Jump to content

Recommended Posts

As I recall on the Sunshine, when doing the Your time dining (or whatever it is called) you had to go to deck 5 to get a ticket(?) and then go to the dining room. Is this type of thing done on any of the other ships and if so which ones?

Link to post
Share on other sites

What!  I never had to get a ticket for YTD!  Is this new?  We just went to the dining room when we were hungry and it only took 5 minutes to be seated.  Please will someone clarify as my hubby doesn't like anything different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, msstarr22 said:

What!  I never had to get a ticket for YTD!  Is this new?  We just went to the dining room when we were hungry and it only took 5 minutes to be seated.  Please will someone clarify as my hubby doesn't like anything different.

I only encountered this type of thing on Sunshine a few years back. I haven't been on Carnival in a while so wanted to see if any other ships were like this. Someone else will probably reply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never heard about getting a ticket, but on the Vista class ships, you check in for YTD on deck 5, I think it's near the cafe. Maybe this is also a thing on Sunshine & Sunrise, I don't know. I never really understood why they introduced this method or how it's supposed to be better. Also, in the past, people have reported that they were told they could also check in at the MDR desk, just like always. I'm not sure if that's still possible. Then there's the ability to check in from the Hub app. That's not available on all ships yet, but seems to be on most of them. You tell it you're ready for dinner and how many in your party, then it'll alert you when a table is ready. You then have 10 minutes (I think) to go to the MDR to get that table.

 

For all other ships, you still go straight to the MDR as usual, or use the Hub app if YTD check-in is available for that ship. It wasn't on the Valor this past December.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On Panorama we used the HUB app. I think you could check in on deck 4 or 5 near the coffee bar, but we never did that. Once on the app it checked me in for 2 instead of 4 but the front desk at the MDR was able to fix that for us.

Edited by crucero
correction
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, msstarr22 said:

What!  I never had to get a ticket for YTD!  Is this new?  We just went to the dining room when we were hungry and it only took 5 minutes to be seated.  Please will someone clarify as my hubby doesn't like anything different.


The only ships I know that do this from experience are Sunshine, Vista and Horizon. I assume this would also apply on Sunrise and Panorama, but don’t know that for certain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EmmasNana said:

 

As I recall on the Sunshine, when doing the Your time dining (or whatever it is called) you had to go to deck 5 to get a ticket(?) and then go to the dining room. 

 

 

 

On Carnival (Sunshine) 'Your Time Dining' is located on (Deck 3) in the 'Sunrise Dining Room'.

 

See the information below, 2nd from the bottom. 

Pics-Art-02-08-08-28-17.png

20200208-082352.png

 

 

✌️

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

On Carnival (Sunshine) 'Your Time Dining' is located on (Deck 3) in the 'Sunrise Dining Room'.

 

The OP isn't asking which MDR is used for YTD. They're talking about YTD check-in. On the Vista & Sunshine class ships, YTD checks in on the Promenade deck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think the HUB APP would be available on the Sunshine.  It was available for check in on the Breeze last Nov.  Vista & newer ships have the capability.  Checking in  on the app was easy & convenient.  Never took more than 5-10 minutes for our table to be ready with an alert from the app.  I think on the Breeze they were still allowing you to walk up to hostess station to check in, but encouraged use of the app.   Loved the app, and am hoping it is rolled out fleetwide eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:


The only ships I know that do this from experience are Sunshine, Vista and Horizon. I assume this would also apply on Sunrise and Panorama, but don’t know that for certain. 

 

It was the case on the Sunrise last year, so I presume it still is.  The process struck us as a bit odd, but it didn't turn out to be a problem at all.   You have to check in somewhere, and we didn't find it difficult to check in on the Promenade deck before heading to the dining room.   If we could have used the HUB app instead, we didn't know that at the time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Border Granny said:

Just walked up, gave us our name and cabin number last June on the Dream.

That is how it is on the Dream Class and older ships.  On all of the ships that have come into the fleet beginning  with the Vista, check in is on one level (or the App) and dining is on another level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, snake114 said:

What if you have YTD and find a wait staff that you particularly like and want to request them again?  Any mechanism for that on the hub app?  We will be on the Panorama next week.

 

that is not on the hub app. you will have to go the check in desk and ask to be in that wait staff section

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood the concept behind making YTD check in on deck 5. What was wrong with checking in at the MDR desk? We'll be on Horizon next month and will be our first time to do it this way. It'll also be the first time we're able to check in from the app, so we'll probably do that instead. I just don't get why they changed it. It doesn't seem to make it more efficient and it creates an extra stop for the passenger, sometimes having to go out of their way to do it on deck 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I never understood the concept behind making YTD check in on deck 5. What was wrong with checking in at the MDR desk? We'll be on Horizon next month and will be our first time to do it this way. It'll also be the first time we're able to check in from the app, so we'll probably do that instead. I just don't get why they changed it. It doesn't seem to make it more efficient and it creates an extra stop for the passenger, sometimes having to go out of their way to do it on deck 5.

 

most likely it is a done as a crowd control message. to avoid crowds near the dinning room entrance. depending on the ship, sometimes the entrance is a small hallway 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, shof515 said:

 

most likely it is a done as a crowd control message. to avoid crowds near the dinning room entrance. depending on the ship, sometimes the entrance is a small hallway 

 

 

never seen lines at YTD, should operate like a normal restaurant. Although we do not show up the minute it opens.

 

18 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I never understood the concept behind making YTD check in on deck 5

 

 

completely agree, ill conceived idea

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coevan said:

 

 

never seen lines at YTD, should operate like a normal restaurant. Although we do not show up the minute it opens.

 

 

 

completely agree, ill conceived idea

The reason is that the area to enter the dining room is fairly restricted in size.  That is why you check in on 5

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...