house that in the foreseeable future, great sales with MAJOR discounts will be had on all sailings, everywhere.  I wouldn't be surprised if by next year, there are many ships idle and anchored.  

Edited by Caribbean Allan
grammer correction