UPDATED EMAIL ON CORONAVIRUS

mouche

February 5, 2020

FYI......

Dear Carnival Guest,

We have an additional update to share with you about your upcoming cruise.

Since our communication of yesterday, travel restrictions have expanded beyond residents of or recent visitors to China, and now include Hong Kong and Macau. Please note:  Hong Kong and Macau are not currently subject to a Level 3 CDC travel health alert.  However, an increasing number of countries and local health officials are restricting or denying entry to persons who have traveled from, or through these two locations in the last 14 days prior (including transiting through an airport), particularly if they have symptoms of respiratory illness.  Therefore, we are adopting this same standard and guests who have traveled from or been through China, Hong Kong and Macau in the 14 days prior to their embarkation day, will not be allowed to sail.  

Currently, the Bahamian government has also informed cruise lines that guests who have been to China in the last 20 days before their arrival date in The Bahamas, will not be allowed to disembark in a Bahamian port of call. 

If you have recently visited China, Hong Kong or Macau and are potentially impacted by a travel restriction, please contact us by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL. In the event there are any other changes, we will promptly notify you of any new developments. 

We greatly appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we aim to ensure a safe, fun and memorable cruise.  Our highest responsibilities include the health and safety of our guests and crew.  

We look forward to seeing you aboard.

Yours in health,

grant+CMO+signature.jpg

Dr. Grant Tarling

Chief Medical Officer 

My question is the crew members. With most ships carrying 1k plus members. Some have to be from China. Some of these people are preparing food, if it can actually be transmitted this way. I won't cancel my cruise. It's just something to consider 

18 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Why are they not checking temps like other cruise lines? Do they feel that is not important?

Laura

Some people may have have the flu or pneumonia and not the coronavirus.  Temperature checks would prevent them from sailing.

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

Some people may have have the flu or pneumonia and not the coronavirus.  Temperature checks would prevent them from sailing.

They shouldn’t be sailing either.  If check designed to prevent corononavirus prevents a norovirus outbreak that is a good thing not a bad thing.

• Like 2

they would know if you had been to China. I am sure the manifest is being checked against passports used to enter China in the last few weeks. your name is submitted to homeland security 24 hours before departure. probably have a connection to the State Dept as well that can check. don't think they would leave it up to passengers to admit.

5 hours ago, medi130 said:

My question is the crew members. With most ships carrying 1k plus members. Some have to be from China. Some of these people are preparing food, if it can actually be transmitted this way. I won't cancel my cruise. It's just something to consider 

It dosen't matter if someone is from China, only if they were there recently and may have been exposed.  The incubation period is very short so being there a few months ago isn't a risk for them or anyone else.

Edited by regoodwinjr
Add

I'm curious if someone is prevented from sailing due to this restriction will get a full refund.   

I'd certainly hope so, as I can see the financial aspect as being a huge incentive for someone to try to circumvent this restriction.  (I'm sailing in another week and certainly don't want to be in close proximity to anyone who's sick, be it coronavirus, influenza, or the common cold, and really don't want to be stuck in port at the end of the cruise on a ship that's being quarantined.)

Also, it's curious that I haven't received this notice since it's so close to my sail date.

Edited by groundloop