Jump to content

America's Test Kitchen gone?


Recommended Posts

was on Rotterdam last fall on a 32 day itinerary, and Maasdam this winter on a 28 day itinerary.  On Rotterdam, the ATK gave demos for the first half of the itinerary, then there were no other food events.  On Maasdam there were no food demos , the Wyjang was used for movies during the day, also for EXC lectures/talks.  And, the sign outside the entrance was gone.  I wouldn't care, was never a fan, but I know other passengers have enjoyed them.  Maybe they are bringing back the "Food & Wine" association?  Hope so.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BJzink said:

was on Rotterdam last fall on a 32 day itinerary, and Maasdam this winter on a 28 day itinerary.  On Rotterdam, the ATK gave demos for the first half of the itinerary, then there were no other food events.  On Maasdam there were no food demos , the Wyjang was used for movies during the day, also for EXC lectures/talks.  And, the sign outside the entrance was gone.  I wouldn't care, was never a fan, but I know other passengers have enjoyed them.  Maybe they are bringing back the "Food & Wine" association?  Hope so.....

I was on the Eurodam in November and the woman putting on the ATK program said that ATK was no longer going to be on the ships because there were limitations to the number of programs  available and there were beginning to be too many repeats (that was my personal experience.) She said HAL would be changing to their own  programs featuring foods from the ports they were visiting.  She also said they would then use some of the recipes in their dining rooms.  Hope this happens.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ajcathy said:

I was on the Eurodam in November and the woman putting on the ATK program said that ATK was no longer going to be on the ships because there were limitations to the number of programs  available and there were beginning to be too many repeats (that was my personal experience.) She said HAL would be changing to their own  programs featuring foods from the ports they were visiting.  She also said they would then use some of the recipes in their dining rooms.  Hope this happens.  

Regional cooking would be a welcome change.  Thanks for the info

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ajcathy said:

I was on the Eurodam in November and the woman putting on the ATK program said that ATK was no longer going to be on the ships because there were limitations to the number of programs  available and there were beginning to be too many repeats (that was my personal experience.) She said HAL would be changing to their own  programs featuring foods from the ports they were visiting.  She also said they would then use some of the recipes in their dining rooms.  Hope this happens. 

Now I remember that the MDR dinner menus had one entrée each day with the title "Port to Table"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ajcathy said:

I was on the Eurodam in November and the woman putting on the ATK program said that ATK was no longer going to be on the ships because there were limitations to the number of programs  available and there were beginning to be too many repeats (that was my personal experience.) She said HAL would be changing to their own  programs featuring foods from the ports they were visiting.  She also said they would then use some of the recipes in their dining rooms.  Hope this happens.  

 

I like the concept that HAL would be featuring foods from the ports in demos and the dining room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are just off the Eurodam.  During a 10 day cruise there were 2 "Port to Table" presentations featuring the cruise director, a pre-recorded video, and one of the ship's chefs.  The recipes featured local ingredients and copies were provided.  While not as informative as the America's Test Kitchen, the talks were enjoyable and relatable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

We are just off the Eurodam.  During a 10 day cruise there were 2 "Port to Table" presentations featuring the cruise director, a pre-recorded video, and one of the ship's chefs.  The recipes featured local ingredients and copies were provided.  While not as informative as the America's Test Kitchen, the talks were enjoyable and relatable.

I like the concept - but I don't want to go sit in on a presentation with a pre-recorded video - you miss the personalities and the engagement between the chefs and the audience. Hopefully the transition is just that and the live "local port food" presentations will be featured. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are currently on the Rotterdam.  ATK was discontinued with the first cruise that began after January 1, although they have not gotten around to take the sign down.  Our understanding was this was fleet wide.

 

There were cooking demonstrations by one of the chefs featuring local food.  Since I did not make it to any of them, I don’t know if there was a prerecorded video presentation.

 

We were told they are working in a replacement for ATK, but no details were shared.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, boze9999 said:

I like the concept - but I don't want to go sit in on a presentation with a pre-recorded video - you miss the personalities and the engagement between the chefs and the audience. Hopefully the transition is just that and the live "local port food" presentations will be featured. 

The pre-recorded portions are short and designed to fit in with the script used by the cruise director.  They don't detract from the substance and they allow the chef to complete mundane tasks while the audience is occupied.  It works very well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OHCruiser said:

The pre-recorded portions are short and designed to fit in with the script used by the cruise director.  They don't detract from the substance and they allow the chef to complete mundane tasks while the audience is occupied.  It works very well.

 

Also, every ATK presentation also had a pre-recorded topic that was shown also.....

 

We enjoyed ATK but are more excited about HAL spotlighting it's own chefs and the regional food where we are cruising....Looking forward to this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...