Caribbean Princess 2\2 Sailing Gastrointestinal Virus

Suncitycruiser1925

On 2/7/2020 at 4:25 PM, fishnchips said:

Not surprised , we were on there 2 weeks ago and commented on the lack of sanitizing !

No one on washing hands duty and actually washed our hands on the way OUT of the buffet.

many people just walked past the sinks going in..

Very conscious of our own hand washing on that cruise ,after seeing not much sanitizing after tables removed of plates ect ,in all areas...

Im sorry, but you cant say that.
The buffet area is set up in such a way that you can enter on one side, wash hands etc.....then walk through and find all that side full.
So you walk back....through the ship past the lifts, and back into the buffet on the other side....and then walk straight past the sinks.
People dont have to wash their hands every time they pass a sink....thats just ridicuolous.
But dont assume I havent washed mine if I walk past.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

Im sorry, but you cant say that.
The buffet area is set up in such a way that you can enter on one side, wash hands etc.....then walk through and find all that side full.
So you walk back....through the ship past the lifts, and back into the buffet on the other side....and then walk straight past the sinks.
People dont have to wash their hands every time they pass a sink....thats just ridicuolous.
But dont assume I havent washed mine if I walk past.

I KNOW what I have seen and stand by what I have said !

People are lazy, if they think "they" have got away without washing there hands then they will not go looking for a sink.

That's why there should be  someone on sink duty at all times when entering the buffet area.

They know who they are ,and we'll done to you if you do go looking for a sink.

NOT washing hands before you eat in a confined ship environment is as you put it,  "Ridiculous".

If you have to line up to wash your hands for food safety and the rest of the passengers health, then that is acceptable or put more sinks in .

That's why there is a situation on the Caribbean Princess...(partly)

And I will assume people haven't washed there hands if they walk past me, that's why we wash ours on the way OUT or sanatize after touching the food tongues.

Are we OCD no , but have worked in food public health.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 11:25 AM, fishnchips said:

Not surprised , we were on there 2 weeks ago and commented on the lack of sanitizing !

No one on washing hands duty and actually washed our hands on the way OUT of the buffet.

many people just walked past the sinks going in..

Very conscious of our own hand washing on that cruise ,after seeing not much sanitizing after tables removed of plates ect ,in all areas...

My exact thoughts.  I was on the ship with you must be as it is 1 week since we disembarked.  I was very surprised at lack of hand washing entering buffet.  Fairly new to cruising and my 3 previous were on NCL and "Washy washy" person was on duty at all times at all entrances to the buffet.  

• Like 3

My parents are on this cruise, just emailed us and we are trying to figure out if we can help with their air rebooking.  Feel terribly for the sick folks but also for all those whose probably long planned for vacation has not turned out as hoped.  Naive perhaps as we have cruised often but I didn't realize that norovirus could end up preventing shore stops.  Sounds like there was not much information yet.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, gpd17 said:

I am onboard the ship. It has just been announced that the cruise is being terminated and we are returning to Ft Lauderdale arriving in approximately two days.

gpd

I am so sorry to hear this. The numbers of ill people seemed to be increasing, so I guess this was the best decision. Can you tell us what conditions were like as more pax were found to be sick?

I am thinking about dining, bars, anything out and about on the ship. We will be boarding on Sunday 2/16 and are interested in what "could" happen.

Thanks and, again, I'm sorry.

ML

Also onboard and agree that there was a definite lack of enforcing hand washing when we boarded last Sunday.   I’m sure whoever brought this virus onboard will be well aware of the part they have played in ruining so many peoples cruise.  However Princess do need to take their share of the blame .

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, samur said:

Also onboard and agree that there was a definite lack of enforcing hand washing when we boarded last Sunday.   I’m sure whoever brought this virus onboard will be well aware of the part they have played in ruining so many peoples cruise.  However Princess do need to take their share of the blame .

How so?

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

This happens on every Princess cruise we have ever been on. 🤔

If you speed to work every day for a year, but only get pulled over on the last Tuesday of December, have you done something wrong? Something deserving of a ticket?

I think the poster's point was that especially now that there is the Coronavirus floating around, all health and safety protocols on board should be strictly enforced at all times, or the cruiseline is contributorily negligent.  Guests cannot force other guests to wash hands or use santiizers.  Cruise staff can (with threat of room quarantine, etc).

• Like 2

Just now, SunNFunCruzer said:

If you speed to work every day for a year, but only get pulled over on the last Tuesday of December, have you done something wrong? Something deserving of a ticket?

I think the poster's point was that especially now that there is the Coronavirus floating around, all health and safety protocols on board should be strictly enforced at all times, or the cruiseline is contributorily negligent.  Guests cannot force other guests to wash hands or use santiizers.  Cruise staff can (with threat of room quarantine, etc).

Huh?

Princess cannot and will not force filthy people to wash no matter how they present it.

Ain't gonna happen.

When you get sick on a plane/train/bus/hotel etc etc do you go back and demand these type of things from those business's as well?   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Princess cannot and will not force filthy people to wash no matter how they present it.

Princess CAN absolutely force people to sanitize.  You station someone at all Lido and dining room doors and refuse entrance unless and until guests use sanitizer or wash in a sink.  Anyone who refuses to comply must return to their stateroom and be served meals there.

They can also make sure that guests do not serve themselves at buffets.  Is it slightly inconvenient and time consuming? Sure, but it beats spreading a gastro or other virus.  Do you think passengers on the Caribbean Princess that are returning early to FLA and are being denied port stops would rather have had an enforced disinfection policy? Or a shortened cruise with missed ports?  Desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Princess CAN absolutely force people to sanitize.  You station someone at all Lido and dining room doors and refuse entrance unless and until guests use sanitizer or wash in a sink.  Anyone who refuses to comply must return to their stateroom and be served meals there.

They can also make sure that guests do not serve themselves at buffets.  Is it slightly inconvenient and time consuming? Sure, but it beats spreading a gastro or other virus.  Do you think passengers on the Caribbean Princess that are returning early to FLA and are being denied port stops would rather have had an enforced disinfection policy? Or a shortened cruise with missed ports?  Desperate times call for desperate measures.

So what happens when it's enforced like you say and there are still the same outbreaks?

What about the passenger that takes a dump in the public restroom then walks out without washing and touches the handrails, the elevator buttons, the public door handles? Swims in the pools?

13 hours ago, fishnchips said:

I KNOW what I have seen and stand by what I have said !

People are lazy, if they think "they" have got away without washing there hands then they will not go looking for a sink.

That's why there should be  someone on sink duty at all times when entering the buffet area.

They know who they are ,and we'll done to you if you do go looking for a sink.

NOT washing hands before you eat in a confined ship environment is as you put it,  "Ridiculous".

If you have to line up to wash your hands for food safety and the rest of the passengers health, then that is acceptable or put more sinks in .

That's why there is a situation on the Caribbean Princess...(partly)

And I will assume people haven't washed there hands if they walk past me, that's why we wash ours on the way OUT or sanatize after touching the food tongues.

Are we OCD no , but have worked in food public health.

‘That's why there should be  someone on sink duty at all times when entering the buffet area.‘
There were sink monitors at both entrances to buffet on Regal TA last April during an outbreak. 

• Like 1

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

So what happens when it's enforced like you say and there are still the same outbreaks?

Then Princess or any other cruiseline would have no blame.  Assuming they have taken all reasonable precautions. And we're back where we started with the poster reporting that hand washing was not enforced.

• Like 3

Just now, SunNFunCruzer said:

Then Princess or any other cruiseline would have no blame.  Assuming they have taken all reasonable precautions. And we're back where we started with the poster reporting that hand washing was not enforced.

Right so it's not happening and cruises have NORO.

I think we all need to calm down and accept the science that informs us. I have no idea how many people wash their hands upon entering the MDR, Buffet or whatever. I do know that I wash my hands and that is all I can do. I also sneeze into my arm or clothes, only hit elevator buttons with a knuckle, and stay away from others who sneeze or cough with no concern for others.

People need to stop blaming others or asserting that they are blameless. No flu/cold/noro/corona virus reads these pages. It is just biology working. Accept that this is risk of travelling anywhere. If you aren't comfortable with the risk, don't travel. If you are, be prepared for potential consequences.

A medical scientist

Edited by NoWhiners
typos
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

gpd

I am so sorry to hear this. The numbers of ill people seemed to be increasing, so I guess this was the best decision. Can you tell us what conditions were like as more pax were found to be sick?

I am thinking about dining, bars, anything out and about on the ship. We will be boarding on Sunday 2/16 and are interested in what "could" happen.

Thanks and, again, I'm sorry.

ML

From what I read from another post, 5.6% of the over 3,000 passengers and about 1.5% of the crew have been sick during the cruise. That’s a total number not a current one. The Captain stated that the number of currently people has been declining for the last few days. Whatever bug that is going around has not been publicly identified except for a comment by the Captain that it is not coronavirus.

Those figures do not seem high to me. Five percent of any given group of people seems pretty normal in the middle of the flu season in winter.

The staff have been diligent in enforcing hand washing at every entrance to the buffet and with constant public address reminders to do so elsewhere. Buffet food has been served by staff, no using the utensils by the individual diner is permitted. By what I have seen, people are complying without much complaining.

I haven’t noticed anything unusual such a pails in public places that you might see during rough seas. Life aboard ship is routine except for the buffet.

More details to follow when we are provided them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gpd17 said:

From what I read from another post, 5.6% of the over 3,000 passengers and about 1.5% of the crew have been sick during the cruise. That’s a total number not a current one. The Captain stated that the number of currently people has been declining for the last few days. Whatever bug that is going around has not been publicly identified except for a comment by the Captain that it is not coronavirus.

Those figures do not seem high to me. Five percent of any given group of people seems pretty normal in the middle of the flu season in winter.

The staff have been diligent in enforcing hand washing at every entrance to the buffet and with constant public address reminders to do so elsewhere. Buffet food has been served by staff, no using the utensils by the individual diner is permitted. By what I have seen, people are complying without much complaining.

I haven’t noticed anything unusual such a pails in public places that you might see during rough seas. Life aboard ship is routine except for the buffet.

More details to follow when we are provided them.

Thank you so much for replying during this difficult time. From what you describe, it appears as though pax were able to move about the ship, dining areas,  bars, clubs at will--is this true?

Just trying to get a  handle on how restricted the cruise could be. I do feel for you and others. It would be very disappointing to take any cruise and miss ports, then come home early.

What is the mood on the ship?