Jump to content

Advice sought for Southampton to Heathrow


Spideysmum
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yes, I know how to do it...but not as quickly as possible   Dilemma is that I’ve booked daughter and Boyfriend onto cruise with us and they are still not committed (it’s in 2021 with refundable deposit)   The current airline schedule shows a flight direct to SFO at 12:20 pm    Daughter says they want to get back ASAP ...directly  no stopovers   I’m using miles so am rather stuck with this airline   Cruise ends at 6 am on a Sunday   I’m thinking if they self disembarked that it should be doable   Nothing is certain, of course , and neither of them are placid nor easy going   I want to assure them I’ll do my best to get them home to their demanding jobs   
 

Has anyone any suggestions for transfers or private car that are reliable and travel like bats out of hell?    I’d like to have a few months of anticipating a fun time onboard with them   🤷‍♀️

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cannot speak directly to Southampton to Heathrow...we only did a transfer from Heathrow to Southampton prior to our cruise.  Our plans changed coming back...we were coming from Cardiff, Wales so we took a train.

 

However, you might want to take a look at the website below.  They have LOTS of great information regarding everything London oriented.  We've used several of their recommendations for a previous trip last year.

 

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_cruise_shuttles.htm

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Spideysmum said:

Yes, I know how to do it...but not as quickly as possible   Dilemma is that I’ve booked daughter and Boyfriend onto cruise with us and they are still not committed (it’s in 2021 with refundable deposit)   The current airline schedule shows a flight direct to SFO at 12:20 pm    Daughter says they want to get back ASAP ...directly  no stopovers   I’m using miles so am rather stuck with this airline   Cruise ends at 6 am on a Sunday   I’m thinking if they self disembarked that it should be doable   Nothing is certain, of course , and neither of them are placid nor easy going   I want to assure them I’ll do my best to get them home to their demanding jobs   
 

Has anyone any suggestions for transfers or private car that are reliable and travel like bats out of hell?    I’d like to have a few months of anticipating a fun time onboard with them   🤷‍♀️

 

 

Princess suggestion for the earliest flights is 2pm I believe.

Can you make it? Maybe.

Lots of factors come into play that could affect getting to Heathrow with the required cushion for the flight.

We would not take the chance.

Also try posting this question on the UK ports board.

 

Try this company.    http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Besides this Princess forum - I would also pose this question(s) on The Port Of Call – Britain.  This forum will provide a more robust functionality for your questions.  Fellow cruisers often provide anecdotal information about their experiences.   Many topics are covered like: Hotels suggestions, public & private transportation, excursions, currency, theater tickets, interesting things to do, etc.  This forum will be specific to that travel destination.  In this case -- Britain.

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it possible to do?  Probably, but you would need to be off the ship as early as they will let you (self-disembark) and hire a private car service.  You'll pay a premium over using more traditional types of transfer.  I personally would not try it...not worth the worry and stress after what should be a nice relaxing cruise!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mom2labs said:

We used Smith’s for Airport.  Southampton to Heathrow is a distance though.  It took us about 2 hrs on a weekday. 

 

We've used Smith's twice with excellent results. 

 

OP - Mom2labs brings up another consideration.  Traffic inbound to London on a weekday is heavy with lots of commuter traffic so timing can be problematic.  On a weekend, barring accidents, I'd say give yourself at least 1 1/2 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay...most of you guys think it’s risky   I’ve thought of just buying airfare for them as there is a BA flight to SFO but just seems silly  when I’m overloaded with air miles    They are both rather volatile individuals and to posters Rick & Jeannie -I’m really not expecting a “relaxing cruise” with them anyway  (They are fun and excitable and highly stressed)    I think I will work on talking them into an airport hotel for that night  while we head on to London for a couple of days to de-stress ourselves   
 

Thanks everyone  😻

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Spideysmum said:

Okay...most of you guys think it’s risky   I’ve thought of just buying airfare for them as there is a BA flight to SFO but just seems silly  when I’m overloaded with air miles    They are both rather volatile individuals and to posters Rick & Jeannie -I’m really not expecting a “relaxing cruise” with them anyway  (They are fun and excitable and highly stressed)    I think I will work on talking them into an airport hotel for that night  while we head on to London for a couple of days to de-stress ourselves   
 

Thanks everyone  😻

I think that is the best answer.  Book them in a hotel and they can take the next days flight.  Then know one has to stress about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a 12:20 pm flight last June from Heathrow when we were on the Crown Princess.  We took the Princess transfer from Southampton and were at the airport at 10am.  We had to sit around and wait for an hour before the gate at terminal 3 opened. Just our experience, everyone has a different answer.

Edited by Diver2014
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that the bus and train stations are not close to the cruise terminal in Southampton. You would need to factor in a taxi from the cruise port to the station. We cruised both into and out of Southampton last summer and used the National Express bus to and from London, but if you hit traffic it can be a slow trip. If I were on a tight schedule I'd book the ship's transfer to the airport, definitely not the least expensive but most likely to get you off the ship quickly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If daughter wants to get home ASAP, I do not understand how overnight at the airport

or London will help. The Princess transfer is currently $59.00 pp each way. They have a stake 

to get you there on time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, nini said:

If daughter wants to get home ASAP, I do not understand how overnight at the airport

or London will help. The Princess transfer is currently $59.00 pp each way. They have a stake 

to get you there on time.

I’d sure like that...price, actually is no object...but on the Princess website this is the wording:

 “Earliest International Flight Departure from Heathrow airport for London (Southampton):
7 hours after ship's arrival.”   

 

Ship docks 6 AM   Scheduled San Francisco flight 12:20 PM     I’m positive that it COULD be done but....lol  

 

Thanks everyone for the input   I’ve got months before they really commit so things all around could change  😀😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nini said:

We will be doing the BI cruise this September and have booked the Princess transfer.

Our flight is scheduled to take off 8.5 hours after we dock. Can they catch a later flight?

 

Your flight sounds very safe   My kid and her BF are high maintenance and only want direct flights   This 12:20 pm is the latest united flight (my air miles) so far   But..it’s early   Things can change  

Have a fun time on your BI cruise   We did that in 2017 and loved it  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the 12:20 flight on a Sunday is doable if you use a private car service. We docked at Southampton on a Sunday this past June and had a car waiting for us at 7am (the ship docked earlier but it takes awhile to clear customs and get the gangways set up, etc. before passengers can disembark) and were at Heathrow by 8:30am. I booked it through International Friends and the car service they used was called Discover the South, based in Southampton. Would highly recommend them. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

I think the 12:20 flight on a Sunday is doable if you use a private car service. We docked at Southampton on a Sunday this past June and had a car waiting for us at 7am (the ship docked earlier but it takes awhile to clear customs and get the gangways set up, etc. before passengers can disembark) and were at Heathrow by 8:30am. I booked it through International Friends and the car service they used was called Discover the South, based in Southampton. Would highly recommend them. 

Good info    Thanks   I’ll add to my list of suggestions  

Btw...are you from Rocklin CA?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spideysmum, we were on a cruise where first there was a heli-med evacuation on the final night and during that someone jumped overboard committing suicide in the English Channel  and our ship searched for them until the wee hours.  We got into Southampton at 7:30am - very late, and luggage was a mess due to our late arrival - didn't get our priority luggage until 8:15am but we were still at Heathrow by 10:30am.  One of the ladies who was sharing the ride with us panicked and jumped in a taxi (we passed her on the motorway 15 minutes later.) Don't stress.  Book a car service or use the train, they will make it in plenty of time even if something unexpected happens.

 

Edited by SuiteTraveler
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Spideysmum said:

Your flight sounds very safe   My kid and her BF are high maintenance and only want direct flights   This 12:20 pm is the latest united flight (my air miles) so far   But..it’s early   Things can change  

Have a fun time on your BI cruise   We did that in 2017 and loved it  

Ours is a direct flight from LHR to Seattle. There are no non-stops that afternoon for them from London to the West Coast?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...