Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
kstetser

Just changed port day to St. Lucia - beaches?

I just received an email that our Martinique port day has been changed to St. Lucia.  We had planned on a relaxing beach day on our own in Martinique.   We don't like to take ship tours.  Are looking for a nice beach with chairs/umbrellas, food nearby and restrooms that is less likely to have herds, towels or aggressive vendors.   Would welcome suggestions.   We will be there in July - so as much as I love hiking (I'm a geologist), I think it's just going to be too darned hot.  I also get really car sick, so long drives on winding roads are a challenge.   We will have a teen with us - so adult only options are out.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kathi

Edited by kstetser

None of our beaches  are crowded in July. It's low season 

Vigie is walking distance, small boardwalk with local food and drinks, chairs, bathrooms, calm waters.

Rodney Bay's Reduit Beach is 25 minutes or so away, Splash bounce water park, water sports, chairs and umbrellas, calm water, restaurants and such.  $30 one way cab. Or check Bay Gardens for their day pass with the solash oarj, includes lunch, transport, passes, etc 

Pigeon Island. National Park with ruins, hike, Restaurants, beach, shade, etc. On yoir own, $35 one way, $8 entrance fee. Or check Viator or Serenity TVL for their PI "tour".  Transport, entrance, chairs, etc for set price.  

Sugar Beach Beach Break. Speed boat ride to Sugar Beach between the Pitons, lunch, drinks cooler, etc. Spencer Ambrose offers this, as do a few others, I think Serenity TVL, Real St Lucia Experience, etc. 

Enjoy. 

We were planning on doing Pigeon Island next month, but I've been on Trip Advisor and there are lots of comments about (very) pushy vendors. Is this the case even inside the national park bit? If so, we'll probably be heading somewhere else, like Vigie maybe.

42 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

We were planning on doing Pigeon Island next month, but I've been on Trip Advisor and there are lots of comments about (very) pushy vendors. Is this the case even inside the national park bit? If so, we'll probably be heading somewhere else, like Vigie maybe.

There's a fee to get into the national park, $8usd. Vendors are not paying that, even the local rate, to maybe make a sale or two.

Haven't encountered any pushy vendors in the beach area outside either, it's frequented by locals also, and the vendors know we're not buying. (except my husband! Lol).  Great food in or out if the park.