Are you going straight from JFK to ship - which could be risky? 

Otherwise why not stay a night in Manhattan and then go over to CL the next day? Much nicer than staying in the Newark area IMHO.

I would use Uber.

Edited by little britain
2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

It's over 30 miles from JFK to Cape Liberty.  Plus you will have to pay the $19 Verrazano Bridge toll.

It's over 30 miles but could take 2 hours plus depending on the time of day.  🍷

JFK - Cape Liberty on the Belt Parkway can be as fast as an hour to  an hour and fifteen minutes or three hours depending on traffic and what time you arrive at the pier. Right now per google maps it is 1 hours and 4 minutes  door to door.  A pretty fast time considering that we are in the middle of NY rush hour and there is no ship at the terminal. Your best bet for a fast trip is to try to get to the pier about 10 - 10:30 am, this is when we normally try to get there and it works out well.

Unless you are staying a night in Manhattan ("Take the train to the plane" used to be available, now LIRR and AirTrain) fly into EWR.

I always recommend the night before to be safe unless buying airfare and transfers through cruise line.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

Unless you are staying a night in Manhattan ("Take the train to the plane" used to be available, now LIRR and AirTrain) fly into EWR.

I always recommend the night before to be safe unless buying airfare and transfers through cruise line.

I DEFINITELY agree! And if you see the OP is from the UK. Which brings me to another point. On a recent cruise(Jewel of the Seas Rome to Dubai) I got into a heated discussion with people from the UK about flying into a embarkation a day early. Apparently that's not something that's usually done by UK travelers and I was made to feel like I was crazy for waiting to fly in a day before the cruise started.

It's also apparent that unlike Americans the majority of vacationers from the UK book complete packages with a tour company.

I am not aware of any other form of transportation you can take from JFK to Bayonne (taxi, Uber, private car service).  As referenced by others, if possible, Newark is only 15-20 minutes from the cruise terminal.  JFK will be expensive and time consuming to get to the cruise terminal.  Even when staying in Manhattan, I find Newark a better option than JFK.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I DEFINITELY agree! And if you see the OP is from the UK. Which brings me to another point. On a recent cruise(Jewel of the Seas Rome to Dubai) I got into a heated discussion with people from the UK about flying into a embarkation a day early. Apparently that's not something that's usually done by UK travelers and I was made to feel like I was crazy for waiting to fly in a day before the cruise started.

It's also apparent that unlike Americans the majority of vacationers from the UK book complete packages with a tour company.

I can’t believe that!

Even going from Rome we would fly in a day early from England. 
I admittedly have flown to Barcelona and gone straight to the ship... but only because I knew the next port was a few hours away.

Yes if you book as a package then the onus is on the company to get you to catch up with the ship. 

As it is impossible to fly in from England and make it to the port on the same day so I suspect the OP is flying is from somewhere else in the 🇺🇸.  No reputable UK TA would book a flight landing at JFK on the same day their ship sails from Bayonne!

Perhaps the OP will come back and clarify his routings!

You can take public transportation but it is a long drawn out hassle.

Per the Cape Liberty web site the public transport directions are as follows....

By train:

• Take the PATH Rapid Transit System train from Manhattan to Jersey City or Hoboken.
  • Outside the PATH Station, take the NJ Hudson-Bergen Light Rail train to Bayonne.
  • Get off at the 34th Street Station in Bayonne.
  • You are now directly across Route 440 from the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor, which includes the Cape Liberty Cruise Port.
  • Call one of the three Bayonne taxi cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about two miles east of the Light Rail line.

What the above doesn't tell you is that you have to get from JFK to the PATH station in Penn Station in Manhattan. For that you need to take the JFK Air Train to Jamaica and then transfer to the Long Island Rail Road to get to Penn Station. Google Bayonne Taxi Cab Companies" to get a list of the three cabs mentioned above.