Pirate Night and Dinner dress

Hi.  I am a brand newbie on Disney with a few questions.  On Pirate Night, do people dress as pirates?  Should I buy some pirate dress ups for my grandkids? I am assuming that the dress code is very casual.  What do adults wear to the dining room during dinner seatings.

Thank you for your help.

25 minutes ago, katz said:

What do adults wear to the dining room during dinner seatings.

The only "dress code" for the main dining rooms is "no swimwear or tank tops for dinner".  Beyond that, you'll see everything from shorts/t-shirts to full on formal wear on any given night.

Our Disney fanatic friends encouraged us to bring pirate gear on our first Disney Cruise and we laughed them off, thinking that it would be silly. Boy, were we wrong, I think that at least 2/3rd of passengers were on some sort of Pirate gear. Some costumes were so elaborate that they looked like they were straight out of a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. 

Our kids seemed happy to wear Mickey pirate bandanas that were given to them at the kids club, along with a pirate Mickey painted on their faces, also courtesy of the kids club staff. 

Interestingly, that’s the night that we chose to eat at Palo because we couldn’t get reservations for any other night. So we fed the kids, took them to the kids club, had our adult dinner, then picked them up again for the pirate party and fireworks on deck. 

I may be missing something,but I don’t get the idea of glamorizing pirates on Disney cruises except that Pirates of theCaribbean movies were produced by Disney.

Afterall, weren’t pirates really thieves know for violent crimes ?

I may be over thinking this,but I just don’t get it.

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

I may be missing something,but I don’t get the idea of glamorizing pirates on Disney cruises except that Pirates of theCaribbean movies were produced by Disney.

It's just a fun thing.  Many young children like pirates (the fun ones). 

On 2/15/2020 at 11:40 PM, MJSailors said:

You're overthinking it.   While Pirates were scalawags and rogues, there was a certain romanticism to pirates, that children loved emulating and popularized by the Pirates of the Caribbean  attraction and the movies based on it. Pirates have a history in Hollywood dating back to Errol Flynn. 

Definitely bring pirate costumes for the kids. They will have much more fun if they are dressed for the. It is more optional for adults. I would encourage you to dress up and participate in all the festivities. After a dozen Disney cruises my husband and I dress up and find this is one of the things we miss when cruising other lines