Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

I myself have not taken a cruise yet.  
But my friend, who is homeless, took 30 cruises last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many of you with multiple cruise live within driving distance of the ports? The max I've done is two however I have to fly everywhere. Unless I do an Alaska Cruise every other week as I can see the ships from my office 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CruiseWendy said:

How many of you with multiple cruise live within driving distance of the ports? The max I've done is two however I have to fly everywhere. Unless I do an Alaska Cruise every other week as I can see the ships from my office 🙂

I have to fly to most ports....live in the DC area. I also work full-time...so two of my cruises this year are short (4 nights & 5 nights). This year...two short cruises out of FL, one out of California, & one from Barcelona. None will be from Baltimore or NY...although I’ve cruise from each of those ports once in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CruiseWendy said:

How many of you with multiple cruise live within driving distance of the ports? The max I've done is two however I have to fly everywhere. Unless I do an Alaska Cruise every other week as I can see the ships from my office 🙂

Seven of our 33 cruises have been to Alaska - just love those.  Must make you itch for a return trip to watch the ships from your office!

We have done 33 cruises in the 40 years since our first cruise in 1979.  The longest was 16 nights; the shortest was Disney 4 nights out of Port Canaveral.  We were working much more than '9 to 5' during 30 of those years, which meant typically 1 cruise a year!  Usually fly somewhere in the world to a port for a cruse; drove to Galveston's port for 2 cruises, nothing really exciting out of there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Never did back to back. If you ever decide to do a Halloween do it on Carnival. They do it right. We did one on Royal and they just do not do it right. They ended up cramming everyone in the atrium. That was a mess. You would not believe the fantastic way people get made up for that. You sit by the casino and watch them constantly walking by to take pictures. A lot of fun. Most of the time the crew dresses up also.

Sounds good to me! I will check into it for this year. FYI.....by back to back I meant 16 cruises in a two year span. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 in 2019. 1 from Australia (not really driving distance from home though) and 7 from US ports. Only have 1 booked for this year so far though......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder is there is a correlation between a high number of cruises and close proximity to a cruise port.  I suspect (in general) those  who live an hour or less drive from a port have more cruises per year than someone who has to fly to each cruise. 
m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justalone said:

I myself have not taken a cruise yet.  
But my friend, who is homeless, took 30 cruises last year.

Havent had permanent home in 14 yrs myself. Was on Cruise Ships 124 nites from Oct 27-2018-Nov2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Wonder is there is a correlation between a high number of cruises and close proximity to a cruise port.  I suspect (in general) those  who live an hour or less drive from a port have more cruises per year than someone who has to fly to each cruise. 
m

 

Exactly. We're retired, but having to fly [most of the time many hours] for every cruise "impacts" our cruising budget.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Wonder is there is a correlation between a high number of cruises and close proximity to a cruise port.  I suspect (in general) those  who live an hour or less drive from a port have more cruises per year than someone who has to fly to each cruise. 
m

 

I'm sure for some folks, but on the other side of the coin are folks tired of the same old cruise all the time. 

 

FWIW, this year we are only sailing from home twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

I'm sure for some folks, but on the other side of the coin are folks tired of the same old cruise all the time. 

 

FWIW, this year we are only sailing from home twice.

We have friends who sail the weekend cruise from PC at least twice each month, some even more. I agree with you....as much as I like cruising, I would tire of it. 
 

So-Only two cruises from Florida?  
m

Edited by cruisegirl1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 - 3 per year on average. This year a 12 nighter(Celebrity Silhouette - first time on Celebrity) in March and a B2B(RC Liberty) in Aug/Sept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Never did back to back. If you ever decide to do a Halloween do it on Carnival. They do it right. We did one on Royal and they just do not do it right. They ended up cramming everyone in the atrium. That was a mess. You would not believe the fantastic way people get made up for that. You sit by the casino and watch them constantly walking by to take pictures. A lot of fun. Most of the time the crew dresses up also.

 

Try a royal ship with a royal promenade.  Quite the festivity.  We did the Symphony TA in 2018.  Amazing amount of costumes and the quality was off the charts.

 

jc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We have friends who sail the weekend cruise from PC at least twice each month, some even more. I agree with you....as much as I like cruising, I would tire of it. 
 

So-Only two cruises from Florida?  
m

 

No, from PC (your 100 mile qualifier)

Oasis - Miami

Mariner - PC

Harmony - PC

Allure -Ft Lauderdale/Barcelona

Liberty - Galveston

Odyssey - Ft Lauderdale 

Oasis - Miami

 

Should have been Jewel -Rome/Dubai, but Royal cancelled

 

Nothing booked out of PC for 2021, but we are flying to Sydney, Singapore, and Barcelona. The Barcelona voyage does end up at home. That's  nice

 

So, we don't tire of cruising, just that same weekend trip over and over.  Unless the casino gives them away like last summer😉

 

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three cruises in one calendar year.  Four days in one 12 month period.  This was abnormal, we usually do one cruise a year.  21 days at sea during one year.

 

While not within an hour drive time (or 100 miles) for all of the ports we cruise from.  One is, the other two are within a short a 5 or 6 hour drive (we like to either drive down the day before or halfway down.  If we had to fly, we would not be doing as many cruises.  We do fly "speciality" cruieses (Med, TA)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...