Azamara gluten free

earn

Oh dear, sorry to hear that.

The trend of saying you can’t have things when it’s just staff not checking is getting worrying. As I posted we noticed it on our last cruises.  And possibly over worked not wanting to give out dessert information/not wanting to make basic ravioli by hand.   From your description it sounds like it’s gone downhill in its special meals provision which is very disappointing to us as well. But if it happens to us if we are back on Azamara again, we’d be asking to see the Food and Beverage manager pretty quickly. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, earn said:

So, having started this post, I thought I would add some comments now that I have returned from my cruise.

This was our first Azamara cruise but we have cruise on other lines many times.  I found Azamara’s gluten free provision to be below average and I suppose that was really disappointing, as I was expecting it to be above average.   Staff were fabulous and tried to help.  Here is my summary

Bread was the absolute worst I’ve ever eaten.

Bagels were ok if they toasted both sides but mostly they just toasted the inside.

Bagels ran out day 7 of a 12 night cruise and never replenished

Bought in muffins at breakfast were dry and tasted poor quality, same for cookies.  The bread I was offered in Prime C and Aqualina was the same as Windows.  On that note there were not any really appealing gf starters or desserts in the speciality restaurants.  Aqualina seemingly makes fresh gf pasta but when I asked for the ravioli 24 hrs in advance they couldn’t make it for me as the ravioli machine is not dedicated to gf .  I think even I could have improvised and made one ravioli by hand but that was not possible.   I spent half of the cruise not eating any salad dressing as I was told none were gf.  Discovered later that in fact they all are.  Same with nachos in the patio.  Told I couldn’t ever have the fries or nachos as they were fried in same oil as onion rings.  Eventually found out from chef on second last day that they always fry nachos in fresh oil.  Most days at the buffet they did have quinoa pasta gf, so that was a positive.  Also every night we were given chocolates of some description in the room.  I never ate them until the steward eventually told me that he had been getting gluten free ones for me, which was lovely.  However be very vigilant, as one night I thought they looked like cake and checked, to find out he had got them mixed up.

I could go on.  Food not labelled correctly, two days when all three main dishes in Windows contained gluten.   Dreadful deserts in main dining room.   Choosing dinner the night before is standard but they never knew what the two chefs specials would be the next day and wouldn’t let me see the desert menu, I just got what they decided.

So, great cruise, great ship but probably my a lot of improvment needed in the gf department,

So sorry to hear about your experience.  It certainly wasn't anything like what I have ever experienced  on the Quest over the last several years.  It gives me great concern now as to what I might be faced with on the next five cruises I have booked with Azamara, since none of them are on the Quest.  I certainly hope your experience isn't a sign of the way Azamara now handles gluten-free and allergies.  I must also say I agree that the pre-made breads are absolutely awful, as is their pre-made pancake mix ( But the chefs often made special breads for me, and they were for the most part, delicious.)  At any rate, thanks for sharing your experience .  I will be ever more vigilant and cautious now, and really communicate with the staff on this daily, if necessary.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 12:15 AM, earn said:

I could go on.  Food not labelled correctly, two days when all three main dishes in Windows contained gluten.   Dreadful deserts in main dining room.   Choosing dinner the night before is standard but they never knew what the two chefs specials would be the next day and wouldn’t let me see the desert menu, I just got what they decided.

So, great cruise, great ship but probably my a lot of improvment needed in the gf department,

Although I am vegetarian not gf, I would agree about food, as per my comments,  I did not like their attitude and everything to me seemed bought in,  a real shame as they do much really well, food however is not one of them and I think for the premium price one pays it should be better,  

• 2 years later...

Well it has been a while but we are eventually back sailing and assuming Covid tests are negative will be boarding Quest in just over a week.  My gluten free food on Pursuit was not great and I was wondering if anyone can share any more recent experiences.  Hopefully gf beer is now on the standard drinks list 😀

15 hours ago, earn said:

Well it has been a while but we are eventually back sailing and assuming Covid tests are negative will be boarding Quest in just over a week.  My gluten free food on Pursuit was not great and I was wondering if anyone can share any more recent experiences.  Hopefully gf beer is now on the standard drinks list 😀

I would suggest three things, firstly ask to meet with the Executive Chef at the outset and set out your expectations both in terms of the food being gluten free but also ask him what variety he can add to your experience.  I did notice a lot more labelling of items on the buffet which may also help you and with staff serving the buffet still you can keep a close watch on them re cross contamination.  There were no problems in that connection last month.

I would also seek out the bar manager Day 1 - he should know what beers are hidden in the stores even if not on general offer and I really hope he has one that works for you.  The trouble is the published lists and what is onboard still does not match up.

Finally and almost most important, we found the dining room staff far less attentive and far too flippant about food intolerances.  We did give them "robust feedback" about what happened twice and the hotel director was aware so I hope they are alert.  However, whereas two years ago you could rely on staff to remember (even between courses!!) you could not last month so my second suggestion is be like a broken record.- is this gluten free.  Mistakes were being made and the nut free item sorted out pre service was given to me and not DH one night and on two other nights they brought him up dishes with nuts.  Everyone was blaming everyone else in the wait team for doing it, for us we were just saying we do not care, please keep him safe by getting it right.

Hope you have a really good cruise and that you can eat and drink all you want.  Fingers crossed for your negative tests.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 3:11 PM, uktog said:

I would suggest three things, firstly ask to meet with the Executive Chef at the outset and set out your expectations both in terms of the food being gluten free but also ask him what variety he can add to your experience.  I did notice a lot more labelling of items on the buffet which may also help you and with staff serving the buffet still you can keep a close watch on them re cross contamination.  There were no problems in that connection last month.

I would also seek out the bar manager Day 1 - he should know what beers are hidden in the stores even if not on general offer and I really hope he has one that works for you.  The trouble is the published lists and what is onboard still does not match up.

Finally and almost most important, we found the dining room staff far less attentive and far too flippant about food intolerances.  We did give them "robust feedback" about what happened twice and the hotel director was aware so I hope they are alert.  However, whereas two years ago you could rely on staff to remember (even between courses!!) you could not last month so my second suggestion is be like a broken record.- is this gluten free.  Mistakes were being made and the nut free item sorted out pre service was given to me and not DH one night and on two other nights they brought him up dishes with nuts.  Everyone was blaming everyone else in the wait team for doing it, for us we were just saying we do not care, please keep him safe by getting it right.

Hope you have a really good cruise and that you can eat and drink all you want.  Fingers crossed for your negative tests.

Thank you for the advice.  Not great to hear MDR not on the ball, as that is usually the safest place but very good to get the heads up.  Hope your husband was ok.  Our. Experience on other cruise lines has always been great.  Anthem last September was fabulous, due to an excellent head chef in Windjammer, who was also head chef at Coastal Kitchen and Jamie’s.  Made such a difference.  Pancakes made from scratch rather than the horrible mix was great 😀

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 4:43 AM, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

We're booked on the Azamara for the first time and are going on the Journey this summer. As I have celiac disease I would like to know if Azamara offer gluten free pizza and burger bread ? 

Any answers appreciated 😊

In the past Azamara has been excellent at catering for various dietary requirements.

Just let them know either before boarding or soon after boarding and you will be well looked after.

At least I hope it is as it was pre-covid!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 11:43 AM, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

We're booked on the Azamara for the first time and are going on the Journey this summer. As I have celiac disease I would like to know if Azamara offer gluten free pizza and burger bread ? 

Any answers appreciated 😊

I am celiac  and have sailed with Azamara since 2008. Azamara does try to cater to gluten-free diets.  They have gluten-free burger buns, but I did not see any gluten free pizza.  They offer a store-bought gluten free bread and bun that is horrible.  But you can ask the chef to make  fresh gluten free bread, and it's delicious.At special buffets their selection of gluten-free items is somewhat limited.  You also need to ask about every soup--some are not gluten free, but you need to ask each time.  If you have any food sensitivities along with the Celiac, it becomes more difficult.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 5:20 PM, travelinjudy said:

I am celiac  and have sailed with Azamara since 2008. Azamara does try to cater to gluten-free diets.  They have gluten-free burger buns, but I did not see any gluten free pizza.  They offer a store-bought gluten free bread and bun that is horrible.  But you can ask the chef to make  fresh gluten free bread, and it's delicious.At special buffets their selection of gluten-free items is somewhat limited.  You also need to ask about every soup--some are not gluten free, but you need to ask each time.  If you have any food sensitivities along with the Celiac, it becomes more difficult.

Thank you very much for your information,  very helpful 👍 The special needs department have assured me that there are gluten free food in all restaurants and the buffet onboard. According to the email I got they also have dedicated gluten free dishes in the MDR. So it will be interesting to experience the Azamara gluten free food 🙂

2 hours ago, azalice said:

I emailed their Special Needs dept.(whatever they called it)  weeks ago, but never heard back.

I received an automated confirmation that they received my email within minutes, and a reply almost a month later, a few days after the "30-day before sail date" cut off date for submitting requests. 

When is your sail date?

12 minutes ago, azalice said:

I sent another email and got their automated reply. So I guess I have now notified them.

I’ve never had any problems on Azamara Quest. And yes, I did send the pre cruise email.  Met with the Chef onboard. I also ordered dinner the night before from next day’s menu. Already printed, and with the Chef’s specials included. Even if not G/F on the menu, most meals could be made G/F with notice. 

I try not to eat bread (purely for my waistline), so at The Patio would have the burger patty without the bun. Windows also would even make pasta for me. I skipped the Belgium waffles after my first ones as they were not fully cooked and a bit doughy. That might be normal as far as I know. I like the thin waffles. Breakfast in Windows was easy.  Staff were always helpful and ready to check with the chef. 

If things have changed since my last AZ cruise, I will speak to the F&B manager again. No one should just grumble and post bad reviews; you should always speak to management.

• Like 5

On 2/29/2020 at 8:55 AM, spiritoftravel said:

Yes three times and they said just see the manager of restaurant to sort it. I am vegetarian and do not eat whole eggs I am allergic to mushrooms. The veggie food is the worse I have ever had on any cruise or on land, the one different thing they had on one night in the mexican was full of mushrooms and they told me they could not make anything else.

The hardest allergy I’ve seen most of the RCL brands deal with is green peppers!  Or really any bell peppers.  They turn up in all of the salads and have even been seen as decorations on fish and mashed potatoes!  

i have an allergy to refined sugar that we haven’t been able to totally define.  The reaction is simply me braking out in blotches.  On a celebrity cruise my husband came in after I’d order and asked me what I was drinking, Diet Coke.  He then asked if it was in a can and I told him no why, he then told me I was breaking out it wasn’t diet.  After than  I was always given the can and it was poured at the table. We still have to be vigilant, unfortunately.

i worked with people with nut allergies before it was well known.  Even when asked they didn’t always get the right answer from a regular restaurant!  

I’ve now learned most of the menus and know what has to be modified.  And, the waitstaff is always attentive to making sure I don’t order something that may have changed.  But, I consider myself lucky as my allergy is more annoying for several hours rather than life threatening.  For what it is worth, my stepmom is a celiac patient, there a lot of things to learn that the wait staff can’t keep up with so the maitre’d must bring the chef to work out the details. 

Silly fact: most mayonnaise has sugar in it!  

On 7/7/2022 at 10:21 PM, azalice said:

I emailed their Special Needs dept.(whatever they called it)  weeks ago, but never heard back. I may have to just tell them onboard that I eat gluten free.

That's what I did too, took some weeks before they replied and here is the answer I got :

Thank you for contacting the Access Department.

Allergies are handled daily on all sailings. We have advised our ship staff of your dietary/allergy needs.

Our galley has a separate preparation area away from the main production area to prepare meals for guests with allergies and to avoid cross-contamination of the meals.  Our Food and Beverage Staff attend recurring training programs regarding allergy protocols.

We are pleased to advise you that Azamara Cruises offers Gluten Free meals as a standard offering on our menus in the main dining room.

When you eat in the buffet, please ask for a manager so they can arrange to get a meal from the galley. This will avoid any cross contamination that may occur at the buffet. 

When eating in specialty restaurants or other food venues, it is important to advise our staff of the allergies.

On 7/9/2022 at 5:24 AM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I have an allergy to refined sugar that we haven’t been able to totally define.  The reaction is simply me braking out in blotches.  On a celebrity cruise my husband came in after I’d order and asked me what I was drinking, Diet Coke.  He then asked if it was in a can and I told him no why, he then told me I was breaking out it wasn’t diet.  After than  I was always given the can and it was poured at the table. We still have to be vigilant, unfortunately.

Silly fact: most mayonnaise has sugar in it!  

One of my pet peeves is that most processed/prepared foods seem to have sugar in them. So unnecessary!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lisiamc said:

One of my pet peeves is that most processed/prepared foods seem to have sugar in them. So unnecessary!

When they removed fat they added more sugar.  Sugar like salt is often used as a preservative too.  

Tomatoes have changed to have less acidity but sugar is still added to try to lower it anyway.  Corn soup can be naturally sweet and yet most recipes add sugar too!  But, yes, I agree much of this is nonsensical.  And the only thing Im sure needs sugar is rutabaga although I’m not sure who first thought to try it.  Then there is the evaporated cane syrup, l, some is beet sugar, but still.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

…. And the only thing Im sure needs sugar is rutabaga although I’m not sure who first thought to try it.

I had to Google rutabaga only to find that it’s the humble turnip.  It’s a popular veg here in Ireland and we’d never add sugar to it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I had to Google rutabaga only to find that it’s the humble turnip.  It’s a popular veg here in Ireland and we’d never add sugar to it. 

sorry, autocorrect helped  messed up by bad spelling of rhubarb!  I agreed we use rutabaga in soup not pies!  

And, thanks.  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

• 1 month later...

I've just returned home from the Azamara Journey and I'm happy to report that Azamara really offers great gluten free food onboard. They had several gluten free options every evening in the Discoveries Restaurant , both starters, mains and desserts. Plenty of options and no need to preorder meals the evening before. The menus are clearly marked with food allergies. The buffet was excellent and had gluten free pizza as well. Dedicated gluten free bread corner for breakfast. The  Patio had delicious gluten free burger buns. 

Gluten free bread was available in the MDR, Buffet and roomservice. The Mosaic Café had also gluten free snacks. The crew and staff happily answered any food question and their knowledge was in general very good. 

So, I had a wonderful gluten free cruise experience onboard Azamara and it was totally stress free . Vacation at it's best 👌 

20220816_140156.jpg

20220817_062937.jpg

20220815_131911.jpg

20220813_223102.jpg

• Like 5