Jump to content

Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Has anyone been able to get refunds from airline for non-refundable tickets following a cruise cancelation?

 

Only when the actual flight was cancelled by the air operator.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

 

I am booked on the Queen Elizabeth's pacific coastal cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver that is scheduled to depart on May 30, 2020. I reserved a Queens Grill suite. Of course, I realize that the Canadian ports are closed through June and this cruise will be cancelled. However, a Cunard concierge contacted my travel agent today and asked if I have any special requests. It seems strange that they would bother to contact my travel when this cruise won't take place.

 

Chuck

 

For some reason Cunard is still accepting bookings for the Vancouver-Alaska season starting on the 2nd of June. Holland America and Princess are selling Alaska cruises from Vancouver starting in mid-May.  The same applies to Seattle departures. Is anyone actually going to book one of these, one must wonder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

 

I am booked on the Queen Elizabeth's pacific coastal cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver that is scheduled to depart on May 30, 2020. I reserved a Queens Grill suite. Of course, I realize that the Canadian ports are closed through June and this cruise will be cancelled. However, a Cunard concierge contacted my travel agent today and asked if I have any special requests. It seems strange that they would bother to contact my travel when this cruise won't take place.

 

Chuck

 

Hi Chuck - 

I was VERY tempted to do the same, but didn't pull the trigger.  They've pulled the Q016N 3 night on May 30 from the website, so I would expect you'll get a cancel notice shortly.  Keep us posted!

John

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 3:01 PM, bluemarble said:

Maybe someone already pointed this out, but I just noticed there is now a "Refunds for pre-cruise purchases" page within the "Keeping you updated" section of the Cunard websites. They are offering 110% On Board Credit on a future voyage as an alternative to refunding pre-voyage purchases for voyages departing through August 31, 2020. There's now a form to submit to request a refund of pre-voyages purchases rather than taking the 110% OBC. Here's the text from that page on the US website.

 

Refunds for pre-cruise purchases.

For voyages departing before August 31, 2020.

If you had already lined up extra experiences and treatments on board there’s no need to contact us. We will create an Onboard Credit (to be used the next time you sail with us, or indeed, rolled over from one voyage to the next) to the value of 110% for any purchases you may have made through My Cunard or our customer contact center.

 

Those guests who would prefer a 100% cash refund should fill out this web form and we ask that you refrain from calling the customer contact center. Due to the extraordinary circumstances associated with COVID-19 and the associated impact to our customer contact center team and wider business, refunds may take up to 60 days to be processed.

If and when they start cruising again, can you imagine the lineups at the purser's desk, with all these 'trust us, it's automatically credited to your account'? I wouldn't be an onboard "guest services" employee for all the tea in China. It all presupposes that the land-side administration know what they're doing and get it all right, up front.
Just like their website.

Edited by Canuker
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

 

For some reason Cunard is still accepting bookings for the Vancouver-Alaska season starting on the 2nd of June. Holland America and Princess are selling Alaska cruises from Vancouver starting in mid-May.  The same applies to Seattle departures. Is anyone actually going to book one of these, one must wonder.

The following notice is on the Port of Vancouver website:

 

Information update: As a response to COVID-19, the Government of Canada has deferred the start of the cruise ship season in Canada, from April 2, 2020, to July 1, 2020, at the earliest.

The safety of passengers and guests who visit Canada Place is extremely important to us. We will continue to be in discussions with our cruise line partners over the next few months, as we actively monitor the Canadian and international response to this extraordinary circumstance.

For information on changes to your cruise, please contact the cruise line directly.

 

 

Edited by Sopwith
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Agree. I would take the cash. 

 

17 hours ago, Canuker said:

If and when they start cruising again, can you imagine the lineups at the purser's desk, with all these 'trust us, it's automatically credited to your account'? I wouldn't be an onboard "guest services" employee for all the tea in China. It all presupposes that the land-side administration know what they're doing and get it all right, up front.
Just like their website.


 

I was watching one of the YouTube cruise bloggers who made a good point that with all this FCC about, it’s likely that when the cruise lines do start operating again then it may be difficult to get on the more popular cruises. The cruise lines are likely to also hike the prices up and you will find your FCC not going as far as you thought.  He suggested taking land based holidays until things settle down again 12 to 18 months.

 We will be taking the cash with Cunard as we have cancelled cruises with Princess and FCC  with them can be transferred to  an existing booking and we have one booked in Oct 21.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, KetoCruiser said:

 


 

I was watching one of the YouTube cruise bloggers who made a good point that with all this FCC about, it’s likely that when the cruise lines do start operating again then it may be difficult to get on the more popular cruises. The cruise lines are likely to also hike the prices up and you will find your FCC not going as far as you thought.  He suggested taking land based holidays until things settle down again 12 to 18 months.

 We will be taking the cash with Cunard as we have cancelled cruises with Princess and FCC  with them can be transferred to  an existing booking and we have one booked in Oct 21.

 

I certainly won't predict the future, but after reading the comments attributed to the cruise blogger the situation could be the exact opposite. There could be a huge number of people reluctant  to book a cruise. They may remember the rapid spread of disease; some ships wandering the seas looking for a port that will allow them to dock;  passengers who have been off-loaded at ports prior to their destination; other passengers abandoned thousands of miles from home by the cruise line after voyages were cancelled.  There could be some great deals if there are far more cabins to fill than potential passengers.

 

Although we can hardly wait to get back on a Cunard ship, for the purposes of travel insurance I can't book anything as long as the two advisories from the Canadian government are in effect - and there is no end in sight for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, here's my situation,  Alaska cruise in June, deposit paid & also flights & hotels paid in full through TA, they want the cruise balance of just under £4k tomorrow or we lose the £1200 already paid.  We know the cruise cannot take place as per the Cnadian government website butt Cunard are still listing it!   Do we pay the balance on a credit card or.........?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to cancel our TA cruise. I just rebooked for a 21 day cruise end of March 2021. since I had not gotten the future cruise credit (cancelled 3/12/2019) I could hold the room and cruise until it arrives with no money due at this point. We still get the 60% previous cruise fare cash back. They told me 60 days! 

 

Q5, $900 on Board Credit, free Drinks and Gratuities


I recommend to book your future cruise as soon as possible. They had 1 Q5 room left for Dubai - Southampton. No Princess Grill. Everybody is rebooking, so 2021 will be sold out soon.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Simon Palethorpe, Cunard is on a You Tube video announcing that they will not sail before 15 May this year. 

That is what is known as a safe bet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Simon Palethorpe, Cunard is on a You Tube video announcing that they will not sail before 15 May this year. 

Even that seems optimistic. At best, sailings may resume in the final quarter of the year, at worst well into next year. It depends on how long it takes for it to be deemed safe to start shipping people internationally - particularly when that travel is non essential. Getting insurance is going to be quite difficult before antiviral drugs at the bare minimum are available in quantity. Then, of course, there's the simple logistics of getting ships back fully crewed, stocked, and in position to pick up what's left of their schedules for this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...