Azamara gluten free

Oh dear, sorry to hear that.

The trend of saying you can’t have things when it’s just staff not checking is getting worrying. As I posted we noticed it on our last cruises.  And possibly over worked not wanting to give out dessert information/not wanting to make basic ravioli by hand.   From your description it sounds like it’s gone downhill in its special meals provision which is very disappointing to us as well. But if it happens to us if we are back on Azamara again, we’d be asking to see the Food and Beverage manager pretty quickly. 

Edited by uktog
12 hours ago, earn said:

So, having started this post, I thought I would add some comments now that I have returned from my cruise.

This was our first Azamara cruise but we have cruise on other lines many times.  I found Azamara’s gluten free provision to be below average and I suppose that was really disappointing, as I was expecting it to be above average.   Staff were fabulous and tried to help.  Here is my summary

Bread was the absolute worst I’ve ever eaten.

Bagels were ok if they toasted both sides but mostly they just toasted the inside.

Bagels ran out day 7 of a 12 night cruise and never replenished

Bought in muffins at breakfast were dry and tasted poor quality, same for cookies.  The bread I was offered in Prime C and Aqualina was the same as Windows.  On that note there were not any really appealing gf starters or desserts in the speciality restaurants.  Aqualina seemingly makes fresh gf pasta but when I asked for the ravioli 24 hrs in advance they couldn’t make it for me as the ravioli machine is not dedicated to gf .  I think even I could have improvised and made one ravioli by hand but that was not possible.   I spent half of the cruise not eating any salad dressing as I was told none were gf.  Discovered later that in fact they all are.  Same with nachos in the patio.  Told I couldn’t ever have the fries or nachos as they were fried in same oil as onion rings.  Eventually found out from chef on second last day that they always fry nachos in fresh oil.  Most days at the buffet they did have quinoa pasta gf, so that was a positive.  Also every night we were given chocolates of some description in the room.  I never ate them until the steward eventually told me that he had been getting gluten free ones for me, which was lovely.  However be very vigilant, as one night I thought they looked like cake and checked, to find out he had got them mixed up.

I could go on.  Food not labelled correctly, two days when all three main dishes in Windows contained gluten.   Dreadful deserts in main dining room.   Choosing dinner the night before is standard but they never knew what the two chefs specials would be the next day and wouldn’t let me see the desert menu, I just got what they decided.

So, great cruise, great ship but probably my a lot of improvment needed in the gf department,

So sorry to hear about your experience.  It certainly wasn't anything like what I have ever experienced  on the Quest over the last several years.  It gives me great concern now as to what I might be faced with on the next five cruises I have booked with Azamara, since none of them are on the Quest.  I certainly hope your experience isn't a sign of the way Azamara now handles gluten-free and allergies.  I must also say I agree that the pre-made breads are absolutely awful, as is their pre-made pancake mix ( But the chefs often made special breads for me, and they were for the most part, delicious.)  At any rate, thanks for sharing your experience .  I will be ever more vigilant and cautious now, and really communicate with the staff on this daily, if necessary.

On 3/8/2020 at 12:15 AM, earn said:

I could go on.  Food not labelled correctly, two days when all three main dishes in Windows contained gluten.   Dreadful deserts in main dining room.   Choosing dinner the night before is standard but they never knew what the two chefs specials would be the next day and wouldn’t let me see the desert menu, I just got what they decided.

So, great cruise, great ship but probably my a lot of improvment needed in the gf department,

Although I am vegetarian not gf, I would agree about food, as per my comments,  I did not like their attitude and everything to me seemed bought in,  a real shame as they do much really well, food however is not one of them and I think for the premium price one pays it should be better,