Important - Corona Virus precaution - Medication

ghstudio

While no one knows how the Corona virus will progress, it would be prudent to take enough extra medication/drugs to last at least 14 days after your planned cruise/travel return home....just in case you find yourself in a quarantine situation.  Very unlikely this will happen to you....but it I'd suggest that it's "better safe than sorry".

NOTE: THIS SHOULD BE A STICKY ON ALL CRUISE BOARDS

• Like 10

This is EXCELLENT advice... Diamond Princess is being held in quarantine in Japan.

"About 3,700 people are aboard the cruise ship — 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew — according to the cruise ship company. They will be held in protective quarantine for 10 to 14 days, Kato said at a news conference."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/10-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-cruise-ship-quarantined-japan-n1130296

Edited by MEcruzr

My husband has a heart condition. When we cruise, he always brings his weekly pills in a 7 day pill container and he always brings the rest of his pills - anywhere from 30 - 90 days in the original packaging. He just keeps them in a little bag. He has never needed them but definitely peace of mind.

• Like 1

I would like to make another suggestion. Take enough medication for THREE weeks in case the virus is not found until near the END of the cruise. In that case you would still need days 14 worth. We are sailing in 3 weeks and I am already planning on 3 weeks worth. 

Edited by morfred
mistake
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, morfred said:

I would like to make another suggestion. Take enough medication for THREE weeks in case the virus is not found until near the END of the cruise. In that case you would still need days 14 worth. We are sailing in 3 weeks and I am already planning on 3 weeks worth. 

The original poster suggested taking at least enough for 14 days after your cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

While no one knows how the Corona virus will progress, it would be prudent to take enough extra medication/drugs to last at least 14 days after your planned cruise/travel return home....just in case you find yourself in a quarantine situation.  Very unlikely this will happen to you....but it I'd suggest that it's "better safe than sorry".

NOTE: THIS SHOULD BE A STICKY ON ALL CRUISE BOARDS

Excellent advice! I usually think of everything but this never crossed my mind!

Thanks.

I would tend to believe, to a great degree, that were individuals with 'common' medications which they need and are running out, the ship and the quaranteeing country would make arrangements to get the meds aboard, for sure, as they would not want to compound any other emergency...

In good health and bon voyage

• Like 1

We sail in 3 weeks and will definitely be bringing extra meds.   

I have also read somewhere that they are short on bottles of water.    I always stop on the way back to the room at a few bars to collect water,  and will be doing so even more this trip, just in case.  Better to have a stockpile and not need it,  then to need it and not have it.

I'm sure we will be fine,  but you never know.

26 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I would tend to believe, to a great degree, that were individuals with 'common' medications which they need and are running out, the ship and the quaranteeing country would make arrangements to get the meds aboard, for sure, as they would not want to compound any other emergency...

In good health and bon voyage

Not sure I agree with you on this.  I wouldn't count on any additional medications being available to you if you are quarantined on the ship and the ship carries very few OTC/common medications.  

Aside from the assured confusion, there is no assurance that YOUR medication of choice will be available on the ship or even on shore....and then there's the question of who will purchase it for you?  The other confusing factor is that OTC drugs you know in the US may be named something quite different in Foreign countries...eg. Tylenol doesn't exist in the UK....it's Paracetamol

However, the major concern is for prescription drugs.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

I have a small packing cube that hold all of my meds in their original containers. I always ensure that I have a minimum of an extra week's worth, but increasing that number would definitely be the prudent thing to do.

An interesting related question was raised in one of the other threads: what happens if a further case of coronavirus is detected on board during the 14-day quarantine period? Does the clock re-set for an additional 14 days? You might want to increase your meds by more than 14 days' worth. My meds come in containers that hold up to 100 days' worth, so taking more won't take up any additional space.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Not sure I agree with you on this.  I wouldn't count on any medication being available to you if you are quarantined on the ship and the ship carries very few OTC/common medications. 

Aside from the assured confusion, there is no assurance that YOUR medication of choice will be available on the ship or even on shore....and then there's the question of who will purchase it for you?  The other confusing factor is that OTC drugs you know in the US may be named something quite different in Foreign countries...eg. Tylenol doesn't exist in the UK....it's Paracetamol

However, the major concern is for prescription drugs.

Thanks - precisely it is prescription drugs I Am referring to.

Most American passengers (and others to be sure) who take prescriptions, should have some sort of notation, a copy or photo of the script just in case they are in dire need of these meds in any circumstance outside of their home country.

I would not anticipate that the ships medical facility would have any of them aboard.

Most countries where ships dock, there are pharmacies near by and I Am sure there are protocols for such emergency refills, to some degree, from foreign doctors even if that means calling the prescriber or original issuing pharmacy to get a handle on what would be a good substitute if the original is not available in that pharmacy.

That still does not mean that passengers should not consider the post, for carrying along this amount/quantity, of meds suggested.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

I bring, in duplicate, all the medication I need for the duration of my cruise plus another week or two. I pack one set in my checked bag and one in my carryon bag it tote. Just in case one or the other is lost or delayed. 

• Like 1

omg, my heart is breaking for that man who posted the video.  I'm diabetic too.  On an insulin type injection that can cause low blood sugars without food.   

Btw.  I don't want to get into a debate about food, etc.  However, I NEVER purchase food from myself or my dogs that is grown/made in China.  I used to make a cake that contained canned mandarin oranges and I won't purchase those anymore.  

2 minutes ago, calicakes said:

If I was heading towards an area where I could possibly be quarantined, I'd probably cancel the cruise. 

Unless this virus is contained and contained fast, very soon any area where cruise ships can go will be an area where there is a possibility of getting quarantined.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the 10 people positive for corona on the Diamond Princess were B2B?  I understand patient 0 got off in HK.  Did these 10 contract the virus just by being on the ship he had been on?  Also, what about all the people he had been in contact with on his cruise (the previous one) who also disembarked and flew back to their homes all over?  It's kind of scary thinking of all these things.

I sure feel sorry for that poor diabetic man.  Saw where they sent him and his wife 2 yogurts, 2 orange juice, 2 plates of melon after 18 hrs without food.  Not much for a large man.  Diabetic coma can come on swiftly and it is deadly.

We always bring all our meds on hand in the weekly pill case and the balance in   orig containers, plus a  first aid kit  and OTC meds.

After hearing about  temp food deprivation on the Princess cruise, we will also pack some  healthy snacks, and non spoilable food..just in case.  I am diabetic..type 2 and need to eat in schedule and count carbs carefully.

Prayers for all who are impacted

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you take ANY medication that is critical to your health, I'd never rely on the ship being able to make arrangements to get you extra if the cruise is delayed.    My latest cancer fighting drug cost me a $2800 copay for a one month supply - can't see the cruise line providing that for me if I ran out.   

As an additional suggestion you will want to add sufficient quantities to accomodate any delays in obtaining replacement transportation home as any reservations previously held would have lapsed.

Thanks to OP for making this suggestion

1 hour ago, Kartgv said:

If you take ANY medication that is critical to your health, I'd never rely on the ship being able to make arrangements to get you extra if the cruise is delayed.    My latest cancer fighting drug cost me a $2800 copay for a one month supply - can't see the cruise line providing that for me if I ran out.   

I do not see them doing it either as it is very specialized, to be sure.

YET, I would let them know about these special drugs in advance, just so they know and if necessary get a plan in place for you and any others who might be in the same position.

For health and bon voyage

I will definitely be packing a good amount of necessary prescription medication on my upcoming cruises, regardless of itinerary.  Depending what happens, any of us on any cruise could potentially be quarantined.  I also regularly bring what many would consider a ridiculous amount of OTC meds as well.  I learned my lesson on an Alaska cruise a few years ago - brought some meds as usual but not a wide selection and not big amounts figuring I was sailing in the US so would be able to get what I needed.  Found out otherwise!  We all caught bad colds onboard and when I went on shore to the store in Skagway which served as the drug and grocery store, the shelves were completely emptied of cold meds.  The ship's store also was out of most everything (and had a very small selection anyway).  Not life threatening for sure, but definitely made a difference in our comfort level and enjoyment of the cruise!

20 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I will definitely be packing a good amount of necessary prescription medication on my upcoming cruises, regardless of itinerary.  Depending what happens, any of us on any cruise could potentially be quarantined.  I also regularly bring what many would consider a ridiculous amount of OTC meds as well.  I learned my lesson on an Alaska cruise a few years ago - brought some meds as usual but not a wide selection and not big amounts figuring I was sailing in the US so would be able to get what I needed.  Found out otherwise!  We all caught bad colds onboard and when I went on shore to the store in Skagway which served as the drug and grocery store, the shelves were completely emptied of cold meds.  The ship's store also was out of most everything (and had a very small selection anyway).  Not life threatening for sure, but definitely made a difference in our comfort level and enjoyment of the cruise!

So, you could basically be a contestant on Let's Make a Deal?  LOL.   I always pack cold meds too, part of the reason is I'm too cheap to pay those ridiculous prices they charge on the ship.  

Two of my medications for my auto-immune arthritis comes from a specialty pharmacy.  I'd never be able to find it in on the ship or even a corner type drug store. 

• Like 1

This may not be a time for those who are immune compromised to be traveling.   Cruise ships and planes are a hot bed for transmission of respiratory diseases even in normal times.   As for packing prescription meds, I would never put them in checked baggage.  They are easily pilfered.   

7 hours ago, calicakes said:

omg, my heart is breaking for that man who posted the video.  I'm diabetic too.  On an insulin type injection that can cause low blood sugars without food.   

Btw.  I don't want to get into a debate about food, etc.  However, I NEVER purchase food from myself or my dogs that is grown/made in China.  I used to make a cake that contained canned mandarin oranges and I won't purchase those anymore.  

Mandarin oranges don’t necessarily come from China. We grow them in orchards in Australia.