Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
garymfreedman

Bands are your keys

Recommended Posts

that's great! While they're not the first cruise line to use this technology, they will be the first to use it EXCLUSIVELY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting in that the picture shows several colors, so how will they know what color we want. I also see they made it work for gaming, how convenient for us?..Ha, THEM! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if they will have keys available for those that don't want bands. Even Disney has regular keys available, though they tell you not to use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the videos I’ve seen it does not look like the rooms have key holes in the doors so I don’t know what you would do with the key. But maybe someone has seen a better picture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of hotels have card keys that you just tap against the lock, you don't have to insert anything. 

Having said that I like the bands, and if that's actually how they look that's much better than the rubber ones on other lines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohh I like those.  They look like bracelets.  Yes, much better than the rubber band ones.  I wonder if we can choose a color before they mail them out.  😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case this info helps anybody else....

 

I live in Australia and will be travelling around Canada and the US for 9 weeks before boarding the VV cruise at the end of my holiday. 
 

Since I won’t be home in the month before my cruise to receive my band, I live chatted them today.

 

They made a note on my booking for the band NOT to be posted out and said I could pick it up at the port on check-in. Phew! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will drive the status seekers into a frenzy. I’m sure the rockstar suites will have specific band colors. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, perditax said:

This will drive the status seekers into a frenzy. I’m sure the rockstar suites will have specific band colors. 🙂 

You got that right......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting they are mailing them out. Seems an unnecessary waste of money.  I like how Celebrity is doing the boarding now with the keycards waiting at your cabin. Would not be surprised to see Virgin switch to something like that within the first year.  No need to mail them in advance, we can get them at the ship.  Looking forward to seeing how these work out in August when we board.

Edited by creativegenius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I wonder if they will have keys available for those that don't want bands. Even Disney has regular keys available, though they tell you not to use them.

Nope, I just spoke with them about that 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I wonder if they will have keys available for those that don't want bands. Even Disney has regular keys available, though they tell you not to use them.

 

Honestly curious, why would you not want to use them? Wristbands are much more convenient than the cards. Thanks for your thoughts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, creativegenius said:

 

Honestly curious, why would you not want to use them? Wristbands are much more convenient than the cards. Thanks for your thoughts!

 

Not original commenter, but some people are very picky about stuff they wear on their bodies. For example, I'm one of the lanyard haters. Sometimes it can be for fashion reasons, I suppose others may have skin/allergy stuff. (For lanyards, I just don't like stuff hanging around my neck, and can only wear very thin/lightweight necklaces.)

 

I'm just guessing though. 

Edited by perditax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess medallion class ships already do this. Our last cruise there were no cards.  We just had the medallions and it was great. They sold lots of accessories so you could choose how to wear it.  I chose a bracelet, there were also necklaces and watch band styles to choose from as well as wearing it in it's case on a lanyard.  I think it's great they're doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

Princess medallion class ships already do this. Our last cruise there were no cards.  We just had the medallions and it was great. They sold lots of accessories so you could choose how to wear it.  I chose a bracelet, there were also necklaces and watch band styles to choose from as well as wearing it in it's case on a lanyard.  I think it's great they're doing this.

That's great! So there was no extra charge for the medallions even on the lowest price inside cabins?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kwokpot said:

That's great! So there was no extra charge for the medallions even on the lowest price inside cabins?
 

No charge for medallions, they were shipped for free.  Only the optional accessories had a charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't wear "bracelets". Only stuff I wear on my arm is my wedding band and a watch. Even last time I was at Disney I had my magic band in a bag and only took out if necessary. A band is not convenient to leave in my pocket, like a flat card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I don't wear "bracelets". Only stuff I wear on my arm is my wedding band and a watch. Even last time I was at Disney I had my magic band in a bag and only took out if necessary. A band is not convenient to leave in my pocket, like a flat card.

 

A watch is just a bracelet with a clock

Edited by hotsauce126

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess that I fall in the camp of "doesn't like the bracelet"... I guess I can just put it in my pocket...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it.  It's not an entirely new concept, but it's a great execution.   I actually have several men's bracelets that have a similar nautical look.  Rope and anchor/hook which I mostly wear on cruises, so this will be similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would be really cooll, would be if they eventually set it up so your iwatch could be your "key". My iphone is already my key in some hotels, why not a cruise ship...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, garymfreedman said:

What would be really cooll, would be if they eventually set it up so your iwatch could be your "key". My iphone is already my key in some hotels, why not a cruise ship...

You can use your smartphone on Celebrity Edge-Class Ships to open your cabin doors.

I have tried using my phone in hotel rooms. Sometimes it works great, sometimes no so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...