Jump to content

SAILAWAY INVITE - NOT CONCIERGE CLASS


Recommended Posts

I don’t think the invite is specific to Concierge Class (although that may help). We’ve done 3 helipad sail always and none were in a Concierge cabin.  Think it’s at the discretion of the CC host.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess my point is that, if you don't receive the invitation how do you have the cojones to ask? I realize I'm coming off pretty harshly but I'm sick of "what about me." I don't care what the criteria are, if you didn't get the invite...you're not invited. So, once or twice you met the criteria, great! This time you didn't. Next time, maybe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I guess my point is that, if you don't receive the invitation how do you have the cojones to ask? I realize I'm coming off pretty harshly but I'm sick of "what about me." I don't care what the criteria are, if you didn't get the invite...you're not invited. So, once or twice you met the criteria, great! This time you didn't. Next time, maybe. 

Got your point on your first post.  But thank you for repeating. 

Edited by elaineb
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

I guess my point is that, if you don't receive the invitation how do you have the cojones to ask? I realize I'm coming off pretty harshly but I'm sick of "what about me." I don't care what the criteria are, if you didn't get the invite...you're not invited. So, once or twice you met the criteria, great! This time you didn't. Next time, maybe. 

Exactly! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

EP+ many years and only invited once in CC - leaving Venice on Equinox.  Invited when in a suite.  Not a given in any event...up to the concierge and space.  Last one was really crowded.

 

What is EP+?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am fairly new to Celebrity with just one cruise last year.  I was not sure if only Concierge and above got this invitation, thus the original post.  Obviously from the responses, others with just balconies have on occasion received an invitation.  I am NOT trying to get something I am not entitled to.  If you are offended by this post, move along.

I was just curious as this is my husband and my 45th Anniversary cruise, so anything special is a plus.

 

As for JennyB, thank you for your apology.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, elaineb said:

I am fairly new to Celebrity with just one cruise last year.  I was not sure if only Concierge and above got this invitation, thus the original post.  Obviously from the responses, others with just balconies have on occasion received an invitation.  I am NOT trying to get something I am not entitled to.  If you are offended by this post, move along.

I was just curious as this is my husband and my 45th Anniversary cruise, so anything special is a plus.

 

As for JennyB, thank you for your apology.  

 

Congrats on 45!

 

The helipad is a nice experience, but a nice view from the upper decks or the sunset bar are every bit as good!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

 

Yes, I can attest to this. We did not receive an invite last year on Eclipse in a CC cabin.

 

We were in CC on Silhouette last fall and did not get the invite.  However did see an invite on our noisy neighbors door one afternoon.  Wonder if they got themselves invited or were just the luck of the draw.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first time we got an invitation to a sailaway we were in Aqua. We just happened to be talking with the Captains Club host on embarkation day and out of curiosity asked how people were chosen for an invitation. She told us that they don't have them every cruise and the criteria varied from cruise to cruise, but asked for our cabin number. Several days later we were pleasantly surprised to receive an invitation for a sailaway from Bonaire.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On our 2018 sailing on Silhouette, we watched the sail away from Copenhagen from the rear of the ship, where we were eating a snack as we had just arrived back from an excursion.

On our return to our cabin, we found an invite to the helipad for sail away. Not sure why it was left so late.

4BE047B7-E67D-43BE-AA96-CC914C86A374.jpeg

0C93EA12-F83A-4FD7-9D60-B0E362DDF5E2.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kenevenpar said:

Congrats on 45!

 

The helipad is a nice experience, but a nice view from the upper decks or the sunset bar are every bit as good!


Went to the Heli Pad to see what all the hoopla was about,  and wasn’t impressed.   Crowded and not a good view.   Got invited again and went to see if it was any different.   It wasn’t 

 

Have now been invited almost every time we sail and don’t go.    The view is better from our balcony or a upper deck and easier to get and have a drink we want.  
 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, miched said:

Went to the Heli Pad to see what all the hoopla was about,  and wasn’t impressed.   Crowded and not a good view.   Got invited again and went to see if it was any different.   It wasn’t 

 

Have now been invited almost every time we sail and don’t go.    The view is better from our balcony or a upper deck and easier to get and have a drink we want.

 

We have done a few sail-ins and a few sailaways and have enjoyed them very much. Different strokes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been invited to Heli Pad sail-in on a number of our Celebrity cruises....it may have been because we were in Concierge, as it seems awfully coincidental. Love the sail in party...in Oman, Venice, and Gran Canaria. We have a cruise in May 2020 to Ireland and Iceland and would love if we get invited to the Heli Pad when we get to Reykjavik or Ayukeri. Fingers crossed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First it depends on the port, and the sailing time.  Obviously for a sailing time after dark,  they're not going to do this.

 

The number of ports on an itinerary gives an idea of how many helipad events there can be.  For example a Bermuda Cruise is not going to have the number of opportunities that a 14-night port intensive cruise would. 

 

Then there is the visual aspect.  Ports that stand out in my mind as beautiful, and particularly so from the helipad: Valletta, Lisbon, and Cobh (Ireland).  That being said, as soon as we were away from the dock in Cobh, it got COLD.  I stayed as long as they let us, because the scenery was great, but most did not.  On the other hand, places like Bonaire, aren't really "spectacular" visually during sail-away. 

 

Criteria I've seen used to select passengers for invitations:  Suite Guests, Aqua Guest, Concierge Guests, Back-to-Back Guests, various levels of Captain's Club (from Select on up); first time Celebrity Cruisers, those in a group traveling, and those celebrating a special occasion (wedding, milestone anniversary, etc.).  I've also seen the helipad opened to all for particular spots.  Panama Canal comes to mind, and I've heard of it for Alaskan itineraries as well.

 

As far as the view from the helipad being better, not necessarily; but there's certainly the element of "exclusivity" that appeals tom many.  Those on the helipad like being "included" and those seeing others on the helipad ask "Why not me?"; this is the nature of people.

 

Harris

Denver, CO

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miched said:


Went to the Heli Pad to see what all the hoopla was about,  and wasn’t impressed.   Crowded and not a good view.   Got invited again and went to see if it was any different.   It wasn’t 

 

Have now been invited almost every time we sail and don’t go.    The view is better from our balcony or a upper deck and easier to get and have a drink we want.  
 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 
 

 

I cannot imagine a much better view than this one. No crowding and beautiful unobstructed view.

20171205_142609.thumb.jpg.cf8eaccc38607a0c47720865fdcd3989.jpg20171205_143335.thumb.jpg.e719486dc19fbdde28374120e15cf796.jpg

Edited by Luvcrusn
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...