Jump to content

Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I can only speak with regards to bookings and refunds in the UK but having contacting Cunard UK with regards to refund of a cruise cancelled by them they informed me that the reason why refunds are taking such a long time that Cunard staff are also carrying out refunds for P&O due to low staff numbers.                As a result, we have minimal staff operating their day to day functions remotely from home, as well as refunding guests for our sister company, P&O Cruises.

 

Lighten to mood - Tongue in cheek.

 

OMG!   My PCS is actually going close to a P&O Cruise.... 😱

What happened to the Cunard safe distancing protocol regarding P&O?😷

Hope a hand sanitiser and mask is being used... 

😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 2:40 PM, deck chair said:

Hi

 

BEFORE you file a dispute in America please be sure to read up on what qualifies for a chargeback.  Easily researched on internet.  Plenty of resources.  You do not want to dispute casually.  Also, check out the Fair Credit Billing Act for more information.  I have a feeling having to  wait for a refund cannot be disputed.

 

Deck Chair

Interesting, although I'm not sure accurate. I am in the USA and waited the 30 days and then filed a credit card dispute and my money was back in my account within 24 hours. If the cruise line were to contest I have kept all of the detailed communications detailing how they cancelled the cruise and therefore did not provide the service for which I had paid. Using your feeling does Cunard now have the right to determine when I get a refund (one month, two months or maybe a lot more) for the service they cancelled and failed to provide. I would be very surprised were that the case. While I realise this was not Cunard's fault, neither was it mine and at no time did I agree to give Cunard an interest free loan over an extended period. For what it's worth I also had a Princess cruise to Europe booked and had my funds for that tied up with them.....same story!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I received a phone call from a nice young man at Cunard.  First time they have ever called me.  He let me know that Cunard is thinking of me and expressed concern about my health and the health of my family.  Very nice.  I replied that I've been thinking about Cunard as well, especially regarding my June 21 QM2 crossing for which I have fully paid and whether Cunard is considering any cancellations beyond the current date of May 15.  I told him that given the warnings of the CDC, the situation in NYC regarding confinements, and the fact that other lines have cancelled further out, I did not think my crossing would sail.  I also expressed concern about reports of the long processing time at Cunard for refunds on cancelled cruises.  He told me he would forward my concerns to management and I wished him luck with that.  A very nice man and a very nice call, but I can't resist feeling cynical about the marketing aspects of this outreach while so many formerly loyal customers await the inevitable cruise cancellations and long delays in refunds.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tv24 said:.  He told me he would forward my concerns to management and I wished him luck with that.  A very nice man and a very nice call, but I can't resist feeling cynical about the marketing aspects of this outreach while so many formerly loyal customers await the inevitable cruise cancellations and long delays in refunds.  


So there was no reassurance from this nice young man about your sailing?  No indication one way or the other whether it would indeed take place?  Seems an odd waist of their time just to “check in”. Are you in Queens Grill and was he looking to get your preferences for stocking your stateroom bar?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, usmprez said:

Interesting, although I'm not sure accurate. I am in the USA and waited the 30 days and then filed a credit card dispute and my money was back in my account within 24 hours. If the cruise line were to contest I have kept all of the detailed communications detailing how they cancelled the cruise and therefore did not provide the service for which I had paid. Using your feeling does Cunard now have the right to determine when I get a refund (one month, two months or maybe a lot more) for the service they cancelled and failed to provide. I would be very surprised were that the case. While I realise this was not Cunard's fault, neither was it mine and at no time did I agree to give Cunard an interest free loan over an extended period. For what it's worth I also had a Princess cruise to Europe booked and had my funds for that tied up with them.....same story!

HI

 

I am curious what the dispute was about  where you received your money back 24 hours after filing it.  I am not an expert on credit card disputes.  I am only encouraging consumers to read up on the law before going down that path.

 

Deck Chair

Link to post
Share on other sites

The dispute was simple. I paid in good faith for a service that the provider cancelled and I never received. To my knowledge most credit card companies here will, upon filing a dispute, always issue a temporary credit until the vendor can prove the charge was justified. Same really as if you booked and paid for a dinner at a restaurant for you and your wife and when you arrived the restaurant had closed. I suspect you might live in the UK as you referenced " The Fair Credit Act". Not sure if we have anything similar in the US, although we do have "A Fair Credit Reporting Act" which I suspect is something completely different. In any event a vendor here cannot take money for a service, fail to provide it and then dictate to you when he will refund your money. Providing you have kept detailed records of the cancellation notifications received from the vendor, I cannot envisage any challenge they raise being successful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:


So there was no reassurance from this nice young man about your sailing?  No indication one way or the other whether it would indeed take place?  Seems an odd waist of their time just to “check in”. Are you in Queens Grill and was he looking to get your preferences for stocking your stateroom bar?

The only thing he said was that there may be an announcement later this week from Cunard regarding cruises beyond May 15.  That was all.  I can see you are somewhat cynical as well, Clipperin, and I suppose that is warranted.  This call was clearly a weird marketing effort to keep me as a customer based upon my status as a frequent Cunard sailor.  I love the QM2 and dearly hope to return someday, but am not feeling a lot of love these days regarding how Cunard is handling this crisis for those of us who have fully paid for cruises.  Marketing phone calls don't help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tv24 said:

The only thing he said was that there may be an announcement later this week from Cunard regarding cruises beyond May 15.  That was all.  I can see you are somewhat cynical as well, Clipperin, and I suppose that is warranted.  This call was clearly a weird marketing effort to keep me as a customer based upon my status as a frequent Cunard sailor.  I love the QM2 and dearly hope to return someday, but am not feeling a lot of love these days regarding how Cunard is handling this crisis for those of us who have fully paid for cruises.  Marketing phone calls don't help.

 

The "crisis" is that people are ill, people are dying, some travellers are still stranded a long way from home, and cruise companies have no income and most of their administrative staff in lockdown at home.  Having your holiday cancelled is not a crisis.  Almost all passengers are protected four times over - by their legal rights in the event of cancellation, by their credit card, by their travel insurance, and by compensation schemes if the travel company or agent goes out of business.  People just need to be patient, and show a little more understanding for those who are still trying to do their jobs in unprecedented and very challenging circumstances.

Edited by IB2
+
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, usmprez said:

Interesting, although I'm not sure accurate. I am in the USA and waited the 30 days and then filed a credit card dispute and my money was back in my account within 24 hours. If the cruise line were to contest I have kept all of the detailed communications detailing how they cancelled the cruise and therefore did not provide the service for which I had paid. Using your feeling does Cunard now have the right to determine when I get a refund (one month, two months or maybe a lot more) for the service they cancelled and failed to provide. I would be very surprised were that the case. While I realise this was not Cunard's fault, neither was it mine and at no time did I agree to give Cunard an interest free loan over an extended period. For what it's worth I also had a Princess cruise to Europe booked and had my funds for that tied up with them.....same story!

Anyone wanting to do a chargeback should be aware that companies can and do blacklist customers for doing just that. It might be your legal right to do so but the company has the legal right not to do further business with you.

 

I would only ask for a chargeback if I was absolutely sure that I never wanted to cruise with a Carnival Corp brand again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

 

Anyone wanting to do a chargeback should be aware that companies can and do blacklist customers for doing just that. It might be your legal right to do so but the company has the legal right not to do further business with you.

 

I would only ask for a chargeback if I was absolutely sure that I never wanted to cruise with a Carnival Corp brand again.

 

Really?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

 

Anyone wanting to do a chargeback should be aware that companies can and do blacklist customers for doing just that. It might be your legal right to do so but the company has the legal right not to do further business with you.

 

I would only ask for a chargeback if I was absolutely sure that I never wanted to cruise with a Carnival Corp brand again.

Cruising with  Carnival Corp brand again was, to be honest, the least of my concerns. In any event, and I don't wish to appear argumentative, but when this is all over I would be absolutely astounded if the Carnival that emerges on the other side were to turn down anybody's money!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, North West Newbie said:

 

Really?

Absolutely. This article mentions it. Companies don't want customers running to their credit card providers rather than trying to resolve the dispute between them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/clairetsosie/2017/03/16/when-you-should-and-shouldnt-dispute-a-credit-card-purchase/#7bfa48592e39

 

I've also read about EasyJet automatically blacklisting anyone who initiates a chargeback causing problems for people who have had their card details stolen and used to purchase flights. They rightly get fraudulent transactions reversed but EasyJet have put the poor person who has been defrauded on the blacklist not the thief refusing to change it until the press have got involved.

 

1 hour ago, usmprez said:

Cruising with  Carnival Corp brand again was, to be honest, the least of my concerns. In any event, and I don't wish to appear argumentative, but when this is all over I would be absolutely astounded if the Carnival that emerges on the other side were to turn down anybody's money!

Like you, I don't want to be argumentative and tone is hard online! I just wanted to highlight one of the risks so that everyone can make the right decision for them. That's going to be different for different people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tv24 said:

The only thing he said was that there may be an announcement later this week from Cunard regarding cruises beyond May 15.  That was all.  I can see you are somewhat cynical as well, Clipperin, and I suppose that is warranted.  This call was clearly a weird marketing effort to keep me as a customer based upon my status as a frequent Cunard sailor.  I love the QM2 and dearly hope to return someday, but am not feeling a lot of love these days regarding how Cunard is handling this crisis for those of us who have fully paid for cruises.  Marketing phone calls don't help.

 

I completely appreciate and indeed applaud the attempt by Carnival/Cunard to stay engaged with its customers during this very uncertain period.  But they risk coming across as tone deaf as well, especially when they talk about crew Zumba classes and scone recipes.  I too am huge fan of QM2 and the Cunard style of travel, so I wish them nothing but success.  They do appear to be missing the mark of late though.  Hopefully though they can fully recover once this crisis is in the rear view mirror, which may be some time away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

 

Anyone wanting to do a chargeback should be aware that companies can and do blacklist customers for doing just that. It might be your legal right to do so but the company has the legal right not to do further business with you.

 

I would only ask for a chargeback if I was absolutely sure that I never wanted to cruise with a Carnival Corp brand again.

There are other cruise lines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first applied for refund it was promised in 45 days, for later applications it has risen to 60 days.

 

I will patiently wait for the 45 days then if needed give them a call as a reminder , and perhaps an extra week or two. Using the credit card charge back will be a very last resort. But if I have to use it I  will and there are other cruise lines if Cunard blacklist me,  I will be blacklisting  them

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyhow, fear not, Cunard will just have emailed you a scone recipe, and forumites can look forward to recreating afternoon tea in their kitchens over the next few days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have booked a Cunard cruise departing mid-August. I have paid a deposit and the balance is due in about 3 weeks.
 

It seems highly unlikely that cruise will now run because of Coronavirus. As it was to celebrate a special event an alternative cruise/date would not be acceptable to me. 
 

Under the current Coronavirus cancellation terms it appears that if I cancel now I will get a FCC (future cruise credit) for the value of the deposit. This is unlikely to be of use to me. 
 

My alternative is to pay the balance and hope the cruise is cancelled, they’ll probably offer a FCC but I should be able to insist on a full refund. However this is a bit of a risk as if they don’t cancel I’m not sure I’d be happy going on the cruise and, even though they’re allowing cancellation up to 48hrs before departure, I’d only get a FCC (no use to me). 
 

Any advice?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've issued (is that the right word ?) a charge-back with Visa just twice, each time after contacting the companies concerned multiple times and finding they did not take the matter seriously. I have no intention of ever giving either of those two companies my business (both for goods, not services) ever again , so if they wanted to put be on a "blacklist" then it makes no odds to me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nakb said:

I have booked a Cunard cruise departing mid-August. I have paid a deposit and the balance is due in about 3 weeks.
 

It seems highly unlikely that cruise will now run because of Coronavirus. As it was to celebrate a special event an alternative cruise/date would not be acceptable to me. 
 

Under the current Coronavirus cancellation terms it appears that if I cancel now I will get a FCC (future cruise credit) for the value of the deposit. This is unlikely to be of use to me. 
 

My alternative is to pay the balance and hope the cruise is cancelled, they’ll probably offer a FCC but I should be able to insist on a full refund. However this is a bit of a risk as if they don’t cancel I’m not sure I’d be happy going on the cruise and, even though they’re allowing cancellation up to 48hrs before departure, I’d only get a FCC (no use to me). 
 

Any advice?

Personally I would  not give them the final payment. Eventually they will have to refund the deposit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Personally I would  not give them the final payment. Eventually they will have to refund the deposit. 

That doesn’t seem good advice, since surely the deposit would be forfeit if you don’t pay the balance when due?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they cancel the cruise, they will have to refund the deposit. This is just what Inwould do. Would not want to give them more money and wait months to get it back. Yes, I would 

 take the risk of the cruise going and losing the deposit. 
 

The question might be, Woukd you want to go if the cruise by some miracle happens or are you ok losing the deposit because you know you wont go.. i cancelled my Sept cruise because I would not go. Of course I did so before the 120 days so I transferred deposit next year. I am in the US so have different rules re deposits.

 

Edited by oskidunker
Link to post
Share on other sites

My TA just called Cunard to file for a refund for me. We are supposed to be sailing on May 29th 2020 from San Francisco to Vancouver, which obviously can't happen due to Government bans on cruise ships in both the U.S and Canada.

Cunard told him the cruise is sill sailing but if I would like to cancel I will only have to forfeit 50% of the full fare I have paid. They advised me not to wait until April 30th to cancel because then I will loose 75% of my fare. So shady!!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

If they cancel the cruise, they will have to refund the deposit. This is just what Inwould do. Would not want to give them more money and wait months to get it back. Yes, I would 

 take the risk of the cruise going and losing the deposit. 

 

 

It may be different in the US, but here, if you cancel the cruise you lose the deposit: if they cancel the cruise, you get your money back...when they've dealt with more urgent things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

#juicyjuju - how can this sailing be happening?  since the US has banned cruises, then the ship will not be in our ports!  Shouldn't your travel agent be telling you this?  something doesn't sound quite right here..........can you please come back and update us a bit more on this?  I am waiting to be cancelled on a transatlantic for June 7th, perhaps you may want to wait a couple more days?  didn't someone say that we may hear a bit more by the end of the week?   many thanks....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...