Cruise Critic Community
Vampiress88

What does everyone do/did for a living

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

My husband was a carpenter /joiner and still keeps his hand in at home. I worked for a very well-known stationers and newsagents. Interestingly enough, when I was younger I did a year working for Slazengers. I covered tennis balls. You can just imagine some of the rude comebacks I got when I was asked what my job was😊

Avril

How interesting!  Did you just put the fuzz on them or did you also handle, inspect and package them?

Edited by 1980dory
clarify text

5 hours ago, 1980dory said:

How interesting!  Did you just put the fuzz on them or did you also handle, inspect and package them?

Sounds like a  good job for the hands.

12 hours ago, 1980dory said:

No, I just gripped them firmly in my right hand and with the  little tool  in the other hand made sure they were tightly covered with the material😉 Others had the pleasure of handling and inspecting. Mustn't get greedy. Share the fun.😂😂

Avril 

My eyes are watering for some unknown reason.

28 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I can't imagine why. Too much coke, I think that's the right  spelling 😉, in the voddy may be.

Avril 

30 minutes ago, brian1 said:

What is it?  Envy?   Desire ?  Appreciation?  Allergies?  Peeling onions?

Perhaps the manufacturer is still taking applications for the position.  Give it a go!

I love finding out about all the different jobs and professions out there.

I use to be a maintenance engineer which was a 40/60 love/hate relationship. I got made redundant as they were getting rid of the maintenance department (ha ha).

best thing that ever happened to me.

currently work as a lead validation engineer, which unless you work in industry in technical role no one knows what it is 🙂

Really hard to explain to non-industry folks I find.

Anyway it funds my addiction to cruising, I just hope it won't be too long before we can cruise again.

On 3/23/2020 at 12:44 AM, kerryincork said:

Anyway it funds my addiction to cruising, I just hope it won't be too long before we can cruise again.

Hopefully only a few months, most likely another 6 months.

Hi MicCanberra, how are things out there? We've  now gone into lock down but tbh I'm glad as we have been staying in anyway. My thoughts are lets just get on with this and hopefully get back to normal as soon as poss.

Good luck to you and keep well!

After 40 or so years in financial services, I'm now a field researcher for one of the world's biggest opinion research companies. Currently furloughed as most of the work is face to face.

DW is a support officer for the largest social housing company in the region. She's working from home, and had commandeered the dining room table.

We've had a family death due to Covid-19 - DWs 52 year old cousin.

We are also in the midst of selling our house. With impeccable timing, we accepted an offer two days before Boris announced the lockdown, so are trying to do everything by email!

On 3/24/2020 at 9:07 PM, dronnygirl said:

Hi MicCanberra, how are things out there? We've  now gone into lock down but tbh I'm glad as we have been staying in anyway. My thoughts are lets just get on with this and hopefully get back to normal as soon as poss.

Good luck to you and keep well!

Things are not so bad, we have to isolate and stay home, and I finally got to work from home,  apart from not being able to see my Son and Granddaughter. Had more trips canned, looks like my November cruise will be the next one to be canned.

I'm the Security Manager for the BBC in Cardiff, so still working but on reduced shift pattern. My wife is a nurse and still working full time as you can imagine...

13 minutes ago, newport dave said:

I'm the Security Manager for the BBC in Cardiff, so still working but on reduced shift pattern. My wife is a nurse and still working full time as you can imagine...

All credit to both of you for crucially important jobs.

The NHS has responded fantastically well to this crisis, but I suppose I expected nothing less.

The BBC has also been incredible. Amazed how quickly it changed everything to carry on broadcasting almost as normal.  Clearly a well rehearsed contingency planning process.  If only the government had been as well prepared - it had more than enough warnings.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

All credit to both of you for crucially important jobs.

The NHS has responded fantastically well to this crisis, but I suppose I expected nothing less.

The BBC has also been incredible. Amazed how quickly it changed everything to carry on broadcasting almost as normal.  Clearly a well rehearsed contingency planning process.  If only the government had been as well prepared - it had more than enough warnings.

Thanks, majority of staff are working from home. So it's really quiet at the moment, down from 800 to about 80 staff in work. 

The NHS has coped excellently, even to the point they now have empty wards, so have never actually been overwhelmed like they were in Italy and Spain. 

Edited by newport dave

8 minutes ago, newport dave said:

Thanks, majority of staff are working from home. So it's really quiet at the moment, down from 800 to about 80 staff in work. 

But how incredibly well the BBC has adapted to change since this started - I have nothing but admiration for an organisation so dependent on close working in studios which has managed to maintain more or less the same output with presenters at home under duvets (radio) or in studies etc (television).

Have I Got News and The Mash Report didn't seem quite right in the first AC broadcast but each one gets even better.

Well done the good old BBC!

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

But how incredibly well the BBC has adapted to change since this started - I have nothing but admiration for an organisation so dependent on close working in studios which has managed to maintain more or less the same output with presenters at home under duvets (radio) or in studies etc (television).

Have I Got News and The Mash Report didn't seem quite right in the first AC broadcast but each one gets even better.

Well done the good old BBC!

It's been a whole new way of working on another level never seen before. As you say, they've adapted pretty well and quickly. 

On 4/13/2020 at 4:42 AM, MicCanberra said:

Things are not so bad, we have to isolate and stay home, and I finally got to work from home,  apart from not being able to see my Son and Granddaughter. Had more trips canned, looks like my November cruise will be the next one to be canned.

Mic,

Where are you going in November?  We're on the Infinity on 11-16-20.  I'm optomistic.  I really believe it's going to happen.  We might miss some ports, but I feel certain that it will be a 'go'.

I would sure like to see you again and visit further.  I hope you and the Mrs. are doing well.

57 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

Mic,

Where are you going in November?  We're on the Infinity on 11-16-20.  I'm optomistic.  I really believe it's going to happen.  We might miss some ports, but I feel certain that it will be a 'go'.

I would sure like to see you again and visit further.  I hope you and the Mrs. are doing well.

The November trip is a fly /stay/ cruise package, flies to Bali for 5 nights in a resort before flying on to Singapore, then cruise back to Brisbane on the Radiance of the seas. Cannot see international travel happening by then let alone a cruise, but hey it is still scheduled.

I seem to keep finding myself barging into  threads intended for folks from other countries, Hey Mic fancy seeing you here on the UK pages.

I'm a journeyman joiner, started in the trade in my 20's and have been a journeyman for 32 years. I work for a firm that specializes in cabinets and millwork in high end custom homes.

My wife is a nursing unit assistant at the BC Cancer Agency.

We are hoping that our long planned New Zealand cruise and Australian land trip happen in January/February 2021. We may have to "lift and shift" that until 2022. 

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I seem to keep finding myself barging into  threads intended for folks from other countries, Hey Mic fancy seeing you here on the UK pages.

I'm a journeyman joiner, started in the trade in my 20's and have been a journeyman for 32 years. I work for a firm that specializes in cabinets and millwork in high end custom homes.

My wife is a nursing unit assistant at the BC Cancer Agency.

We are hoping that our long planned New Zealand cruise and Australian land trip happen in January/February 2021. We may have to "lift and shift" that until 2022. 

I get about, and I do like a pub crawl

On 2/5/2020 at 2:21 PM, Vampiress88 said:

Couple of comments on threads over the last week or two especially about class levels on p&o it got me wondering about what everyone does for a living 

so me I’m a part time worker- part time mum I suppose. 
I am probably bottom in class 🤔 maybe middle- is it the amount you earn that determines this? 

I work in a call centre. I’m a sales advisor and I work for a very big well known company. Have been there 11 years now. I’ve done many things in there, sales, piloting new systems, working for a different company under our company umbrella, complaints, fixing system issues and since having the kids back to sales. 

my husband worked for a big British industry for 12 years as an electrical engineer. He is now with a big name brand company,one that everyone one knows the name of but always gets what they actually do completely wrong. He is a maintenance engineer now mainly working with robots. 

I know certain people rave about the newspapers they read etc but we don’t watch the news, we don’t even have live tv, we read bits on the internet and what pops up on social media but nothing else. 

there’s so many assumptions in life about our jobs, hobbies, the books we read, the films we watch etc but I don’t think all these things compute into what we wear or how we have a dinner conversation while we are on a cruise. My husband owns three time’s more trainers than I have shoes but we still try and dress as we should while

on board. 

But it would be very boring if we were all the same! 

Started as a Deck Officer with P&O Cruises, then moved to Canada spending 28 years as Captain on Ro/Pax ferries. Also managed a shipyard for 5 years. DW was Trauma RN at local A&E. Both retired for 7 yrs.