CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

Totally agree jimbo! Everyone should read this article! Many thanks for posting jimbo!! [emoji106][emoji106]

This is much better than the news I just read coming out of UC-Davis. https://www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/newly-diagnosed-coronavirus-patient-being-treated-at-uc-davis-medical-center/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

I have the answer on whether the travel insurance via my credit card might cover a cancellation due to the Coronavirus. This is a Carnival Credit card, not sure if this is standard with credit card trip insurance. I found the answer on their website, it’s pretty clear:

”This insurance does not apply to any loss caused by or resulting from, directly or indirectly, a Covered Person’s disinclination to travel due to an epidemic or pandemic.”

On the bright side I have a new word for my concern, disinclination to travel, learn something new every day! 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:20 AM, SDPadreFan said:

Worse than influenza - that's a bit of a stretch. While the Wuhan virus is just getting started, claimed deaths is just a little over 200 so we don't know truly how deadly it can be. The U.S. Center for Disease Control estimates 61,000 deaths from the flu (in the U.S.) in the 2017-18 season, 34,000 in the 2018-2019 season and currently projects 10,000-25,000 for the 2019-2020 season.

Canada averages about 3,500 deaths per year from the flu.

Get your flu shots folks. I've been getting mine every year since 1973 (age 17) and have never had the flu (that I know of). I'm still kicking on all 8 cylinders (at age 64) and no strange appendages growing from my body.

Quoting my own comments but information is being updated all the time. Latest thing I read is that this COVID-19 virus currently has a mortality rate of 2% while the standard flu has a mortality rate of .1%. But as I said, info gets updated as the data matures. Plus the sample is still fairly small, especially when cultural factors and access to state of the art medicine are taken into account.

But keep your hands clean and your fingers out of your mouth just the same.

My wife and I are booked on the Paradise March 28th. I paid 955.28 for our cruise. I called carnival tonight to see what the cancellation penalty would be. I was advised the penalty was $378. I have till friday to cancel or its 75% cruise fare. If I cancel I have the oppertunity to go to the ncobx instead. We have 14 cruises under our belt with Carnival. But my wife is 2nd geussing her self about this cruise

Edited by jdixon0631

28 minutes ago, jdixon0631 said:

My wife and I are booked on the Paradise March 28th. I paid 955.28 for our cruise. I called carnival tonight to see what the cancellation penalty would be. I was advised the penalty was $378. I have till friday to cancel or its 75% cruise fare. If I cancel I have the oppertunity to go to the ncobx instead. We have 14 cruises under our belt with Carnival. But my wife is 2nd geussing her self about this cruise

What is ncobx?

• Like 1

Booked on a Mediterranean cruise in August, not planning to cancel and not really worried either, although we live in the European Union (= no real insurance risks/problems since medical care is free of charge no matter where in the EU we are, and I also have additional cover both through work and through credit cards) and are in a low-risk category (mid-to-late 30´s, no medical conditions, kids healthy as well) which I guess makes things easier. 

The only major change I will make is that I will probably bring my laptop on all my vacations in the future so I can work if I get stuck in a quarantine somewhere, which is something that I try to avoid otherwise in order to be able to relax better. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jdixon0631 said:
10 hours ago, jdixon0631 said:

Thanks for the reminder that our cruise fare is 50% refundable until we pass the 30 day mark. We have another week before we lose that option.

I called TravelSafe, my insurance provider and as expected I am not covered as I do not have cancel for any reason coverage. I also got an e-mail this morning from InsureMyTrip.com with helpful information. It included a link I will share as it might be helpful to others here.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-plans-coverages/coronavirus-travel-insurance/?utm_campaign=Coronavirus3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=blast&utm_content=coronavirus

I saw this on their cancellation page and hadn’t seen it before. I’m sure I had just overlooked it but here it is for anyone needing it:

For guests booked directly with Carnival: To check and see if your booking is subject to a cancellation penalty, login to your carnival.com profile. Under the 'My Cruise Details' section, click on the 'Is there a penalty for cancelling this booking' link.

29 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

I saw this on their cancellation page and hadn’t seen it before. I’m sure I had just overlooked it but here it is for anyone needing it:

For guests booked directly with Carnival: To check and see if your booking is subject to a cancellation penalty, login to your carnival.com profile. Under the 'My Cruise Details' section, click on the 'Is there a penalty for cancelling this booking' link.

I couldn't find that on mine but I was able to see the details of my costs and at the bottom there was a drop down I could open up that told me the penalty for canceling.  Unfortunately for me it is 1/2 the cost of my cruise so almost $1500 I'll lose if I cancel.

Another cruiseship turned away today and refused port in the Dominican Republic because of Corona Virus fears.  

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/485026-third-cruise-ship-refused-port

And the MSC ship from yesterday that docked in Cozumel this morning has been there all day but passengers cannot get off the ship.

This is the type of information we all need to share.  Facts.

• Like 1

Well, Brazil is now on the radar, as a confirmed case(1 only) was reported today. The first in South America. The caribbean basin and all island nations, Mexico and all of Central America, still not reporting any cases.  

26 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Another cruise ship turned away today

and refused port in the Dominican Republic -because of Corona Virus fears.  

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/485026-third-cruise-ship-refused-port

And the MSC ship from yesterday that docked in Cozumel this morning

has been there all day, but passengers cannot get off the ship.

This is the type of information we all need to share.  Facts.

And Carnival Fascination turned away from St. Lucia today Thurs. 27th

arriving here in Barbados on what is normally her St. Lucia day

- and scheduled to remain here until tomorrow = her usual Friday-is-Barbados Day.

Whole day today

it looks like she's been out at the Quarantine Anchorage in Carlisle Bay

but may? v.recently have been allowed to dock?(not sure about that last bit)

- but it would be nice for those stuck on board and missing a port of call.

Here's the article in today's daily island newspaper!

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/news/244091/carnival-fascination-offshore

carnival-fascination at Q anchorage.jpg

2days.JPG

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

And Carnival Fascination turned away from St. Lucia today Thurs. 27th

arriving here in Barbados on what is normally her St. Lucia day

and scheduled to remain here until tomorrow = her usual Friday-is-Barbados Day.

Whole day

it looks like she's been out at the Quarantine Anchorage in Carlisle Bay

but may? v.recently have been allowed to dock?(not sure about that last bit)

- but it would be nice for those stuck on board and missing a port of call.

Here's the article in today's daily island newspaper!

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/news/244091/carnival-fascination-offshore

carnival-fascination at Q anchorage.jpg

2days.JPG

Thank you for posting Aplmac. This is the first I've heard of this. It looks as though many, if not most Carribean island nations(if that is the proper terminology) are doing all they can to prevent the introduction of this nasty bug into their realm. I don't blame them one bit. It will be a hurt on their economy to be sure, but IMO, it's the right thing for them to do.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Thank you for posting Aplmac. This is the first I've heard of this.

It looks as though many, if not most Caribbean island nations

are doing all they can to prevent the introduction of this nasty bug into their realm.

I don't blame them one bit.

It will be a hurt on their economy to be sure,

but IMO, it's the right thing for them to do.

Given the current global health situation

I think many of these island-nations are operating 'in an abundance of caution'.

Prior to COVID-19,

these islands have been known to refuse entry to cruise ships

with Noro-virus on board -or other suspicious and non-desireable afflictions

so this is refusal behaviour is not new,

although perhaps a bit more stringent now

- knowing "what stalks the face of the earth"!

I came across an interesting "dashboard" of current nation-status for COVID-19

in map form, with big blobs of colour

representative of the extent of infection, per country

complete with numbers, stats and other fun stuff. Link below.

I found it interesting: Geez the Far East looks a mess!

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0He6UYpywlPXkVq9764Ewx5vWyu1bFkFoluooUQAXfMYspF3-oMKSEjuM#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Like 2

"Given the current global health situation I think many of these island-nations are operating 'in an abundance of caution'.

Alpmac to do anything other than that is folly IMO.  That is a GREAT link you posted. Thank you. 

• Like 3

On 2/26/2020 at 5:38 PM, SunNFunCruzer said:

^^^ This is exactly the situation I worried about when the Caribbean Princess was being denied port stops in the Caribbean because of FEAR.  We, and, I'd bet, a majority of cruisers cruise for ports.  Otherwise, why not just book a resort or all-inclusive somewhere?  The point of a cruise for many is to explore new ports and new locales and new cultures.

I do not know of a single cruiseline that sells 7 day cruises to nowhere.  Add to that -  a cruise to nowhere + the risk of catching a virus and/or of being quarantined for 2 weeks.  This is a huge problem that was absolutely foreseeable as soon as the Caribbean Princess and other ships were denied port stops.

We still have a little under 3 weeks to decide, and 2 cruises on our ship before we have to make that decision.

I do not know of a single cruise line that sells cruises to nowhere of any length.  I thought they became either illegal or heavily fined several years ago.

While many do cruise for new ports, that certainly isn't the case for all (possibly not even most).  The point of a cruise for me is to be on the ocean.  I can explore new ports, locales, and cultures much more thoroughly by taking a land trip.  Very little can be seen in the few hours we have in port on Caribbean/Bermuda/Bahamas cruises, they are mostly tourist vacations and not travel.

Some other reasons to not just book a resort or AI: not having to fly (if fortunate to live close to port) to get to different locales; unpack once and scenery changes; if weather is bad at the resort you are stuck there, a ship can move; more options on a cruise ship. 

I've done a cruise that was scheduled for 3 days at Bermuda and had 1 day at Charleston - many on the ship considered it a cruise to nowhere (although Charleston was a lovely port day).  It was still a cruise and enjoyable for those who let it be fun.  I would be more upset to fly to a resort and the entire resort be under quarantine because someone with the virus was there undetected the week before and infected staff who in turn infected guests.

• Like 1

I do not believe that Cruises to nowhere would sell well.

Someone on my Roll Call for March 15th just added that a 4th ship was turned away from ports, this week.  A Costa Ship was turned away from Tortola yesterday because of Corona Virus fears.

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-ship-with-sick-passengers-denied-to-dock-in-the-british-virgin-islands/38014

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

I do not believe that Cruises to nowhere would sell well.

Someone on my Roll Call for March 15th just added that a 4th ship was turned away from ports, this week.  A Costa Ship was turned away from Tortola yesterday because of Corona Virus fears.

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-ship-with-sick-passengers-denied-to-dock-in-the-british-virgin-islands/38014

Thank you for posting SunNFunZruzer. This is just affirmation that Aplmac posted earlier that the Islands are acting out of an abundance of caution. From the article:

"This development comes as Italy is facing a coronavirus crisis with more than 400 confirmed cases, making it the greatest concentration of confirmed infections in Europe. There are multiple Italian towns closed off and the majority of infections are in the Lombardy regions but also Veneto, Emilia Romagna, Liguria, Piemonte, Lazio, Sicily, Tuscany, Bolzano, and Marche. Sadly, 11 people have died from the virus in Italy so far."

This is not looking good at all, I’ve been following the news all day. Being from California, home of the first community infection maybe Carnival will ask me to stay home and happily offer a full refund. I must say our governor did a great job at the press conference this morning and I am not a fan. I was surprised there was a freak out after and another big stock market drop.

He mentioned they were monitoring 8400 people but none of them have tested positive for the virus so far and they are mostly the people that have arrived from Asia since the virus appeared. We desperately need more tests and a lab in state to process them quickly, they are on the way and should be here within a few days according to the CDC. He was calm and reassuring and shockingly apolitical, the state and federal governments are working hand in hand. OTOH it is a given that the virus will spread. 

I am not worried at all about the health of my family except my 90 year old mother who suffers from COPD but she is high risk for the flu also so not much has changed there.  I do wish I hadn’t booked a family cruise for Easter Week but I am sure that will sort itself out, one way or the other. Oh, and I am going with Carnival or paying extra for the cancel for any reason travel insurance from now on! 

Oh, and being stuck on a cruise to nowhere does not sound appealing at all to me. There is a valid reason the ships are being turned away, not sure this is the time to be on a cruise ship. They offer a wonderful vacation under normal circumstances but flu season has been a problem for years and the new virus just ups ante. Ok, sorry for the negatively, hopefully things start looking up! 

• Like 4

TeresaJ, we are on the same cruise as you.  I know the days are getting much shorter, and I have already received a notification from the insurance I took out to cover all of us, and said they would NOT be reliable for this Coronaviris!  So it looks like we will be stuck no matter what, but I'm "praying" that things will go better than what they seem at this time.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:14 PM, glrounds said:

Its simple actually. If you've been to China you must have a PASSPORT. On that passport it'll show the dates that you were there. If you've been in China over the last 14 days they will see that. Short of demanding everyone produce a passport, it should take care of itself.

So, if my husband was traveling for work to China and came home only a few days before a cruise, he wouldn't have to use his passport to get on a cruise ship.  He could choose to travel with his original certified birth certificate and driver's license.  Unless Border security runs his name through any search system, how would they know?  Serious question.  FYI, he's never been to China, but asking to know how they could honestly know your travel history without your passport in hand.