Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
LittleFish1976

Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

Recommended Posts

Back to the question of direct impacts on passengers:  The Washington Post is reporting that two days ago the cruise industry gave the US Government a proposed action plan that includes requiring all passengers age 70 and older to produce a doctor's note certifying they are physically fit to cruise.  I wonder if this is driven by fear of legal liability to passengers who claim to have been infected on board, or just a last gasp (so to speak) before the US Government simply shuts down cruises from the US (which the US public health authorities reportedly are urging Trump to do).

 

As to recovering funds from bankrupt cruise lines, if you paid by credit card (in the US) your card issuer will make it good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got this. Any idea what could happen- full refund?

 

gosh it’s so heartbreaking to see my most fave industry unravelling 😭

 

 

in light of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, the UK Government has issued advice against cruise ship travel for British nationals aged 70 and over and people with pre-existing health conditions. 


We understand if you are concerned by this advice. As your voyage is departing outside 14 days, we will be in touch as soon as possible with further guidance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

But to be fair - the main reason QE sold out was the ridiculously low prices being offered. I managed to get a Q4 penthouse suite  for the 25 day relocation cruise to Vancouver for the same daily rate as I have paid for an inside cabin for the following cruise out of Vancouver - and with the 25% extra compensation for our cancelled Japan/Alaska cruise taken into account , the daily rate for the Penthouse worked out to be half what I have paid for an inside cabin!! 🙂 I didn't really even want to do the relocation cruise as we have been across the Pacific a few times - but this would have been the only opportunity for us to ever travel in Queens Grill. Looks like it is perilously close to disappearing into the Ether along with our cash payments which may also disappear forever if either Cunard or my TA go belly-up!!! 

It’s a shame that most if not all of the posts on here are concerned with monetary gripes and whinging about obc appearing then disappearing. Yes, we work hard to pay for our cruises but at the end of the day they are a luxury we choose to take. The folk who man the desks at all cruise line hq, the port authority staff, the officers and engineers and the bar staff, housekeepers, chefs, restaurant and security staff - all stand to lose their and possibly their family’s only source of income if things get worse. It’s not nice for the many people in the cruise industry to read speculative posts on boards like this about companies going belly up. That’s their livelihood. We owe them a measure of respect by not talking down their companies and employers. I for one will be putting my confidence in the cruise industry by taking my cruise in June and if it’s cancelled, I’ll be rebooking first later in the year. Others may wish to cancel - for whatever reason - and that’s fine too. But please don’t traduce and speculate about the livelihoods and possible demise of the companies who’ve served us well in times past. As my later mother would say - if you’ve got nothing positive to add to the conversation then keep quiet! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

Just got this. Any idea what could happen- full refund?

 

gosh it’s so heartbreaking to see my most fave industry unravelling 😭

 

 

in light of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, the UK Government has issued advice against cruise ship travel for British nationals aged 70 and over and people with pre-existing health conditions. 


We understand if you are concerned by this advice. As your voyage is departing outside 14 days, we will be in touch as soon as possible with further guidance. 

Also received. Sounds as if Cunard are moving rapidly towards full cancellation. QV is in the Caribbean right now and will be back in U.K. waters at the end of the month. 14 days time. That’s when the Canaries and the subsequent Spain cruises will be pulled is my guess. Hold tight, don’t cancel and wait for refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Roger Ackroyd said:

Also received. Sounds as if Cunard are moving rapidly towards full cancellation. QV is in the Caribbean right now and will be back in U.K. waters at the end of the month. 14 days time. That’s when the Canaries and the subsequent Spain cruises will be pulled is my guess. Hold tight, don’t cancel and wait for refund.

Thanks!!! Do keep me updated if anything. Another one in our party is 62. Do u think this will impact at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bodsfanclub said:

It’s a shame that most if not all of the posts on here are concerned with monetary gripes and whinging about obc appearing then disappearing. Yes, we work hard to pay for our cruises but at the end of the day they are a luxury we choose to take. The folk who man the desks at all cruise line hq, the port authority staff, the officers and engineers and the bar staff, housekeepers, chefs, restaurant and security staff - all stand to lose their and possibly their family’s only source of income if things get worse. It’s not nice for the many people in the cruise industry to read speculative posts on boards like this about companies going belly up. That’s their livelihood. We owe them a measure of respect by not talking down their companies and employers. I for one will be putting my confidence in the cruise industry by taking my cruise in June and if it’s cancelled, I’ll be rebooking first later in the year. Others may wish to cancel - for whatever reason - and that’s fine too. But please don’t traduce and speculate about the livelihoods and possible demise of the companies who’ve served us well in times past. As my later mother would say - if you’ve got nothing positive to add to the conversation then keep quiet! 

You have your opinion and I respect that but Cunard have been paid a very good price by me, my husband and thousands of other people who choose Cunard. They set the price to maximise their profit. We are not however, as much as we respect the crew, a charity and it is Cunard as their employers who are duty bound to look after them not us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Roger Ackroyd said:

Also received. Sounds as if Cunard are moving rapidly towards full cancellation. QV is in the Caribbean right now and will be back in U.K. waters at the end of the month. 14 days time. That’s when the Canaries and the subsequent Spain cruises will be pulled is my guess. Hold tight, don’t cancel and wait for refund.

My husband is 75 so can we get a full refund from Cunard or our travel agent or our insurers? Not sure where to go to first or even if it's FO travel advice even, in which case we're covered by travel insurance. Totally confused. M009 - departing LHR 26th March for Cape Town for embarkation 1st April 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bodsfanclub said:

It’s a shame that most if not all of the posts on here are concerned with monetary gripes and whinging about obc appearing then disappearing. Yes, we work hard to pay for our cruises but at the end of the day they are a luxury we choose to take. The folk who man the desks at all cruise line hq, the port authority staff, the officers and engineers and the bar staff, housekeepers, chefs, restaurant and security staff - all stand to lose their and possibly their family’s only source of income if things get worse. It’s not nice for the many people in the cruise industry to read speculative posts on boards like this about companies going belly up. That’s their livelihood. We owe them a measure of respect by not talking down their companies and employers. I for one will be putting my confidence in the cruise industry by taking my cruise in June and if it’s cancelled, I’ll be rebooking first later in the year. Others may wish to cancel - for whatever reason - and that’s fine too. But please don’t traduce and speculate about the livelihoods and possible demise of the companies who’ve served us well in times past. As my later mother would say - if you’ve got nothing positive to add to the conversation then keep quiet! 

Here, here. We'll also be keeping our bookings. But I've planned for various contingencies. If we're not allowed into New York we may join you on the trip up the Canadian Coast! And everything is paid on cards that are jointly liable, and also covered by insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can cancel this cruise now and get the money back in the form of credit for a future cruise.

 

If Cunard cancel the cruise you should be entitled to a cash refund.

 

I suggest you try to claim airline tickets and hotels on your travel insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, siforest65 said:

Our QV trip to Spain on April 16th looks very fragile. I know it’s after the date given in this ban but it doesn’t look optimistic.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/international/2020/03/12/63989/spanish-government-bans-cruise-ships.html

Same cruise as myself. If this holds then I can see no point in Cunard taking us down there, cruising by Malaga, Seville and Granada and then coming back. They may as well just go round the Isle of Wight for 10 days....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Roger Ackroyd said:

Same cruise as myself. If this holds then I can see no point in Cunard taking us down there, cruising by Malaga, Seville and Granada and then coming back. They may as well just go round the Isle of Wight for 10 days....

They aren’t going to go at all, clearly.   No port wants a cruise ship in right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, siforest65 said:

Our QV trip to Spain on April 16th looks very fragile. I know it’s after the date given in this ban but it doesn’t look optimistic.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/international/2020/03/12/63989/spanish-government-bans-cruise-ships.html

We are on April 25th eastbound TA. It is highly likely now that this cruise will not go ahead although . I have not cancelled yet for 40/60 refund I shall wait and see. It is unlikely the westbound TA April 18th will sail so the eastbound is defacto cancelled at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the 3rd May cruise from Soton to Norway on the QV.

 

Norway has banned people from outside Nordic countries (i'm a Brit and will be boarding in Soton) until the 26th March. Hoping it doesn't get extended as I'd kind of like to go on this trip. Got a truckload of OBC!

 

It's super unprecedented times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ynox said:

I'm on the 3rd May cruise from Soton to Norway on the QV.

 

Norway has banned people from outside Nordic countries (i'm a Brit and will be boarding in Soton) until the 26th March. Hoping it doesn't get extended as I'd kind of like to go on this trip. Got a truckload of OBC!

 

It's super unprecedented times.

Almost certain you won’t be going, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cunard facebook posting from 4 minutes ago

 

UK Gov has advised against cruise ship travel for people aged 70+ & people with pre-existing health conditions. We understand if you're concerned by this. For cruises departing within 14 days, call 0344 338 8636 from 9am tomorrow. If outside 14 days, we'll contact you shortly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

 

I'm booked on the Queen Victoria's April 26 cruise from Southampton. I'm holding on to see what happens. If the cruise is canceled, I should receive a full refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Folks

 

We are booked on QE leaving for a cruise around the north Island of Ne Zealand

Cunards Australian season looks to be fairly solid with cruises around Australia , coastal cruises and  loops around New Zealand .

I dont think there is a more stable situation than these cruises anywhere in the world at the moment .. I'm fairly sure our April 1st departure will not make April fools of us

 

Regards

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Cunard facebook posting from 4 minutes ago

 

UK Gov has advised against cruise ship travel for people aged 70+ & people with pre-existing health conditions. We understand if you're concerned by this. For cruises departing within 14 days, call 0344 338 8636 from 9am tomorrow. If outside 14 days, we'll contact you shortly

 

Yes exactly. He said:

"We advise all those over 70 with serious medical conditions against going on cruises and we advise against international school trips."

 

And yet my emails from Cunard and P&O say:

 

in light of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, the UK Government has issued advice against cruise ship travel for British nationals aged 70 and over and people with pre-existing health conditions.
We understand if you are concerned by this advice. As your voyage is departing outside 14 days, we will be in touch as soon as possible with further guidance.

 

So they have replaced the word "with" to "and" which makes a difference.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

 

Yes exactly. He said:

"We advise all those over 70 with serious medical conditions against going on cruises and we advise against international school trips."

 

And yet my emails from Cunard and P&O say:

 

in light of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, the UK Government has issued advice against cruise ship travel for British nationals aged 70 and over and people with pre-existing health conditions.
We understand if you are concerned by this advice. As your voyage is departing outside 14 days, we will be in touch as soon as possible with further guidance.

 

So they have replaced the word "with" to "and" which makes a difference.

 

Boris likely misspoke.  All the evidence is that it is age OR medical conditions that present a risk.  You don’t necessarily need both.  People with both shouldn’t be travelling at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Boris likely misspoke.  All the evidence is that it is age OR medical conditions that present a risk.  You don’t necessarily need both.  People with both shouldn’t be travelling at all.

 

Hmmm but why not .. I have a problem with my spine , it will never get any better  I use a small mobility scooter , I suffer a great deal with pain and have medication to help control it  , I am 73 y/o and have a number of health issues .

However I still intend to enjoy my life as much as possible , I dont expect that I have very many years left to me  so I intend to enjoy my cruising for as long as possible  and if the corona virus gets me ..well you gotta go sometime 

 

Regards

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

 

Yes exactly. He said:

"We advise all those over 70 with serious medical conditions against going on cruises and we advise against international school trips."

 

And yet my emails from Cunard and P&O say:

 

in light of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, the UK Government has issued advice against cruise ship travel for British nationals aged 70 and over and people with pre-existing health conditions.
We understand if you are concerned by this advice. As your voyage is departing outside 14 days, we will be in touch as soon as possible with further guidance.

 

So they have replaced the word "with" to "and" which makes a difference.

 

The FCO website says and so I think the error was the PM's.

 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

 

Hmmm but why not .. I have a problem with my spine , it will never get any better  I use a small mobility scooter , I suffer a great deal with pain and have medication to help control it  , I am 73 y/o and have a number of health issues .

However I still intend to enjoy my life as much as possible , I dont expect that I have very many years left to me  so I intend to enjoy my cruising for as long as possible  and if the corona virus gets me ..well you gotta go sometime 

 

Regards

John

 

6 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

well you gotta go sometime 

AND, even more importantly   -- YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!  🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

We are on April 25th eastbound TA. It is highly likely now that this cruise will not go ahead although . I have not cancelled yet for 40/60 refund I shall wait and see. It is unlikely the westbound TA April 18th will sail so the eastbound is defacto cancelled at that point.

My husband and dog are on the 18th of April TA. I sure hope Cunard continues this cruise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

 

AND, even more importantly   -- YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!  🙂 

Hi Bazza

 

I had a relation who made a determined effort to take it all with him ........oh dear his kids spent it real fast

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...