Jump to content

Viking Coronavirus Update


Squawkman
 Share

Recommended Posts

I also received a letter last night.  They cancelling our honeymoon cruise (Bangkok, Bali and Beyond) that was set to cruise April 2nd from Bali.  Certainly disappointed it was cancelled but not disappointed in Viking.  It's all just unfortunate.  Of course they are refunding the whole trip (including the trip excursions that we booked through them).  Have to try to get some 3rd party excursions refunded but they are  not big $.  I also had $3k in flight through Delta (non-refundable).  I called Delta and the were initially going to just via the change fees and give me a credit to be used later..   Technically - this is all they have to do for non-refundable tickets (which is what we purchased).  However, after nicely pleading my case they refunded the entire $ amount.   Despite the bad luck with the cruise I feel very lucky.

 

Hope everyone else affected has similar luck resolving issues!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paulswanderlust said:

We were on the Grand Pacific Explorer, leaving Auckland on March 6.  We were notified yesterday our whole 90 day cruise has been cancelled and the ship is repositioning to Alaska for the spring season.  We're getting a full refund and vouchers totaling $1000 pp.  I think this is relatively paltry.  We're less than two weeks away from flying, a room full of vacation clothes waiting to be packed, and now no cruise.  We have sunk costs for several visas, private tours and an AIr NewZealand air upgrade that Viking isn't going to cover.  It would be interesting to compare notes once people start complaining.

Paul

Why would Viking be responsible if you decided to go outside for upgraded air, private tours, etc.? Viking is not responsible for the coronavirus situation. If you read on CC how some other cruise lines are compensating for cancelled cruises, you'd find Viking is being very generous. Hey, stuff happens. My cruise to Scandinavia was cancelled last March three days before flying - and a lot of stuff was already packed, I arranged all sorts of stuff (work, taking care of house, etc). Know the feeling - but, hey, I wasn't hurt.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Paulswanderlust said:

We were on the Grand Pacific Explorer, leaving Auckland on March 6.  We were notified yesterday our whole 90 day cruise has been cancelled and the ship is repositioning to Alaska for the spring season.  We're getting a full refund and vouchers totaling $1000 pp.  I think this is relatively paltry.  We're less than two weeks away from flying, a room full of vacation clothes waiting to be packed, and now no cruise.  We have sunk costs for several visas, private tours and an AIr NewZealand air upgrade that Viking isn't going to cover.  It would be interesting to compare notes once people start complaining.

Paul

 

So you consider a full refund and vouchers totaling $1,000 "paltry"?  For something that was out of Viking's control?  My oh my.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are booked on the Viking Sun Jewels of Southeast Asia on Mar 8  - we were just notified today that cruise is being re-routed to Bali and then on to Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Maldives and over to India.  Pretty big change from the original southeast asia which included Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Singapore.  Interesting that they wouldn't just cancel this one - anyone else booked on this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, marin09 said:

We are booked on the Viking Sun Jewels of Southeast Asia on Mar 8  - we were just notified today that cruise is being re-routed to Bali and then on to Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Maldives and over to India.  Pretty big change from the original southeast asia which included Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Singapore.  Interesting that they wouldn't just cancel this one - anyone else booked on this?


This cruise is a segment of the world cruise, not a stand alone cruise.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wondering if there are any new advisories coming from Viking. We are on Viking Sky for the Mediterranean Odyssey leaving Barcelona for Venice in a few weeks. Today, Italy is limiting activities in the Venice area (where we disembark) as well as the Milan area (where we are going and then will fly out of). So far there is nothing posted on My Viking Journey or through email as to itinerary changes. Of course this is very recent information but would love to hear if anyone going to this area has heard of any changes or cancellations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two Caronavirus cases were reported in Venice.

Many more in northern Italy.

Venice cancelled the remainder of Carnival.

There has been one death in Padua, near Venice.

See the Italy ports forum for an article today on the topic.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find this quote particularly troubling:

Luca Zaia, regional governor of Veneto, said the rapid spread of the virus showed that local-to-local transmission had occurred and it would no longer be sufficient to try to isolate travellers from China to stem the outbreak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2020 at 1:21 PM, marin09 said:

We are booked on the Viking Sun Jewels of Southeast Asia on Mar 8  - we were just notified today that cruise is being re-routed to Bali and then on to Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Maldives and over to India.  Pretty big change from the original southeast asia which included Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Singapore.  Interesting that they wouldn't just cancel this one - anyone else booked on this?

On Royal Caribbean, the Radiance of the Seas was to tender at Bali, but they arrived and no one was allowed ashore.  This was most likely on Friday, local time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, reverie4401 said:

On Royal Caribbean, the Radiance of the Seas was to tender at Bali, but they arrived and no one was allowed ashore.  This was most likely on Friday, local time.  

 I've just read elsewhere that it was a decision by the Capt / Royal Caribbean not to allow pax to disembark. According to what I read they were concerned if any pax picked up the virus whilst in Bali the ship would not be allowed to berth in any Australian port - which would leave them stranded at sea for the next 2 weeks or more.

 

Unconfirmed, just what I read elsewhere. FYI

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Two Caronavirus cases were reported in Venice.

Many more in northern Italy.

Venice cancelled the remainder of Carnival.

There has been one death in Padua, near Venice.

See the Italy ports forum for an article today on the topic.

 

There seems to e some conflicting information. While it is being reported that Venice has cancelled the remainder of Carnival, the webcam in St. Marks Square clearly shows it going on right now at 9:25PM (21:25) with a well attended concert.

 

Jack

 

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/venezia/piazza-san-marco.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And another drawbridge just raised...

 

3:48 pm: Austria halts train traffic with Italy

 

Austria has halted train traffic with its southern neighbor amid concern that two passengers on an in-bound train from Italy were infected with the coronavirus. Italy is grappling with the largest coronavirus outbreak outside of Asia, with more than 130 reported cases and three deaths.

 

From CNBC virus update page.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

And another drawbridge just raised...

 

3:48 pm: Austria halts train traffic with Italy

 

Austria has halted train traffic with its southern neighbor amid concern that two passengers on an in-bound train from Italy were infected with the coronavirus. Italy is grappling with the largest coronavirus outbreak outside of Asia, with more than 130 reported cases and three deaths.

 

From CNBC virus update page.

The  train traffic has been restored:

 

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-austria-briefly-halts-trains-from-italy-over-covid-19-concerns/a-52493063

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought we would be safe from the Corona Virus for our Viking Sea cruise from Venice in September, but after the recent outbreak in Northern Italy, I am concerned. We made our final payment last week but I hope with the private travel insurance we purchased we are protected. If this virus goes pandemic it could bankrupt both cruise lines and travel insurance companies, but I may be selfish because this would effect so much more than the travel industry worldwide. This could collapse the economies of a lot of countries already in trouble worldwide. As I sit here writing this post the news just said that DOW futures are down over 700 points because of the Corona Virus worries.  How long can cruise lines survive with canceled cruises and sailing with empty ships? Almost all cruise lines currently sailing in Asia are cancelling all future Asia cruises through at least May and repositioning their ships now.

Edited by terrydtx
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I thought we would be safe from the Corona Virus for our Viking Sea cruise from Venice in September, but after the recent outbreak in Northern Italy, I am concerned. We made our final payment last week but I hope with the private travel insurance we purchased we are protected. If this virus goes pandemic it could bankrupt both cruise lines and travel insurance companies, but I may be selfish because this would effect so much more than the travel industry worldwide. This could collapse the economies of a lot of countries already in trouble worldwide. As I sit here writing this post the news just said that DOW futures are down over 700 points because of the Corona Virus worries.  How long can cruise lines survive with canceled cruises and sailing with empty ships? Almost all cruise lines currently sailing in Asia are cancelling all future Asia cruises through at least May and repositioning their ships now.


September?  I’m not even going to worry about my Venice embarkation in May.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, terrydtx said:

As I sit here writing this post the news just said that DOW futures are down over 700 points because of the Corona Virus worries.

 

DH and I were talking about this. What will happen in the cruise industry is small potatoes compared to the world economy in general. China has closed its factories to stop the spread of the disease; a chunk of the global supply chain is not producing clothing, auto parts, electronic equipment, medications, etc. and soon we will start to feel the effects of these shortages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are booked for a Mediterranean cruise the end of May 2020. we are concerned about the virus, but equally concerned that the ports we are scheduled for will be closed (Venice). I do not want to pay for the trip over if we can not see the agenda items on this trip. We are 50/50 on canceling. The virus is one concern, but not seeing the areas we want is just as important to us. I need confirmation that what Viking is going will be what we will be able to see on our shore excursions. If not, then we are canceling. Also another couple is considering canceling their same trip a month before we go. I know Viking can not guarantee but I can not guarantee going if the virus is canceling the areas I want to see (and paid for). Are any of you thinking the same way???? let me know - please. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, cruise-tanker said:

I know Viking can not guarantee but I can not guarantee going if the virus is canceling the areas I want to see (and paid for).

 

First, before you rush in and cancel your trip, you should check with your insurer that if you cancel, you will be covered. You are less than a hundred days away from sailing and Viking will be keeping at least some of your money.  The closer you get, the more they will keep.

 

image.png.dbe33e1e52910bfd5214bc2112084821.png

Taken from the Passenger Ticket Contract: http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/3-191004_PassengerTicketContract.pdf

 

Second, no matter what you are told today, it cannot be guaranteed. Anything could change in the blink of an eye. If they tell you today that they are still heading to Venice, tomorrow the city could be closed. Ship happens. It is the nature of the beast.

 

Since you are dead set on going to Venice, perhaps you should start seriously looking into canceling the trip. Check with your insurance company, start talking to Viking.

 

If you can't cancel or move your booking without losing more money than you are willing to kiss good-bye, then it is time to get used to the idea that you are not going to see Venice this trip and that you are going to have to make the best of a bad situation. Prepare for the worst and maybe you will be happily surprised. To paraphrase a fellow member, travel with hopes, not expectations.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...