Cruise Critic Community
TheCount

US SIM card for Caribbean coverage

Coming in from Canada for a West Caribbean trip, and looking for a US cell/data SIM card with good coverage at a reasonable pre paid cost. Suggestions ?

Thanks in advance. 👍

Edited by TheCount

1 hour ago, TheCount said:

Coming in from Canada for a West Caribbean trip, and looking for a US cell/data SIM card with good coverage at a reasonable pre paid cost. Suggestions ?

Thanks in advance. 👍

Coming from Canada you can buy a US Prepaid SIM card that has coverage in the US and Mexico. Some of your western Caribbean ports may be in Mexico.  If you need other Caribbean countries you need something else, a Global or International SIM card. 

Edited by Charles4515

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Coming from Canada you can buy a US Prepaid SIM card that has coverage in the US and Mexico. Some of your western Caribbean ports may be in Mexico.  If you need other Caribbean countries you need something else, a Global or International SIM card. 

Thanks, my question should have been, which service carrier is ideal or best to purchase or set up for the PrePaid SIM card? A major carrier or other less known carrier/companies?? Any specific recommendations? This trip is Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel.

Edited by TheCount

I use GoogleFi as my home cell phone service. It works in over 120 countries around the world.  I used it in Jamaica, Mexico and Grand Cayman on my recent cruise.  I've also used it in China, Japan, etc. It's $20 per month for unlimited calls and texts.  Data is $10.00 per gigabyte, which is prorated - so if I only use half a gigabyte, I only pay $5.00.  Here's a link if you want to see if you can get it ... https://g.co/fi/r/6T763H

Edited by mikelan6

14 minutes ago, mikelan6 said:

I use GoogleFi as my home cell phone service. It works in over 120 countries around the world.  I used it in Jamaica, Mexico and Grand Cayman on my recent cruise.  I've also used it in China, Japan, etc. It's $20 per month for unlimited calls and texts.  Data is $10.00 per gigabyte, which is prorated - so if I only use half a gigabyte, I only pay $5.00.  Here's a link if you want to see if you can get it ... https://g.co/fi/r/6T763H

I was just going to recommend the same thing. Service works great overseas and is very cost effective. You can use them in an iPhone as well. I use it as my travel carrier and pause and unpause the service when I’m overseas. 

15 minutes ago, mikelan6 said:

They would have to have a US address and pass a US credit check to use GoogleFi or any US carrier service. 

30 minutes ago, TheCount said:

Thanks, my question should have been, which service carrier is ideal or best to purchase or set up for the PrePaid SIM card? A major carrier or other less known carrier/companies?? Any specific recommendations? This trip is Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel.

US carriers don’t have Pre Paid SIM cards that would work in Haiti or Jamaica. Not even for US citizens. US carriers have post paid plans that can roam in those ports. You would need a US address and pass a US credit check to get one of those plans. 

13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They would have to have a US address and pass a US credit check to use GoogleFi or any US carrier service. 

Credit check and US address for any US carrier postpaid service, not prepaid. However, I don’t know of any US prepaid service that allows roaming other than Canada and Mexico.

41 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Credit check and US address for any US carrier postpaid service, not prepaid. However, I don’t know of any US prepaid service that allows roaming other than Canada and Mexico.

That is what I have been explaining. No US prepaid covers roaming other than Canada and Mexico. US carriers can only roam other than that on postpaid. 

Edited by Charles4515

I would probably check with your Canadian carrier about the cost of a short term roaming plan, it can’t be that expensive. 

Thanks everyone for the input, comments, and details.

Yes, my CDN carriers has short term or other extended Roaming pkgs. Was looking to see if there was an easy US SIM card option and service.

Thank you.

I would check into an app that you install onto your phone for wifi calling.  You can use these just about anywhere internet signal is available.

I was recently on a 21 day b2b cruise in southern and western caribbean and used my xfinity connect app to make phone calls.  Worked great.  There are many different apps to choose from some will use existing phone number some will use a new number.  

@mikelan6 and @Steelers0854 I was going to suggest the same as I'm also on Fi and have used the service in Nassau and Mexico without issue.  Then I recalled, as @Charles4515 noted, that the service is for US residents only - you need an address in the US to sign up, and primary use needs to be in the US or you risk cancellation (per the ToS agreed to when signing up).