Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
LittleFish1976

Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

Recommended Posts

On 2/28/2020 at 2:37 AM, annmarz said:

To answer my own question:  A Cunard rep just told me that I can expect a refund within 10-15 days of the date of cancellation.

My refund turned up on my credit card yesterday, so about 10 days after the cancellation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Port authorities in Mauritius recently stopped Sun Princess from docking. The company said no passengers or crew had any signs of coronavirus. When docked in nearby Reunion some passengers were prevented from disembarking due to protestors. The ship is now heading to Freemantle.

 

QM2 is due in Mauritius on 22 March and in Reunion on 23 March. I wonder if these ports will be more welcoming?

 

 

Edited by longton
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What happens if the airline cancels our flight due to this Coronavirus thing? We are due to fly United MAN/EWR on April 23rd but they have cancelled flights recently. I am checking the United website every other day. We booked DIRECT with Cunard, they booked the flights not us.

Edited by ace2542

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What happens if the airline cancels our flight due to this Coronavirus thing? We are due to fly United MAN/EWR on April 23rd but they have cancelled flights recently. I am checking the United website every other day. We booked DIRECT with Cunard, they booked the flights not us.

 

Presumably, if Cunard booked it, they should and will sort it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

 

Presumably, if Cunard booked it, they should and will sort it.

 

So if Cunard are unable to secure an alternative flight, bearing in mind the cruise is eastbound TA April 25th with no chance to catch the ship once it sets sails what would happen?

Edited by ace2542

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, if Cunard are unable to find a transatlantic flight at about the right time, things will be so serious that the loss of a holiday may be minor in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 5:45 AM, GillCC said:

Did they say how the refund will be issued? Will it be to the card used to pay for the holiday? That will a big balance on a credit card that can’t be withdrawn as cash!

The refund appeared as a credit on the card I used to pay for the fare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 6:52 AM, longton said:

Port authorities in Mauritius recently stopped Sun Princess from docking. The company said no passengers or crew had any signs of coronavirus. When docked in nearby Reunion some passengers were prevented from disembarking due to protestors. The ship is now heading to Freemantle.

 

QM2 is due in Mauritius on 22 March and in Reunion on 23 March. I wonder if these ports will be more welcoming?

 

 

It looks like Sun Princess had a recent call in Singapore.  I wonder if that is why they were denied.  Makes me happier yet that Cunard acted early to stay clear of Asia.  I guess if we are denied access it's hard to argue with additional sea days on QM2.

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, annmarz said:

The refund appeared as a credit on the card I used to pay for the fare.

If the credit card has no balance due, a cash refund can be requested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

 

We are booked on QM2 cruise MOO9 joining in Cape Town April 1st 2020, anyone else booked on this cruise?

 

My wife and are concerned regarding this cruise on two accounts, recent reviews and Coronavirus.

 

I have contacted Cunard regarding their duty of care for passengers, and what procedures are in place, received the standard reply which did not re assure us, I am thinking of cancelling but Cunard will not refund a penny, as per their T&C's.

 

Having read recent reviews on this forum, if you booked via a travel agent as we have people were left to their own devices, not very customer friendly. also reviews state poor customer service onboard, ship looking tired I know it is for a refit soon, but I have paid for a five star service and expect it to be.

 

Hindsight is a great thing, if we had not already booked, I would not of booked this or any other cruise,  Cunard showing ALL levels of cabins are still available with three weeks to go, even though they have today slashed prices - looks like people are not cruising until this virus is sorted out.

 

I can see us sailing straight from Cape Town to Southampton with no stops in Namibia, Madeira or Tenerife, that will be boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best place to find fellow passengers is on the roll call here

 

There is a single roll call for the World Cruise so you can chat to those already on board as well as those boarding soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other cruise lines like Crystal and Viking are allowing cancellations without penalty in exchange for Future Cruise credits.  There is a rumour Princess will do the same.  I can't imagine Cunard not altering its policy especially if New York and London become COVID19 hot spots.  I think they are just waiting to see what will happen before acting.  I have a Transatlntic on another line in late April from Miami and on the QM2 in June westbound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a survey last week from Cunard and one of the questions was specifically about Coronavirus. It asked whether I'd be more or less reassured by various statements/policies. 'Cancellation with no penalty' was one of the options as was 'pick an alternative cruise with no penalty' so Cunard are almost certainly thinking about allowing cancellations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess have just announced their new cancellation policy. It so disappointing that a company like Cunard are not treating their loyal customer base with similar consideration. We have transatlantic crossings booked in May and June and the thought of becoming ill during the crossing is weighing heavily. We just want the chance to move our booking or a future cruise credit. If we have to cancel and lose our money, I think it would be the end of our association with Cunard. The true measure of any company is how it treats its customers when things go wrong and Cunard are failing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that, depending on the fare booked, one could change one's booking to a cruise of equal or greater value anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I thought that, depending on the fare booked, one could change one's booking to a cruise of equal or greater value anyway.

 

Not within the 90 day window before the cruise though?

Edited by resistk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

Princess have just announced their new cancellation policy. It so disappointing that a company like Cunard are not treating their loyal customer base with similar consideration. We have transatlantic crossings booked in May and June and the thought of becoming ill during the crossing is weighing heavily. We just want the chance to move our booking or a future cruise credit. If we have to cancel and lose our money, I think it would be the end of our association with Cunard. The true measure of any company is how it treats its customers when things go wrong and Cunard are failing.

 

My thoughts exactly! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure more cancellations are ahead.  Cunard did a great job on the canceled Asian itineraries last month.  Cancellations by the airlines will probably force their hand a bit, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

 

I hope that Cunard eases its cancellation policies soon. I am booked on a Queen Victoria seven-day cruise that departs from Southampton in late April. If I cancel now, the penalty would be 50% of the amount that I have paid. I am waiting to see what happens.

 

Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only person who doesn't want to cancel, but is worried Cunard might be forced to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

 

I hope that Cunard eases its cancellation policies soon. I am booked on a Queen Victoria seven-day cruise that departs from Southampton in late April. If I cancel now, the penalty would be 50% of the amount that I have paid. I am waiting to see what happens.

 

Chuck

We are on QV in mid-April, sounds like the itinerary just before yours.  We're waiting to see what Cunard does.  Another 4-6 weeks is a good amount of time to either get covid19 under control, in which case we'll gladly go, or not, in which case Cunard will probably have to cancel.  I am certain that travel-related companies are discussing what to do, and when, pretty much round the clock right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So funny - I'm like you, Exlondoner;  I really really want to go!  But I have a pretty good immune system.

Edited by alc13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I really want to go on my cruise, too! The Queen Victoria is one of my favorite ships and I like the itinerary. I hope that the situation improves and we are able to go.

 

Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked on QM2 May 13 eastbound.  It is basically a better way to get to Europe than flying from California. Our main onward destinations were paris and northern Italy.

given our ages and pre- existing health issues, we are planning to cancel. If we cancel before March 13 we lose 40%. I have been holding off hoping they ease up the cancellation policy.  We are platinum.  We also have a deposit currently on another TA in September, but we can still cancel that without penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...