Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anni_M

Dawn mini reviews Jan 22 - Feb 2

I'm finally done unpacking, looking out the window at 6 inches of fresh snow and 11* weather. Last week at this time I was traipsing around Cozumel with my 7 year old, munching on Nachos, buying cheap kahlua, and fending off the locals. (My 7 year old says " what do they think I am mom, a walking dollar bill?" lol)

It was a WONDERFUL trip, and I'll write a thorough review later, but for now will write mini's and highlights if anyone is interested. So I begin with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, our hotel in New York, Embarkation, The Ship, and The Room.

The Good EVERYTHING!! Loved it! Can't wait to go the Eastern route next year!

The Bad the coffee! Ack... It wasn't bad - it was horrendous. Seriously I don't know how they can screw up a simple cup of coffee likethat.

The Ugly the 15 pounds I gained! I even excersized like a maniac! Hopefully much of it was water weight and will come off relatively easy.

Our hotel We arrived a day early (highly recommended) at LaGuardia, and took a $30 -$35 cab ride to The Skyline Hotel - also highly recommended. The hotel is all of 10 minutes (if that) from the pier, and although it's not the Ritz - it's clean, it's convenient, has a nice pool, and was only $180 for 2 adults 2 kids.

Embarkation was a breeze. We arrived at the pier around 11:00 or so - wow - what a nuthouse it was out front! Evidently the ship had arrived late, so those both coming and going were doing so at the same time. (Not used to crowds like that any more since moving here to "hooterville" Ohio!) We were on the ship and searching for food by 1:00.

The Ship is amazing. From the minute you lay eyes on her at the pier, and even more so once you are inside, you cannot help but be completely awe inspired at the beauty of this ship. My personal favorite thing was the ceilings and the palm trees around the pool at night. It's impressive too, how clean it is considoring the thousands and thousands of footsteps that are taken there day after day - not to mention I didn't see a single handprint, noseprint, or any other print on any glass or mirrors anywhere! Took me a while to figure out where I was going all the time- - and as a matter of fact didn't find the Star Bar (where the CC meet and greet was) untill 9 days into the cruise. I did however know the Pearly King Pub by heart - for some reason no matter WHERE I was, or where I was headed, I ended up trotting through there. It was weird. Even my kids were like "oh no! Not the Pearly Pub again!" Finally on one of the last days I actually stopped walking, and grabbed some of the fish and chips. Excellent!

Our room I was somewhat prepared before we arrived. Our last cruise was on Carnival in an outside room around 185 SF. I believe this room was around 160 SF - and BOY did that extra bit make a difference! We booked this cruise late, and I tried for weeks to get an upsell - but the cruise was booked full. At the very least a balcony would have helped matters. Traveling was myself, my husband, and our 2 girls age 7 and 9. Although the room was well appointed, stuffing the 4 of us in there was no picnic, and I didn't have near enough room for our things. Thankfully our room steward Kermie ( who was awesome by the way!) took our luggage to storage. We put our coats in our bags which helped. The little fridge was nice, along with the hot pot thingy so I could make my hot green tea. (which was a life saver considoring the coffee)

Well that's it for this one. Part 2 will include the best part of the cruise - the food! Along with Kids Crew, the Anniversary package, karaoke, and the spa.

Anni

All in all, sounds like you had a wonderful cruise!!

Thanks for the mini-review...I am going on the Dawn March 16th, and I can't wait!!! She is my favorite ship....

You are so right about the coffee...but....believe it or not, Princess had the worst coffee I ever tasted, makes NCL seem like Starbucks!!

And by the way, I AM SURE that the extra weight gained is all water!!! LOL!!!:D

Keep it coming - thank you for posting - I had forgotten that feeling you captured so well from the first time I was on the Dawn. Like you not sure I ever found the Star Bar until late in my first cruise on the Dawn either;)

Gosh Anni, what a joy to read such a nice review !! Thanks. Leaving a week from today on the same cruise. Look forward to your full review :). Before I go .... any really special restaurants you liked and was the fish n chips really really excellent ? !!! :-)

More.....More....More.....you can unpack later! Keep the review coming!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

Kim

Thanks for your mini review. I can't wait for the rest! We will be on the Dawn soon, and will also be four to a cabin, Cat. D. One question, the bed that pulls out from under the other bed; does that pop up to regular height, or does it stay down by the floor, or somewhere in between??? I think I read a review where it said that it was wall to wall bed, but it didn't say if they were all the same height.

Nice review... Glad you had such a great time despite the cramped quarters and your dislike of the coffee.... Great attitude!!!

Anni, Thanks for the mini review.. we are booked on the 2/12.. 4 of us in a inside.. that should be fun huh.. well.. we will make the best of it.. because with an outside as soon as our 7 yr old see the light of day.. we are all up.. LOL not that I mind.. but the dh does a bit..

my opinion.. early bird catches the worm.. but at 5 am the worm isn't even up yet.. Glad you had a wonderful time.. :D

Anni,

Glad you had a great time on the Dawn. We did not find the Star Bar until our 2nd cruise. It was such a nice place to sit and have a quiet drink. We also loved the Martini clinic there. We used the Star Bar in 2005 for our CC meeting and ended up meeting there a few times with our CC friends.

Jeanne

Tinkerbill: The Fish and Chips at Pearly Kings is delicious!!!! I could go for some now!

I loved this ship, this was our 8 cruise. The first on the dawn, and it wont be our last. We had a rough first night, the shipped rocked a little. But my husband who gets seasick took his ginger pills. And never had any problems after that. I am now looking into our next cruise in 2007. I dont know if if will be on the dawn. But that dosent matter anyway we just love cruising.

Had a great time in Belize. Took an hour tour when we got off the ship. We went by horse and buggy. Our tour guide is a pharmacist, cant get a job in that field in belize. His name is Martin, he drives a blue buggy and his horse's name is Marion. We paid $20 for the hour. I think that is the best way to get a feel for the island.

Happy sailing to all,

Marlene

There is something I forgot to mention here, which really should not be missed, and that is getting out on the deck when the ship sails. One of the reasons we chose this cruise was because it sailed out of New York, and I was very excited about sailing past the Statue of Libery, along with the skyline of New York City. This WAY surpassed my expectations, and I swear to you I get teary eyed thinking about this totally moving experience.

My nephew is in the Marines, was stationed in Iraq. He's home now, a newlywed, and next week being shipped to Japan, then back to Iraq. The song is completely over played........Lee *********s "Proud to be an American", but it was played at his wedding. The bridal party, made up of 7 men from his unit all dressed in their dress uniforms dancing was very moving. Not nearly as moving however, as when they played it as we passed the Statue of Liberty at sunset while sailing away on the Dawn.

Bring your binoculars, and bring a hanky.

Anni

Wall to wall bed is a good way to describe the sleeping arrangements lol. It wasn't the greatest - I much prefer the set-up as it was on our last trip.

The 2 beds making the queen are pushed off to one side, with the window as the headboard. The trundle bed pulls out and stays on the floor in the space between the queen bed and the wall. Above the trundle bed another single pulls down from the wall. My 7 year old took the floor bed and loved it . It was her little cave bedroom.

One of the reasons I didn't like it is because we didn't have that extra space to stuff snorkle gear, extra shoes and such under the bed. I could only get the kids 2 carry-ons under there. Oh well. NExt time we sail, it's a penthouse suite for us!

Anni

Thank you Anni!

I loved all of the parts of your review, and appreciate your answering my question. My daughter is looking forward to her cave bed.:eek: :rolleyes:

Thanks for stirring up lovely memories!

By the way, I have it on good authority that cruiseline food is calorie free;).

I recommend all the restaurants! But if I had to say my totally favorite thing (baklava) it was the last poolside bar-b-que, I had grilled chicken, ribs, and that totally delicious pasta. The first meal I cooked when I got home was chicken and ribs, and try as I may - I could not duplicate that pasta.(rats......) Mind you this was no easy feat as I had a foot of snow on my grill!

All the food is so rich, that I think maybe thats why I liked that last one so much - relatively plain compared to all the gourmet fare I had splurged on prior to that.

and did I mention the baklava? (you can get it 2 times - once at the garden buffet, and another time as a dessert served with cinnamon ice cream in the main dining rooms - husband said it was the best dessert of the trip)

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Anni