Changing number in room

klb1978

We are looking at a cruise for December and almost ready to book.  My brother and family are considering going but they aren’t sure yet.  We would book one of their kids in our room if they go.  Can I book the 3 of us now and then add a child later?  Or is it best to just book a 4th person and sort it out later?  What sort of penalty do I get if I drop person #4?  We just are unsure as how is best to go about this.  They have the kids sale free promo right now and our sailing qualifies.  Thanks so much!

44 minutes ago, klb1978 said:

Makes sense.  We would know well before then.  Would my price then be adjusted to reflect that we only have 3?  Kids sail free but we still pay taxes and fees on him.  

Yes, you will get a full refund of everything related to guest #4.   

The reason to put them on the reservation to start with is twofold:  1- You will need a cabin that is designed for 4 passengers, not 3.  and 2- when you try to add the 4th passenger, you are subject to available lifeboat space in the muster area for the cabin.  (they need at least one space for each "soul" in the muster area).  This is where the problem usually occurs, not with finding a cabin.

2 hours ago, klb1978 said:

Ok thanks.  That was my thinking too.  If #4 doesn’t work out what happens if I cancel him?

1 hour ago, TXHappyCruiser said:

Nothing as long as it's before final payment.

Cancellation penalties are different for guests 3 and 4.  

Guests 3 and 4 can cancel and receive a full refund as long as the reservation is not in the final penalty phase which for most cruises is 30 days prior to sailing and not at final payment.

12 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

Yes, you will get a full refund of everything related to guest #4.   

The reason to put them on the reservation to start with is twofold:  1- You will need a cabin that is designed for 4 passengers, not 3.  and 2- when you try to add the 4th passenger, you are subject to available lifeboat space in the muster area for the cabin.  (they need at least one space for each "soul" in the muster area).  This is where the problem usually occurs, not with finding a cabin.

I've recently come across some rooms that for whatever reason are available to only book for 4.  You cannot book them for 3.  If you have 4 and cancel one they may move you to a triple occupancy cabin at the current rates.

OP  Make sure the cabin you are booking will allow you to book it with either 3 or 4 guests.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

32 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I've recently come across some rooms that for whatever reason are available to only book for 4.  You cannot book them for 3.  If you have 4 and cancel one they may move you to a triple occupancy cabin at the current rates.

OP  Make sure the cabin you are booking will allow you to book it with either 3 or 4 guests.

Since it is a kids sail free sailing could they just have the 4th passenger be a no show if it comes to that? They should still get the taxes and port fees refunded, correct? 

23 minutes ago, 3monkeys4me said:

Since it is a kids sail free sailing could they just have the 4th passenger be a no show if it comes to that? They should still get the taxes and port fees refunded, correct? 

Yes, if it's a KSf booking and the guest to be cancelled is free on the reservation then a no show would work. They would get taxes refunded. 

For mentioned reasons it is best to book 4 now, realizing that you will have to pay the deposit for a fourth person. Several have noted you get a refund for canceling third or fourth person. What actually happens is they apply the money to the other passenger fares, they don't actually send a refund.

32 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

For mentioned reasons it is best to book 4 now, realizing that you will have to pay the deposit for a fourth person. Several have noted you get a refund for canceling third or fourth person. What actually happens is they apply the money to the other passenger fares, they don't actually send a refund.

If you cancel the third or fourth after final payment as you are allowed to then yes they do issue a refund as everything has been paid