Jump to content

Cabin Room Trips and Tricks


Recommended Posts

I take foldable boxes from dollar tree to put stuff in on the shelves.

We also use a hanging shoe holder.  Not the plastic over the door kind but what you'd hang from the clothes bar with cubbyholes for shoes.  Keeps my shoes from being in a pile on the floor.  

For longer cruises I take 12 inch wide hanging shelves.  I use some shelves for shoes and others for clothes.  Check amazon and pick a lightweight one. Several are under a pound in weight. I even have sometimes used a folding box in one of the hanging shelves.

I also have a small mesh pocket hanger I use on the wall of the cabin to hold sea pass cards, sunglasses, pens, invites, shore excursion tickets

  It keeps the clutter off the vanity. Everything is very lightweight that we use since we usually fly.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a couple of pop up boxes at the dollar store. They are 11 inches square, I think. Made from material. Great to put in the bottom of the closet to corral loose stuff. We used for mittens and hats,etc. when we went to Alaska. Good for shoes, flip flops, in Caribbean. When flattened, they don’t take up any room in luggage. (Just a note....they are perfect for those over the bed storage units on Celebrity. ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

 I also have a small mesh pocket hanger I use on the wall of the cabin to hold sea pass cards, sunglasses, pens, invites, shore excursion tickets

  It keeps the clutter off the vanity. Everything is very lightweight that we use since we usually fly.

 

Wonderful idea!  We bring too many pairs of sunglasses... DH declared Genius!  DH also agreed about the clutter on the vanity with my hair products and tour tickets. I found a pair of mesh pocket hangers at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-KIMBORA-Pockets-Organizer-Door,White/dp/B079L5P8CB/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=mesh+pocket+hanger&qid=1581208545&sr=8-2

 

I learned from a similar thread about 6" silicone sink stoppers. It seems that our bathroom sinks always drain when DH is shaving or I am washing delicates. These have worked so well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Upgraded-Kitchens-Bathrooms-Laundries/dp/B079DBY3KF/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7dyhmpzD5wIVipOzCh0c6wzlEAAYASAAEgIoGPD_BwE&hvadid=326422534307&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9007586&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=11026760572296074107&hvtargid=kwd-472345286159&hydadcr=13135_9718393&keywords=bathroom+sink+drain+and+stopper&qid=1581209019&sr=8-5 

 

 I bring a flat iron to touch up wrinkled/washed clothes. I also bring a rechargeable nightlight for the bathroom. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MHVTHQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lbjen said:

I also always bring a mini bottle of dish soap and a tea towel to wash the cups. 


The soap in the shower dispenser works great for this, and you can use the washcloths or hand towels on the ship -- no need to bring either extra item.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I also like these for hanging all the bottles in the shower, not sure why they’re calling it a clothespin because it’s a mesh bag:

 

TuuTyss Multipurpose Clothespin... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015T3XEWI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I'm dating myself here. Back in the day, before we had a clothes dryer, we had one a similar bag that hung on the clothesline. It stored clothespins to hang your clothes on the line. It was mesh so rain wouldn't collect in the bottom of the bag.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Zip locks to wash out swimsuits in.  Hooks to hand up a mesh shoe organizer because some doors won't take the over the door hooks and mesh because plastic gets nasty and cracks.  Open your suitcase and slide under the bed for dirty clothes then you are already part way packed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My must haves are:

  • chair clips to keep your beach towel in place on windy days
  • liquid hand soap. I usually grab it at Walgreens/CVS when we arrive in Miami or FLL. I hate gross bar soap.
  • extra plastic hangers-there are never enough in the room. I buy those, too, at Walgreens/CVS also once at our port city and leave them behind when the cruise is over.
  • over the door shoe holder for all the extras....I won’t travel without this
  • Magnet and highlighter to hang our cruise compass on the wall & highlight what we are interested in doing
  • Waterproof plastic holder for my cell phone so I can keep it handy for pics while in the water. I used this in Labadee on the jet skis & in the ocean & it worked great
  • plastic luggage tags with wire holder

That’s probably enough for now 🙂 I love this topic because I have learned all of these great ideas from reading what others have posted on CC.

Thanks for bringing it up again.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

One of these to carry your drink cup so you  can have your hands free (1000mL size)

 

AUPET Water Bottle Carrier,Insulated Neoprene Water Bottle Holder Bag Case Pouch Cover 1000ML or 750ML,Adjustable Shoulder Strap, Great for Stainless Steel and Plastic Bottles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012S9GKLS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ycWpEbJFQ0J6T


What a great idea!  I just ordered two.

I always bring a small backlit battery-operated clock and set it somewhere I can see from the bed.  I wake up often in the middle of the night and it's nice to see the time without fumbling for my phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:


What a great idea!  I just ordered two.

I always bring a small backlit battery-operated clock and set it somewhere I can see from the bed.  I wake up often in the middle of the night and it's nice to see the time without fumbling for my phone.

 

We got two of the bottle carriers for my kids when we went to Disney World.  We would always freeze bottled water to take in the parks.  My DH and I just put ours in our travel bags while the kids used their carriers.  Their bottles stayed cold all day long and sometimes still had a little ice left in them!  We've decided we're buying some for us the next time we go.  Warning though.  You may need to leave them outside to air out for a day or two.  They really stunk at first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I take foldable boxes from dollar tree to put stuff in on the shelves.

We also use a hanging shoe holder.  Not the plastic over the door kind but what you'd hang from the clothes bar with cubbyholes for shoes.  Keeps my shoes from being in a pile on the floor.  

For longer cruises I take 12 inch wide hanging shelves.  I use some shelves for shoes and others for clothes.  Check amazon and pick a lightweight one. Several are under a pound in weight. I even have sometimes used a folding box in one of the hanging shelves.

I also have a small mesh pocket hanger I use on the wall of the cabin to hold sea pass cards, sunglasses, pens, invites, shore excursion tickets

  It keeps the clutter off the vanity. Everything is very lightweight that we use since we usually fly.

 

The pocket hanger on the wall sounds great. 

I noticed the vanity/desk on Harmony is just a table. (What were they thinking?)

Hanging some of the things I would put in the drawers would help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

<<<SNIP>>>

 I bring a flat iron to touch up wrinkled/washed clothes.

<<<SNIP>>>

 

Last time Sallie brought one (many cruises ago), I ended up in the naughty room.

T

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:
12 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

<<<SNIP>>>

 I bring a flat iron to touch up wrinkled/washed clothes.

<<<SNIP>>>

 

Last time Sallie brought one (many cruises ago), I ended up in the naughty room.


A "flat iron" is for straightening hair.... they are allowed under Royal's rules, just like curling irons and hair dryers.  

A clothing iron, on the other hand, is not allowed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I noticed the vanity/desk on Harmony is just a table. (What were they thinking?)

Hanging some of the things I would put in the drawers would help. 


Harmony has more/larger drawers than in the vanity area of other ships -- there's a large "credenza" type of furniture that provides large drawers, countertop space, plus the spot for the fridge/cooler.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Magnetic dry erase boards from the dollar store, to communicate with other family members 

 

plastic suction cup hooks from Walmart, work great for hanging up suits in the shower, or stick on mirrors to hold lanyards 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, brillohead said:


Harmony has more/larger drawers than in the vanity area of other ships 

On Harmony, I put all my miscellaneous junk (I mean important things) in the top drawer.  I now use packing cubes for clothes which fit in drawers or shelves.  I even use smaller packing cubes to keep my junk/important things organized. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, brillohead said:


Harmony has more/larger drawers than in the vanity area of other ships -- there's a large "credenza" type of furniture that provides large drawers, countertop space, plus the spot for the fridge/cooler.

Because of my bad back, I sit at the vanity to do hair and makeup. It helps to have everything in drawers right there. I guess most women stand at the bathroom mirror, so the lack of those drawers won’t impact them. 

I don't know how much a small mesh hanger would help, but it would clear the surface of anything extra. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For non-Oasis class ships, I bring a couple of battery operated tea lights for the bathroom at night. From the Dollar Store, cheap and really lightweight,  they give enough light not to have to turn in the bathroom light at night, and one will last through a 27 day cruise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...