Help with Shore Excursions for a family

mjk62

I will be on the Liberty of the Seas with my family in March.  We have my husband and I, 4 grown children and 2 grandchildren (ages 3 and 5).   What are some suggestions that all will enjoy in Belize.  Especially something that the kids won't be bored doing.   Problem is my husband hates beaches and the heat.  He probably would like the ruins but not the whole family.   My granddaughter is a tiny 3 year old so limits us somewhat.    Any suggestions?

I would try the Howler Monkey Sanctuary excursion, it's perfect for the family and the kids would love it. Also you'll be in the shade most of the trip since you're in the forest . We've booked with waytogotoursbelize.com for this excursion. They don't take large groups like the cruise ship, so the experience is way more personalized. 

We booked through King David Castillo for the day. We first went to the Community Baboon Sanctuary (some people also call it the howler monkey sanctuary like iambeast said) where we went into the jungle to see the wild howler monkeys. They came down from the trees and ate fruit from my boys hands. That was the highlight of their day. From there we went to Altun Ha ruins which was neat to see. After that we went to a local school and donated school supplies and interacted with the students and teachers there. It was really a great experience. After we left the school we went to lunch, then we went shopping and rode around site-seeing in Belize. We had an amazing day and loved Belize.

12 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

We booked through King David Castillo for the day. We first went to the Community Baboon Sanctuary (some people also call it the howler monkey sanctuary like iambeast said) where we went into the jungle to see the wild howler monkeys. They came down from the trees and ate fruit from my boys hands. That was the highlight of their day. From there we went to Altun Ha ruins which was neat to see. After that we went to a local school and donated school supplies and interacted with the students and teachers there. It was really a great experience. After we left the school we went to lunch, then we went shopping and rode around site-seeing in Belize. We had an amazing day and loved Belize.

Thank you for this info. Very helpful.  May I ask how old were your kids.  Did they like the ruins?

9 hours ago, mjk62 said:

Thank you for this info. Very helpful.  May I ask how old were your kids.  Did they like the ruins?

They were 7 & 15. The ruins were meh to them. Then again, they aren't interested in things like that nor outdoor things. My oldest liked climbing to the top and seeing everything. That was about it. 

My grandkids are so fascinated by the ruins and history that one of them rebuilt Lamanai out of the little chocolate marshmellows for a school exibit and told about his trip to Belize.  They also loved the monkeys.  Having a great tour guide will help.  They love the zoo so much that they always want to spend one night at the zoo before departing so that they can go at night and see the big cats out feeding.

International travel with children is more about what parents help make for young children than what the children's interests are.  If the parents start out, I know you are going to be bored, but daddy really wants to see ruins, then that is what it will be.  If you tell them to Google Lamanai or Altun Ha and ask them to report to you what they found interesting about where they may be going then they tend to really find something interesting about different cultures.  Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

Grandkids with three passports each, having visited over 20 countries and still under age 14.

Janice

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 8:03 AM, Pssunshinegal said:

My grandkids are so fascinated by the ruins and history that one of them rebuilt Lamanai out of the little chocolate marshmellows for a school exibit and told about his trip to Belize.  They also loved the monkeys.  Having a great tour guide will help.  They love the zoo so much that they always want to spend one night at the zoo before departing so that they can go at night and see the big cats out feeding.

International travel with children is more about what parents help make for young children than what the children's interests are.  If the parents start out, I know you are going to be bored, but daddy really wants to see ruins, then that is what it will be.  If you tell them to Google Lamanai or Altun Ha and ask them to report to you what they found interesting about where they may be going then they tend to really find something interesting about different cultures.  Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

Grandkids with three passports each, having visited over 20 countries and still under age 14.

Janice

Thank you Janice.  Which tour guide did you use?  My grandkids are being raised in Austria and travel all over so they have their share of cultural experiences.   But they are 3 and 5 so just trying to find stuff that they will enjoy as well.

MJK62,  Wonderful to see children travel and live abroad.  Their shared experiences as they become older is my hope for better understanding of the world.  I am sorry that I cannot tell you the name of a tour guide that services the cruise travelers because I live here and use guides from San Pedro.  With the age of the children, I would look for a private guide and ask about doing the zoo.  The zoo in Belize is not like any zoo in the world.  I have posted about it and explained the difference so if you search on zoo you are likely to find out why I think your grandchildren would have a wonderful visit.  If you could find a private guide, then you could also do Altun Ha because you would be in a private air conditioned van and could spend as much or as little time as you wish at the ruins.  For lunch if this all happens, I would HIGHLY recommend Cheers for lunch which is one mile past the zoo and the guides would know it well.  Excellent mix of local food and international food.  Hope you have a great trip.

Janice