Packing drone properly

Hi all,

About to sail on the NCL Joy soon and was going to bring my drone on board so that I could get some nice videos and shots during the trip. I am aware of the NCL policy that states no drones, so I am not going to try and circumvent that. But I have read that security will take it away once I get on board but will give it back at each port stop. 

My questions are:

1) How would you suggest I properly pack it? Signs with fragile or right side up or anything else? I know that security takes it, but do they carefully put the case away (tagged so they know it's mine of course) with other items or do they just haphazardly toss it somewhere?

2) On disembarkation on the last day, does anyone know if it's possible to get it the night before so I can properly pack everything away? I need to be one of the first ones off the ship to catch my flight out of LAX.

Thanks in advance!

28 minutes ago, MisterX88 said:

Hi all,

About to sail on the NCL Joy soon and was going to bring my drone on board so that I could get some nice videos and shots during the trip. I am aware of the NCL policy that states no drones, so I am not going to try and circumvent that. But I have read that security will take it away once I get on board but will give it back at each port stop. 

My questions are:

1) How would you suggest I properly pack it? Signs with fragile or right side up or anything else? I know that security takes it, but do they carefully put the case away (tagged so they know it's mine of course) with other items or do they just haphazardly toss it somewhere?

2) On disembarkation on the last day, does anyone know if it's possible to get it the night before so I can properly pack everything away? I need to be one of the first ones off the ship to catch my flight out of LAX.

Thanks in advance!

Just follow  the rules they are  there for a reason. I also saw someone lose their drone as the wind caught it and took it past the limit, he was in an aft cabin as we were.

Security will take it and you may or may not get it back each day. As to how it is stored, it is going to be piled up with all the other prohibited items that they have to old. Best option is to expect damage.

30 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Security will take it and you may or may not get it back each day. As to how it is stored, it is going to be piled up with all the other prohibited items that they have to old. Best option is to expect damage.

Is that what happened to your drone?  Was it damaged badly?

4 hours ago, FranknBeans said:

I also saw someone lose their drone as the wind caught it and took it past the limit, he was in an aft cabin as we were.

Do you mean he was flying it from the aft cabin or just coincidental your were both in aft cabins.

The best advice is to leave the drone at home. You can ask security to support you, but it is not guaranteed. It is a prohibited item and should not be brought to the ship. 

Flying a drone in foreign countries requires you ensure you have the proper approvals and are transmitted over allowed frequencies. If you fly illegally or over restricted areas, they will not confiscate the drone.... they will confiscate you. 

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The best advice is to leave the drone at home. You can ask security to support you, but it is not guaranteed. It is a prohibited item and should not be brought to the ship. 

Flying a drone in foreign countries requires you ensure you have the proper approvals and are transmitted over allowed frequencies. If you fly illegally or over restricted areas, they will not confiscate the drone.... they will confiscate you. 

A part of me is leaning this way. If I knew they could store it properly with other prohibited items to minimize damage, I'd take the chance to bring it along with me and just hope they'd let me off the ship with it. It's in its own case, but the case is also fairly small. I'm waffling on the idea even though I really want to film some great scenery.

It's a DJI Mavic Mini, so it's fairly small and light (under 250g) so there's no need to register it in Mexico where I'll be headed.

Taking it on your cruise vacation may give you more trouble than any scenery footage is worth.

Bird Travels has mentioned that it is a prohibited item on the ship. 

You could check with NCL as to the regulations regarding bringing the drone on the ship. Or, you could leave it at home.

Check with each country before travel to see what is required for drone usage. You don't want to be stuck with a $5k USD fine for illegally using your drone.

Pack it in a hard case, Pelican makes several good ones.

Identify it for security and explain that you will be using it in the different ports. They will store it slightly different so that they can get to it, it will not be considered "contraband" but it will not be treated gently.

I have never had an issue traveling with ship prohibited items that I planned on using ashore, as long as security knows you are working with them they tend not to be jerks about making sure you have your items for shore time.

20 hours ago, DarkJedi said:

Check with each country before travel to see what is required for drone usage. You don't want to be stuck with a $5k USD fine for illegally using your drone.

Pack it in a hard case, Pelican makes several good ones.

Identify it for security and explain that you will be using it in the different ports. They will store it slightly different so that they can get to it, it will not be considered "contraband" but it will not be treated gently.

I have never had an issue traveling with ship prohibited items that I planned on using ashore, as long as security knows you are working with them they tend not to be jerks about making sure you have your items for shore time.

The NCL Joy is sailing the Mexican Riviera (Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan) and the rules are similar to the US. The maps look like it's good to fly close to the areas where the ship docks. My drone is under 250g so no need to register in Mexico or in the US.

23 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Taking it on your cruise vacation may give you more trouble than any scenery footage is worth.

Bird Travels has mentioned that it is a prohibited item on the ship. 

You could check with NCL as to the regulations regarding bringing the drone on the ship. Or, you could leave it at home.

NCL prohibited items

• 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones

Pretty clear. Did you check?  Or just comment? Prohibited items should not be brought to the ship

8 hours ago, MisterX88 said:

The NCL Joy is sailing the Mexican Riviera (Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan) and the rules are similar to the US. The maps look like it's good to fly close to the areas where the ship docks. My drone is under 250g so no need to register in Mexico or in the US.

Just a side note because of all the people discussing that you should not bring it because it is a prohibited item on the ship: so are dive knives, spearguns, and firearms, all of which I have brought on to cruise ships and left with security until I requested them for different ports. To say nothing of alcohol, scented candles, and power strips, which are often smuggled on to cruise ships.

Just because you can't have it on the ship, does not mean that you can not have it for your vacation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 1:08 PM, MisterX88 said:

Hi all,

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!

Pack it in your checked luggage, when you get off the ship pack it in a small backpack. The issue will be coming back on board the later that day. They might or might not see it when you bag goes thru X-ray. Worse case is they will see it and it will go to the naughty room until the next port. Usually......they will let you take it off at the next port. I've taken my drones on 4 cruises so far. Only had an issue with one, they let me take it off and they return it to them at the end of the day (3 ports). Just remember to take out your SD card before you go back on board the ship. Check the drone laws in the countries your going. If you get some great footage NCL might even ask you if they can use it.....  😉

Edited by Laszlo
7 hours ago, complawyer said:

dont be a chump. ncl clearly indicates drones are on the do not bring aboard list. if you briung it, theyll take it away, and youre outthe drone.

You mean like dive knives, spearguns, and other items that people bring on board and security holds for them to use on port days?

I have even taken firearms on board for use in port, never had an issue with security storing items and giving them to me for use during the cruise. Although I will admit I pre-planned the firearm with the head of security before the cruise so as to avoid any issues on that one, and had to do all the cleaning prior to returning to ship.

2 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

In addition;

Despite enjoying the beautiful footage they make; drone sounds annoy other people enjoying the scene/nature/ship. Something to perhaps consider. :classic_smile:

I'm willing to bet nobody heard or saw my drone and that's the way I try to fly. I was even able to fly on GSC....

Edited by Laszlo