250 free internet question

obnurse

We have 250 free internet minutes each, my DH and I.  After we use our 500 minutes, if we want to add on additional minutes what does it cost? We got a email today saying that they’re offering a unlimited package for $60 for the week. But, I’m not sure what it would cost if we add it on after our minutes are used up. My guess is $10 a day. Can anyone answer this? Thanks!

Karen

2 minutes ago, obnurse said:

We have 250 free internet minutes each, my DH and I.  After we use our 500 minutes, if we want to add on additional minutes what does it cost? We got a email today saying that they’re offering a unlimited package for $60 for the week. But, I’m not sure what it would cost if we add it on after our minutes are used up. My guess is $10 a day. Can anyone answer this? Thanks!

Karen

You don't say what ship?

If it is a MedallionNet ship..........

If you purchase onboard and get the unlimited you will get a few more $$ off in lieu of your minutes.

IMO the unlimited is much less of a hassle of logging on and off and keeping track of your minutes.

You can stay connected 24/7 with no worries.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, obnurse said:

Karen

If you do it that way, you have to pay by the day.  It could be more like $15/day - you should ask at the Internet Cafe what they will do before you make the decision to accept the free minutes or buy an internet package at 25% off. 

Furthermore, as I have advised on countless threads, as a Platinum/Elite member, you should never book the internet before cruising because it will cost you more.  Just wait until Day 1 on the ship and you get the best deal.  

If you can guesstimate how long your free minutes might last, and you know what they will charge you per day after that, then you can have a rough idea of your internet cost doing it that way versus buying the package up-front at 25% off the on-board price.

Good luck.  As Colo Cruiser pointed out, the advantage of the unlimited MedallionNet, is you don't have to worry about logging off and on and be concerned about minutes disappearing and attempting to request a rebate from the Internet Cafe, etc.

• Like 1

I'm cheap. I just use my free minutes. On our last cruise (Emerald Princess TA) the Internet access - Yes, it was MedallionNet - was so horrible many complained and got their money back. We have the WiFi package on our next cruises but it was a perk that got added on (for no more money) months after the cruises were booked.

On the Emerald TA the service was horrible. I agree with other here that we had to logon and off all the time. Before MedallionNet using our free minutes was simple but on the Emerald cruise, with MedallionNet, it was a huge pain in the neck. Logging on wasn't just a click - it was entering info every dang time. Over and over. We both hated it.

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

I'm cheap. I just use my free minutes.

Same here. 500 minutes is more than enough for us. Only use it to check emails and d/l updates (when the speed is good). Our longest cruises (not counting B2B) are the 15 day Hawaii itineraries. That breaks down to 30 minutes a day. More than enough. I've got better things to do on a cruise.

Eat, sleep, watch MUTS, read, walk, spend OBC, go to a show...

As a Platinum or Elite guest, you’ll get a special offer when you log on offering you a discounted rate on the unlimited plan. If you think your 250 free (each) will be enough, you can just use those. But, having the unlimited plan, and having to worry about logging in and out, is pretty nice.  We download our local digital version of the newspaper each morning,  use FaceTime to keeping in touch with family, upload photos to Facebook, surf, etc.  Before the unlimited plans were available we were very carefull to ration our online time to not run out of minutes.  So, if you think you’re going to need it at sometime, it may make sense just to buy it in the first day and enjoy it,

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

I'm cheap. I just use my free minutes. On our last cruise (Emerald Princess TA) the Internet access - Yes, it was MedallionNet - was so horrible many complained and got their money back. We have the WiFi package on our next cruises but it was a perk that got added on (for no more money) months after the cruises were booked.

On the Emerald TA the service was horrible. I agree with other here that we had to logon and off all the time. Before MedallionNet using our free minutes was simple but on the Emerald cruise, with MedallionNet, it was a huge pain in the neck. Logging on wasn't just a click - it was entering info every dang time. Over and over. We both hated it.

I was on the same cruise.  Part of the problem was that it was the very first cruise, with Medallion Net, for the Emerald.  It got better on the following cruise.  

• Like 1

On my last cruise I did not receive  a special offer for Platinum/Elite guests when I initially logged in.  There was no offer of a discounted rate on the unlimited plan.  The Internet manager knew nothing about a discounted rate.  This was on the Grand.  The internet was awful so I ended up not using it.