Jump to content

What does everyone do/did for a living


Vampiress88
 Share

Recommended Posts

DH (59) is a house builder but tells everyone he's just a bricklayer, i (54) work part time in logistics and a pig farmer the rest of the time. After over 8yrs of trying finally got DH on 2 cruises last year which he admitted begrudgingly that he loved going on. We met a lot of nice people similar to ourselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

DH (59) is a house builder but tells everyone he's just a bricklayer, i (54) work part time in logistics and a pig farmer the rest of the time. After over 8yrs of trying finally got DH on 2 cruises last year which he admitted begrudgingly that he loved going on. We met a lot of nice people similar to ourselves. 

Hope he doesn't get his wires crossed and tells everyone he builds pigstys,lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2020 at 7:11 AM, brian1 said:

Gas fitter/plumber/heating engineer from 1968-2013 when I retired aged 60.Born upper class cos we lived on the 20th floor in a council flat when I was a baby.

 

Wow!  Did you know Rodney and Del?  Were you in Peckham?

Interested Yank here.  Is it Ok for me to post?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 1980dory said:

 

Wow!  Did you know Rodney and Del?  Were you in Peckham?

Interested Yank here.  Is it Ok for me to post?

LOL,no worries.Peckham is in South East London,I'm from East London.Loads of Delboy characters from there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

LOL,no worries.Peckham is in South East London,I'm from East London.Loads of Delboy characters from there.

 

I'm so impressed!  Did you by chance know Hyacinth and Richard?  I must admit though that Onslow was my real hero.  Such brilliance!

I am a tremendous fan of British Comedy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

 

I'm so impressed!  Did you by chance know Hyacinth and Richard?  I must admit though that Onslow was my real hero.  Such brilliance!

I am a tremendous fan of British Comedy.

Funny you should say that.Being a plumber my nickname in the pub was Brian the bucket.When my Mrs came in, my mates called her Mrs Bucket.Before you ask ,no I don't know the Queen.A Yank asked me that once when I said I came from London,lol.

Edited by brian1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Funny you should say that.Being a plumber my nickname in the pub was bucket.When my Mrs came in, my mates called her Mrs Bucket.

 

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Funny you should say that.Being a plumber my nickname in the pub was bucket.When my Mrs came in, my mates called her Mrs Bucket.

 

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Funny you should say that.Being a plumber my nickname in the pub was bucket.When my Mrs came in, my mates called her Mrs Bucket.

 

Isn't that supposed to be, BooKay?

FWIW: I have discovered your wonderful tea here in the US.  Builders Tea is a fine cuppa!  Since you're a plumber, is that your choice too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

 

 

 

Isn't that supposed to be, BooKay?

FWIW: I have discovered your wonderful tea here in the US.  Builders Tea is a fine cuppa!  Since you're a plumber, is that your choice too?

Not that fussy,working in up to 10 houses a day I used to get a variation.Some went down the sink when the lady wasn't looking. Most unusual one was the Indian tea boiled up with condensed milk and cinnamon.An acquired taste.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, brian1 said:

Not that fussy,working in up to 10 houses a day I used to get a variation.Some went down the sink when the lady wasn't looking. Most unusual one was the Indian tea boiled up with condensed milk and cinnamon.An acquired taste.

Really have enjoyed the visit with you Brian, but I think we have wandered off the original OP's post.

Technically that is a no-no.  Hope to meet you someday.  Cheers!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2020 at 11:58 PM, brian1 said:

Funny you should say that.Being a plumber my nickname in the pub was Brian the bucket.When my Mrs came in, my mates called her Mrs Bucket.Before you ask ,no I don't know the Queen.A Yank asked me that once when I said I came from London,lol.

LOL, I have met several Queens and a quite a few queens over my life so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2020 at 12:11 AM, brian1 said:

Not that fussy,working in up to 10 houses a day I used to get a variation.Some went down the sink when the lady wasn't looking. Most unusual one was the Indian tea boiled up with condensed milk and cinnamon.An acquired taste.

Chai latte?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

LOL, I have met several Queens and a quite a few queens over my life so far.

Mic,

You've also met my Queen and didn't know it.  In addition to visiting here on CC, we met face to face on a cruise out of Venice.  We were at someone's personal reception in their mega suite penthouse.  As I recall the hosts were heavily into bird watching.

Nonetheless, my wife is an apiarist and is the President (Queen) of our local beekeeping club.  I'm sure I introduced her on our cruise.  She may be insignificant to others in the world but she is indeed my Queen.

Cheers!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Mic,

You've also met my Queen and didn't know it.  In addition to visiting here on CC, we met face to face on a cruise out of Venice.  We were at someone's personal reception in their mega suite penthouse.  As I recall the hosts were heavily into bird watching.

Nonetheless, my wife is an apiarist and is the President (Queen) of our local beekeeping club.  I'm sure I introduced her on our cruise.  She may be insignificant to others in the world but she is indeed my Queen.

Cheers!

There you go, was that on the Connie?

That means I have seen more queens than a good poker hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

Not too sure a lot af them went down the sink as well,lol.West Indians make a similar one also.

Back when I was in the trade, I had one person make a coffee for me from a bucket of water in the back yard, rainwater may have been fine but I had seen the mozzies floating in it and also the dog drinking from it.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a Brewer in a regional microbrewery. I love my job. It's a lot of hard work, but we have fun. Most of my day is pumping cleaning chemicals around, moving bags of malt, or pumping boiling liquids around. Lots of cleaning and detail work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nastard said:

I'm a Brewer in a regional microbrewery. I love my job. It's a lot of hard work, but we have fun. Most of my day is pumping cleaning chemicals around, moving bags of malt, or pumping boiling liquids around. Lots of cleaning and detail work.

Do they use MicCanberra's rainwater to brew the beer?  Or is that info part of the secret recipe?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I started working in banking 6 weeks after finishing my A-levels. Some of my friends were really put-out that I wouldn't be hanging out with them, playing or watching cricket etc in August before they went off to uni.

I was made redundant in Sept 2018 mainly due to the company cutting costs for Brexit preparations. Years ago we were bumped off the final salary pension scheme so I have a pretty lousy "career average" pension to look forward to. Also prior to being made redundant they changed the internal rules and introduced a 20 year maximum payout (when I was expecting a nice 34 year settlement). 

Since then I've not been able to find another job. I'm either over qualified, too old or don't have the right connections (I am reliably informed that 90% of positions are filled these days by someone who knows someone).

In the last few weeks our garden fence blew down and a pigeon fell down the chimney requiring an expensive gas engineer call-out to disconnect the gas fire and get it out.

Our neighbour is convinced I've broken a mirror / walked under a ladder / had a black cat cross my path / knocked over the salt shaker....!  :classic_laugh:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I started working in banking 6 weeks after finishing my A-levels. Some of my friends were really put-out that I wouldn't be hanging out with them, playing or watching cricket etc in August before they went off to uni.

I was made redundant in Sept 2018 mainly due to the company cutting costs for Brexit preparations. Years ago we were bumped off the final salary pension scheme so I have a pretty lousy "career average" pension to look forward to. Also prior to being made redundant they changed the internal rules and introduced a 20 year maximum payout (when I was expecting a nice 34 year settlement). 

Since then I've not been able to find another job. I'm either over qualified, too old or don't have the right connections (I am reliably informed that 90% of positions are filled these days by someone who knows someone).

In the last few weeks our garden fence blew down and a pigeon fell down the chimney requiring an expensive gas engineer call-out to disconnect the gas fire and get it out.

Our neighbour is convinced I've broken a mirror / walked under a ladder / had a black cat cross my path / knocked over the salt shaker....!  

 

 I hope that's the last of your bad luck. Fingers crossed. I'm not superstitious at all. 😉

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My husband was a carpenter /joiner and still keeps his hand in at home. I worked for a very well-known stationers and newsagents. Interestingly enough, when I was younger I did a year working for Slazengers. I covered tennis balls. You can just imagine some of the rude comebacks I got when I was asked what my job was😊

Avril

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...