Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here is what I am seeing for what has changed in the new UK Flexible booking policy. Please correct me if I have misunderstood any of this.

First of all, nothing has changed for the voyages that Cunard has already cancelled (through April 11). They are still offering either a full refund or 125% FCC.

The significant changes are in the cancellation schedules for those voyages that Cunard has not yet cancelled (up to August 31). The previous flexible booking terms offered a refund of the refundable portion of the fare plus FCC in the amount of the non-refundable portion. For reference, here is the previous flexible booking terms cancellation schedule for Cunard and Early Saver Fares which is no longer in effect (highlighting mine).

Cunard Fare and Early Saver Fare.

Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by Cunard

Original cancellation charges
Percentage of total fare charged

New Temporary Policy (assuming voyage paid for in full by required date)
Percentage of total fare refunded and FCC applied:

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure

100% of deposit

FCC given to value of deposit

90 to 57 days

50% of fare

Refund 50%; FCC 50%

56 to 42 days

60% of fare

Refund 40%; FCC 60%

41 to 16 days

75% of fare

Refund 25%; FCC 75%

15 to 6 days

90% of fare

Refund 10%; FCC 90%

5 to 2 days

100% of fare

Refund 0%; FCC 100%

Less than 2 days

100% of fare

Refund 0%; FCC 0%

Here is what the new UK flexible booking terms cancellation schedule looks like for voyages departing from April 12 to August 31 (highlighting mine).

For all fare types.

Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by Cunard

Original cancellation charges
Percentage of total fare charged

Updated Temporary Policy (assuming voyage paid for in full by required date)
FCC applied

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure

100% of deposit

FCC given to value of deposit

90 to 57 days

50% of fare

110% FCC

56 to 42 days

60% of fare

110% FCC

41 to 16 days

75% of fare

110% FCC

15 to 6 days

90% of fare

110% FCC

5 to 2 days

100% of fare

110% FCC

Less than 2 days

100% of fare

0% FCC

So essentially, if you now decide in the UK to cancel a voyage departing up to August 31 under their flexible booking terms, they have sweetened the offer to 110% of the total fare paid, but the catch is you get that all in FCC, none of it is refunded to you anymore.

Nothing similar has been posted on the US site yet. As alc13 indicated, the flexible booking terms as stated on the US site are still "Canceled bookings will receive a Future Cruise Credit equivalent to the cancelation fees and refunds will be given on any remaining funds paid." Also, the cutoff date for cancellations in the US is still July 31 rather than August 31 as it is in the UK.

Bummer! So it’s all FCC or pray it gets cancelled if u want any semblance of money back? Eeek!

"The new terms apply to all guests, including British Nationals aged 70 or over and people with underlying health conditions."

Previously:

British Nationals aged 70 and over and people with underlying health conditions:

Should you wish to cancel:

"We are offering you a Future Cruise Credit of 125% to the amount of your cancellation fee."

2 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

Bummer! So it’s all FCC or pray it gets cancelled if u want any semblance of money back? Eeek!

if you are praying that your cruise will be cancelled then, unusually, I expect your prayer to be granted.

13 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

"The new terms apply to all guests, including British Nationals aged 70 or over and people with underlying health conditions."

Previously:

British Nationals aged 70 and over and people with underlying health conditions:

"We are offering you a Future Cruise Credit of 125% to the amount of your cancellation fee."

One of the weaknesses of the cruise industry is that it has been willing to accept passengers who are clearly in extremely poor health, sometimes resulting in diversions of ships to meet airlifting helicopters or dead bodies having to be carried in the ship’s mortuary to the next port.

One good thing that may come out of this crisis is enhanced passenger screening and companies refusing to accept bookings from people who are demonstrably already in poor health.  If you are already seriously ill you really shouldn’t be expecting anyone to be carrying you aboard ship to far flung parts of the world.

Edited by IB2
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Previously:

Good catch. That does appear to be another change to the UK flexible booking terms. It looks like British Nationals aged 70 or over and people with underlying health conditions that now cancel a future voyage under the flexible booking terms will be offered 110% of the total fare as FCC the same as everyone else, rather than 125% of the cancellation fee as FCC.

37 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Carnival now announcing that it is offering a range of its cruise ships across its various companies as hospital ships for Coronavirus victims.

That is one free cruise I think I will decline.

• Like 2

Here is my take on what Cunard is doing. 1. Only cancelling cruises for 30 days( ridiculous)  so if you cancel a cruise farther out than that they get to keep your money or maybe you get fcc. 2 .no change in final payment date. Unlike Princess who has gone to 60 days, i still have to pay 120 days in advance for Sept 11. They hope I pay so they can keep all my money .

only option is to cancel before final pay date and get deposit back  ( us)and rebook 2-3 weeks before cruise if things look better .I understand why they are doing this but as a new Cunard cruiser it does not give me warm feelings about what they do when something goes wrong. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I'm writing on behalf of my parents (as down the line I will be the one who will have to contact Cunard about all this).

They were sailing from Sydney to Southampton, and in Perth when they heard an announcement that due to the global worsening of the COVID-19 pandemic some ports will be closed to passengers, they decided to pack their bags after breakfast and disembark since the risk in general was getting too high (they are in their 70's).

As it turns out, Cunard shortly came to the same conclusion and cleared the ship of almost all pax.

What is the current refund policy (I assume it is not automatic?)? I must also state that due to their age they would prefer a refund than toy around with any FCC offered...

All help is much appreciated in these tough times.

9 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

Hmm - it actually doesn't say what happens IF Cunard cancels the cruise. Can we "assume" that they would refund the fare??? 

9 hours ago, IB2 said:

if you are praying that your cruise will be cancelled then, unusually, I expect your prayer to be granted.

BUT there seems to me to be a bit of a trap being laid by Cunard - if you cancel up to 2 days before deoarture, then you get 110% FCC - but if you cancel in the last 2 days m you get nothing! Cunard now have a history of cancelling on the day of departure. They are playing Poker with us!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, astera said:

Hi everyone, I'm writing on behalf of my parents (as down the line I will be the one who will have to contact Cunard about all this).

They were sailing from Sydney to Southampton, and in Perth when they heard an announcement that due to the global worsening of the COVID-19 pandemic some ports will be closed to passengers, they decided to pack their bags after breakfast and disembark since the risk in general was getting too high (they are in their 70's).

As it turns out, Cunard shortly came to the same conclusion and cleared the ship of almost all pax.

What is the current refund policy (I assume it is not automatic?)? I must also state that due to their age they would prefer a refund than toy around with any FCC offered...

All help is much appreciated in these tough times.

Call the company that made their reservation , whether a travel agent or Cunard directly.  You will get the most accurate information there.  Good luck -

10 hours ago, IB2 said:

Carnival now announcing that it is offering a range of its cruise ships across its various companies as hospital ships for Coronavirus victims.

The offer has been made for NON-coronavirus cases in order to relieve pressure on land-based hospitals. Given incorrect information has been posted here, I will include the press release from Carnival Corp.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-extends-offer-governments-and-health

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The offer has been made for NON-coronavirus cases in order to relieve pressure on land-based hospitals. Given incorrect information has been posted here, I will include the press release from Carnival Corp.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-extends-offer-governments-and-health

Could work for non infectious cases; otherwise the venitllation systems might actually spread disease as was alleged on the Diamond Princess.  I bet California could use a few cruise ships to house the homeless though.

US State Dept issued a Do Not Travel advisory yesterday -

Global Health Advisory
March 19, 2020

Level 4: Do Not Travel

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.  In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.  U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel. 

The UK government, based on the advice of its scientists, is today advising that significant elements of the ‘social distancing’ measures currently in place will need to continue for at least the remainder of 2020, given that no vaccine or cure is likely to be ready for rollout within that time period.

On this basis it is reasonable to foresee that any resumption of cruising this year looks most unlikely.

2 hours ago, IB2 said:

The UK government, based on the advice of its scientists, is today advising that significant elements of the ‘social distancing’ measures currently in place will need to continue for at least the remainder of 2020, given that no vaccine or cure is likely to be ready for rollout within that time period.

On this basis it is reasonable to foresee that any resumption of cruising this year looks most unlikely.

Glad I took the cash component, I hope it shows up.

I really wish they would relax the rules on fcc and let us transfer to an existing booking. I would then move our yet to be cancelled April 16th cruise credit to our Baltic cruise next June and at least Cunard retain my cash.

At this rate they will have more fcc than capacity of cruises available in the timeframe they are stipulating.

Facts versus opinions

When relaying information from other sources, it helps a lot to include the precise source.
This allows others to read the exact text, think for themselves and come to their own conclusions, as it affects their situation.
Hot links and web pages of companies/governments/etc. are an excellent source for this.
Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siforest65 said:

I really wish they would relax the rules on fcc and let us transfer to an existing booking. I would then move our yet to be cancelled April 16th cruise credit to our Baltic cruise next June and at least Cunard retain my cash.

At this rate they will have more fcc than capacity of cruises available in the timeframe they are stipulating.

Very True, I will likely cancel my 22 July , 2020 crossing, because I cannot apply the FCD to my 22 July 2021 crossing. I will keep the cash, Thank you very much. 

For those of you who are interested in such things & apologies in advance if this has already been posted but I have been advised of the locations where The Cunard fleet is to be laid up.
Queen Elizabeth - Gladstone Australia (Already in position)
Queen Mary 2 - QEII Terminal Southampton U.K.
Queen Victoria - Portland U.K.

Most of The P&O fleet will be positioned in either Southampton, Portland or Dover.

So sad to see the industry come to this.

Stay safe everyone....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Guest SilverHengroen
46 minutes ago, DarrenBG said:

For those of you who are interested in such things & apologies in advance if this has already been posted but I have been advised of the locations where The Cunard fleet is to be laid up.
Queen Elizabeth - Gladstone Australia (Already in position)
Queen Mary 2 - QEII Terminal Southampton U.K.
Queen Victoria - Portland U.K.

Most of The P&O fleet will be positioned in either Southampton, Portland or Dover.

So sad to see the industry come to this.

Stay safe everyone....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you happen to know if Allure of the Seas will be staying in Southampton for the duration of this scenario as well? She's currently in up there, but not sure if she will be departing? I don't think there are all that many ports in the UK that can conveniently hold ships of her/ QM2's size. 

On a lighter aside, Portland Harbour/ Weymouth and Chesil Beach is quite scenic, perhaps an idea for Queen Victoria's future around-Britain trips? 🙂

So it looks like I have  an option if I make the final pay on my sept 11 cruise on May 14 ( The final Pay  date ) You can transfer your voyage to a different voyage free of charge. This option is available until July 31, 2020

Am I reading this right?

Edited by oskidunker